South American powers eliminated in Rio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South American powers eliminated in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (AP) - The big powers of South American soccer made an early exit from the Pan American Games.

Brazil and Argentina, which share seven World Cup titles, are gone. Ecuador, Bolivia, Mexico and Jamaica have qualified for the semifinals of the tournament, which is being played with under-20 teams.
    Brazil, using an under-17 team but hoping to make a good impression at home, was routed 4-2 by modest Ecuador on Saturday at Maracana stadium and knocked out of contention.

Defending champion Argentina, also with its under-17 squad, was eliminated after a scoreless draw with Colombia.

Brazil, runner-up to the Argentines in 2003, expected little challenge from Ecuador. The Brazilians had won their first two games and needed only a draw to advance to the semifinals.

And Brazil drew first blood through Junior in the 36th minute. But Edmundo Zura pulled Ecuador even a minute before halftime.

It was Zura again in the opening minute of the second half for 2-1.

Brazil became nervous and fell prey to Ecuador's counterattacks, with Jefferson Montero widening the lead to 3-1.

Alex narrowed the gap for Brazil, but Ecuador's Pablo Ochoa put the game out of reach five minutes from fulltime with the final goal.

The Brazilians were booed by local fans after the match.

Argentina had no apologies for its poor showing at the Pan Ams, when it didn't win a single game.

"I know the South American national teams and I knew we weren't at the same level," coach Miguel Tojo said. "We came to practice."

Bolivia, rarely a threat away from its lofty Andes homeland, won its group with a 2-0 victory over Venezuela on a pair of first-half goals by Juan Fierro.

Mexico got goals from Rodolfo del Real and Enrique Esqueda in the final 15 minutes to knock out the United States 2-0.

"I'm very pleased," Mexico coach Isidoro Garcia said. "I think it was our best game of the tournament."

Surprising Jamaica routed Haiti 4-0 for its third straight win - a feat unmatched in the tournament - to qualify for the final four.

In the semifinals on Tuesday, Bolivia will face Ecuador, while Mexico plays Jamaica
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

The semifinalists are three countries that excel at high altitude and low altitude Jamaica - interesting!

Is Rio at sea level?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X