HL!!!.......Here's some MLS news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL!!!.......Here's some MLS news

***Major League Soccer logged a third straight regular-season attendance record in 2016, and the league now ranks sixth in the world in attendance -- ahead of Italy's Serie A and France's Ligue 1, according to ESPNFC.com…….Sunday also saw MLS set a record for most fans in a single day with 283,807…….For the year, MLS drew more than 7 million fans across 330 matches. Average attendance per match was 21,692, up slightly vs. 2015.

***Michael Bradley is contemplating a return to Serie A. Both A.C. Milan & Bologna F.C. have approached him.

***Both of the 2015 MLS Cup finalists have failed to make the playoffs for the 2016 MLS Cup – Columbus Crew & Portland Timbers (defending champions)…….In 2015, NYCFC, Philadelphia Union & Colorado Rapids finished 17th, 18th & 19th overall, in a 20 team league. In 2016, Colorado Rapids, NYCFC & Philadelphia Union finished 2nd, 4th & 13th overall, all made the playoffs.

***Chicago Fire is the latest MLS team to poach a European youth coach. The new Chicago Fire Academy Technical Director, Cedric Cattenoy, comes over from the Paris Saint-Germain Academy.

***It seems that Robert Kraft is finally making the move to get the New England Revolution their own soccer stadium. They are in discussions to secure a site in downtown Boston (Dorchester on Boston’s south side)…….I’m happy to see that MLS teams are now realizing that their stadiums need to be in the city, and not the suburbs.

I’m going with FC Dallas to win the 2016 MLS Cup (also thought they would have won it last year), even without their midfield general, Mauro Diaz, who tore his Achilles tendon last week. They’ve already won the U.S. Open Cup & the Supporter’s Shield, this season, and just advanced to the CCL quarterfinals.

How is the Jamaican contingent doing in the MLS this season?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Blake is the only stand out this year.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I have said it before...and i'll say it again.

The business model for the MLS is superior to the European counterpart.......

It's the top three teams in the European league-- that always win their respective championship. Leicester winning last year was an outlier.

In the case of Scotland...there is only one team....Celtic.

Not surprised about attendance USAF.

Very good update!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
          I have said it before...and i'll say it again.

The business model for the MLS is superior to the European counterpart.......

It's the top three teams in the European league-- that always win their respective championship. Leicester winning last year was an outlier.

In the case of Scotland...there is only one team....Celtic.

Not surprised about attendance USAF.

Very good update!
          There is no question that a monopoly is a better business model for those that hold the monopoly. However, wouldn't it be great if local Atlanta teams like Concorde Fire or Top Hat could aspire to put out an MLS team in the future? That's the problem with the American model, the community clubs are shut out and their business is now limited as they can never crack the closed MLS system. In Europe, you and Sass could form an Atlanta club and at least aspire to achieving great heights. Not so in America.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Good point.

I also like the relegation/promotion system.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

5 Jamaicans play for teams that have qualified for the MLS Cup playoffs, which starts tomorrow Oct. 26.

Kemar Lawrence (NYRB - 1st in Eastern Conference)
              Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union - 6th in Eastern Conference)
              Oniel Fisher (Seattle Sounders - 4th in the Western Conference)
              Demar Phillips & Omar Holness (RSL - 6th in the Western Conference)

Comment

It's a case of once bitten, twice shy.......The old NASL, which was open, imploded, and the new NASL isn't doing much better (Tampa Bay Rowdies & Ottawa Fury left the league today to join the USL, who have partnered with MLS, and is GROWING).......MLS has financial & other requirements to enter the league, which they think will help to ensure the teams' & league's long term stability & viability.......There are some teams that were considered "community clubs" (Portland, Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver, Montreal & Orlando City/Austin Aztex), but had to seek INVESTMENTS & make upgrades to the front office & facilities to qualify for MLS.......The U.S. has their model to operate their TOP professional leagues, and since it's been successful I don't think the "European model" will be adopted.

Comment

I don't see the Pro/Rel system adopted by MLS.......Imagine paying/investing over $300M, you finish at the bottom in your inaugural season, and you are relegated.......Can you imagine Arthur Blank's reaction, after investing ALL that money, if that happened to AUFC???
                  Last edited by USAF; October 25, 2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I understand that Atlanta United hired one of the top coaches from Georgia United, the coach then took most of the best players to Atlanta United. Georgia United is about 5 local clubs who work together to compete nationally. These clubs will not be compensated and some of these club has build but can't expand because of glass ceiling.

If Soccer in the south could develop ever 1/5 of the passion for college football in the SEC and ACC in the south, we would be having a lot more pros. The only thing I can see compete with that is Boys and Girls champs for passion. Good thing that blank see the possibility for growth and working on it.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

About 12 MLS academy players have signed with European clubs (in Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A & La Liga), so far this year, and the clubs didn't get any compensation, for the expertise & money they've invested over the years. I guess clubs are getting $crewed at every level.......Doesn't AUFC have an agreement/partnership with Georgia United & other youth teams. What does that agreement/partnership say about player & coach movement between the clubs???

Comment

Working...
                      X