Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckham in Mission Unnecessary

By John May

A famous American once said: "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country."

Former United States president John F Kennedy's patriotic plea seems tailor-made to adapt for David Beckham's mission statement: Ask not what football can do for me but what I can do for football.

After all, Beckham is coming to America to save football. Isn't he?
    Well, actually, probably not. The perception is that Beckham will do for soccer what Pele could not do and put it right at the heart of sport in the United States.

But the Major League Soccer that greets Beckham is a far different beast than the North American Soccer League that Pele and George Best desperately tried to promote.

Soccer now is far more deeply entrenched in American sport than we might think.

Consider a few facts to dispel the myth that US sports fans do not give a fig about soccer.

The 2006 World Cup final attracted more television viewers than baseball's 2005 World Series pulled in on any single night.

Soccer is the most popular recreational sport for boys and girls in the US. More young people play it than any other sport.

The MLS is the 12th most attended top-flight football league in the world.
    So, Americans do like soccer and the MLS has tapped into the market, having learned from the mistakes of the NASL.

German legend Franz Beckenbauer trots out for NY Cosmos

The NASL came into existence in 1968 but almost immediately lost its vital television contract with CBS because of poor ratings.

Any sport wanting to gain a foothold in America needs a strong television presence and back then soccer was effectively trying to wean Americans off mom's apple pie to feed them fish and chips.

The New York Cosmos epitomised the NASL's brash razzamatazz style - with Pele as the poster-child, they averaged gates of 40,000 and topped 70,000 in the Meadowlands stadium they shared with the Giants.
    But elsewhere, the national average was 15,000 and some clubs struggled to pull in 5,000.

Amid spiralling wages, too quick an expansion and young American players with whom the public might have associated being left on the bench, the NASL folded in 1984.

It might have been different had Fifa awarded the 1986 World Cup to the USA instead of Mexico but, like a Fourth of July firework, the NASL took off, had its moment of glory as it exploded, only to fizzle out.

With that, soccer slipped back into obscurity, kicking around in the novelty emporium of various indoor formats.

In 1986, Fifa rectified its mistake by awarding the 1994 World Cup to the USA, with the stipulation that a proper professional league be founded.
    The Americans' love of a big event ensured the World Cup would be a success. The problem was always going to be what happened when the show left town.

MLS was formed on 17 December 1993 but it took until 1996 for the 10-team league to begin and was a sickly child whose chances of survival looked slim. It was not helped by the USA's poor showing at the 1998 World Cup, which only gave fuel to the naysayers and doom-mongers.

A revival came about on the back of committed owners like Lamar Hunt and Phil Anschutz, who through his AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group) owns LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire and Houston Dynamo, and the building of soccer-specific stadiums.

Home Depot is where the heart is for Los Angeles Galaxy

Slowly and unassumingly - two qualities not normally found in American sport - a new generation of players developed and the USA's romp to the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals rekindled interest at just the right time.

The irony was that US players turned their backs on the league that developed them and left for Europe to improve their game.

The MLS's structure also started to pay dividends, with teams controlled by the league and shared income and player contracts negotiated by the league keeping costs in check, while making clubs more appealing to owners and investors prepared to pay the $30m franchise fee.

Crucially, television is now interested. Every MLS match this season will be screened live, many of them on cable channels.

Although Sportsweek magazine estimates that since its inception MLS's losses have totalled $350m, soccer in the US has turned a corner.

LA Galaxy made a profit in 2003 in its first season at the Home Depot Centre, way before England midfielder Beckham galloped over the horizon from Real Madrid.

FC Dallas are also in profit and MLS commissioner Dan Garber expects all clubs to be profitable by 2010 as more build their own, soccer-specific stadiums.

So at the risk of raining on Beckham's tickertape parade, this Hollywood plotline does not involve our hero riding to the rescue of soccer in the States.

But if he can build on what is already there, he might turn the Little House on the Prairie into a mansion.

