X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materazzi comes clean on clash with Zidane

Materazzi comes clean on clash with Zidane

September 5, 2006
    ROME (Ticker) - Apparently, French soccer star Zinedine Zidane is very touchy when it comes to his sister.

In an interview with Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport published Tuesday, defenseman Marco Materazzi finally revealed that he insulted Zidane's sister, prompting the infamous head-butt that overshadowed the World Cup final in July.

Zidane, who was playing his last game before retirement, has been reluctant to provide details about what the Italian defenseman had said, only confirming that the comments were of a personal nature concerning his sister and mother.

Nearly two months later, Materazzi has come clean. He told the newspaper that Zidane was frustrated by the defender's shirt-pulling and offered to give the Inter Milan player his jersey after match.

Materazzi told the newspaper his replay was, "I would prefer your sister."

Zidane followed with the shocking head-butt to the Italian's chest and was given a red card, forcing the French side to play the final minutes of extra time with just 10 men. Italy went on to claim its fourth World Cup on penalty kicks.

"I answered verbally with a provocation to defend myself," Materazzi told the newspaper. "Yes, I was tugging his shirt, but when he said to me scornfully, 'If you want my shirt so much, I'll give it to you afterwards,' is that not a provocation?

"I answered that I'd prefer his sister, it's true. It's not a particularly nice thing to say, I recognize that. But loads of players say worse things ... I didn't even know he had a sister before all this happened."

Materazzi's revelation comes a day before the rematch between the nations in a Euro 2008 qualifier. The defenseman will miss the contest as he serves his two-game suspension from FIFA for his involvement in the incident.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

RE: Materazzi comes clean on clash with Zidane

Hortikal (9/5/2006)

"I answered verbally with a provocation to defend myself," Materazzi told the newspaper. "Yes, I was tugging his shirt, but when he said to me scornfully, 'If you want my shirt so much, I'll give it to you afterwards,' is that not a provocation?
    What a fool like Materazzi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I had to do a double take when I read the first sentence...tsk tsk tsk
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

how so? by getting the wizard sent off?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Look at the quote, assasin, look at the quote.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X