X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourinho warns on Beckham fitness

Mourinho warns on Beckham fitness

Beckham has been struggling with an ankle injury

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has warned LA Galaxy not to take chances with David Beckham's fitness ahead of his proposed debut in Saturday's friendly.

The 32-year-old England star is a major doubt with a troublesome ankle injury after his move from Real Madrid.

Mourinho said: "There is a limit - a pain limit and a consequence limit. If the consequence is that Beckham is one day with a swollen ankle, that is fine.
    "But if the consequence is one or two weeks out, then no."
    Mourinho even hinted Chelsea may take a charitable approach to Beckham if he makes a cameo appearance.
    He said: "Still, I think the game needs him - if not during, then he should do something special before.
    "If he is on for 10 minutes and we are winning the trophy, then we will let him play for free and will make a free-kick for him to score."

Beckham suffered the problem while on England duty against Estonia in June.

"David's feeling a lot better but we will have to wait until game day to make a decision," said Galaxy head coach Frank Yallop.
    "He won't play a big part but we're hoping he can get time on the field."
    Beckham was in Denver on Thursday as guest of Major League Soccer for the MLS All-Star game against Celtic.

And he said: "I've been having a lot of treatment but at the moment it doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

"The swelling's still there. I'm here for five years, not just Saturday."

Galaxy general manager Alexei Lalas also insisted they would take no chances with an injury that also troubled Beckham in the closing weeks of his Real Madrid career.

He told BBC Five Live: "He is improving day to day and we anticipate that he is going to play a part - how big or small we don't yet know.

"It is a big game on Saturday, we know people want to see him play and I don't want to disappoint anybody. And ultimately David doesn't want to disappoint anybody. "He has been adamant since he got here that if there is an opportunity for him to play, he wants to play. "But we also have to recognise that this is a long-term situation and we don't want to do anything that is going to jeopardise his health or our chance of success in the future."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

David Beckham has already earned this year's salary. MLS has received more press (US and international) in the past week then it has in the past decade - ViveYossarian
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X