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

I watched SPL Celtic v. MLS All-Stars last night. Beckham was in attendance watching the game. His body language suggests he was quite comfortable being here in the US.

He most likely will run out with the LA Galaxy on Saturday against Chelsea.

Beckham has made a great professional and business decision. Just watch the flood-gate of other football stars join the MLS.

SIDEBAR:

His wife is a genius. She made a documentary of the process of the Beckham family 'Coming to America'. It was on TV last night. Quite enjoyable!!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

It's amazing how people become geniuses once they land on US soil. Even our own Jamaican sons and daughters, they all transform into these business gurus as soon as dem ketch, leaving us ignorant natives back on the rock, squabbling over govt. largesse.

I got to get the hell out of here. Again!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah. 'Amerka they say is a land of opportunity. This is true especially if one decides not to take the path of least resistance.

From a Black perspective; I notice that those Blacks who refuse to acknowledge the "race card"--tend to do well.

The late Ron Brown, Secretary of Commerce and Manager of the Democratic Part under Bill Clinton, said he did the same. (He refused to acknowledge bigotry and racism). That's why he achieved all that he did....

SIDEBAR:

Often times it is difficult to 'swim up the river'.......

In life it's best to fight only the battles you know you can win.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

So profits are already on the horizon.
          I miss "Mankine".

Let's revisit the dated FIFA's Big Count figures! -The figures given for registered players in the USA, "Mankine" would find interesting.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifa...ckage_7024.pdf
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

These so called "reality" shows really bug me... i saw snippets of the Coming to America show and most of it is staged... one segment shows her practising to drive on the right and then being pulled over by a cop.. now didn't she just move from Spain where last i checked they drove on the right?...how gullible is the TV audience.

I switched channels. Do I really want to watch a maga foot gyal a drink champagne roun a pool an a chat $ h y t e? (kiss teet).

pr
            Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              Mosiah. 'Amerka they say is a land of opportunity. This is true especially if one decides not to take the path of least resistance.

From a Black perspective; I notice that those Blacks who refuse to acknowledge the "race card"--tend to do well.

The late Ron Brown, Secretary of Commerce and Manager of the Democratic Part under Bill Clinton, said he did the same. (He refused to acknowledge bigotry and racism). That's why he achieved all that he did....

SIDEBAR:

Often times it is difficult to 'swim up the river'.......

In life it's best to fight only the battles you know you can win.
              "Acknowledge bigotry and racism" - what do you mean by that? That we must not recognise it when we see it? And then do something about it?!? Lie yuh a tell, HL. Ron Brown, a man I admired, held big positions in the National Urban League and managed presidential campaigns for not just Bill Clinton, but the man people like you love to hate, Jesse Jackson.

So don't come up in here telling me why Ron Brown was successful. You don't live the kind of life he did by refusing to acknowledge bigotry and racism and the "race card".

Talk what yuh know, HL!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What a ting like Google and Wikipedia eeh? We can chat like we know what wi chatting bout.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

True! But if you lived in the States during the Clinton years, you would know the wonderful job Ron Brown did in rescuing the Democratic party. How HL is going to characterise a man like him 'bout him never acknowledge race...ludicrous!

HL should consult wikipedia before he makes certain statements. But then, the other thing is interpreting what you read.

I think I understand HL's point, despite the bad example. But I am not one of those who languish in race at the expense of progress. But don't think for one minute that I will let racism and bigotry slide. If the Jews don't and they can remain successful, why should black people operate any differently?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But didn't "they" brush out RON BROWN? Don't mind me back to the topic

Comment

YOW! That's the reason I haffi love and respect yuh so much my youth... yuh put people firmly inna dem place just like yuh did to HL who come bout ya with his hollow talk that only confirm his sell-out status. Bredrin you couldn't have said it any better...in fact you are so correct that is only you alone bout ya can carry the name MOSIAH! Who him a try tell bout Ron Brown? Tell him no badda come drag nobaddy inna him sell-out category so if him no know wha him a chat bout, dem him fi just...hush up!

Comment

Working...
                      X