• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLS rejected $4B media rights deal that

required promotion/relegation.
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...odies/MLS.aspx

Originally posted by USAF View Post
    What position do you take on this issue USAF?
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Did some checking, and I think Silva is grandstanding & trying to stir up controversy:
      1. NASL is the archrival of MLS & for years challenged them for Div.1 status. They have also criticized MLS, in the past, for not having pro/rel & an open system.
      2. Miami FC, Silva’s NASL team, has emerged as the TOP team in the league & knows that Miami FC's growth is limited in the present NASL.
      3. Silva knows that MLS can’t have any discussions nor negotiate any media/broadcast rights deal with any new entity until 2021, but he still approaches them with the "deal" & leaks it.
      4. Even if MLS could negotiate with Silva, he knows that the league wouldn’t agree to a pro/rel system.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        What position do you take on this issue USAF?
        Just repeating the question
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

MLS will not take that. They get more investment from owners and they promise the owners to always have a franchise. Can you imagine if Club like Atlanta which is now getting 50000 a week or Toronto get demoted?

MLS know they have a good thing going and a lot of investment, sponsorship and partnership coming in.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass I would agree with MLS not to take the bid right this minute. Why? MLS is still growing. The feeder system to the league is not fully sorted out. The youth system in the US is average in comparison to the top tier INT'L teams
            (Brazil and Germany comes to mind). We all know that the US wants to be the best in everything it gets into. If MLS takes the deal now; S.America would flood the MLS with talent thus stifling anything home grown. S.America would come away benefiting from a quality league with players from the region looking on as by standers. At the same time I’m not saying S.Americans should not be here but in in a certain quantity.

The US youth system is flawed. Why? Venezuela showed us in the last U20 WC. The Venezuelans come and go as they pleased in the US defensive system. The number 7 of Venezuela kept holding up the ball, waits for two or three US players then moves through them like a hot knife through butter. In short the US players haven’t mastered the art of moving tight spaces (making decisions there too). Look at the present US team in the GC they will pass quickly but once the space is clogged, you see hesitation (not quick decisions) or even turning over the ball. They beat CR because of being the better conditioned team. Notice Klinsman brought in JJ, Brooks, Green et al (players who could play as and counter the Venezuelan type of players) this made the difference in the last WC. At this point KLInsman is the only coach that could match and surpass Tappa in INT’L ball experience (practical that is). Sadly he is fired. The US won’t see the consequences of firing Klinsman until they reach Russiaa next year.

Basically the US needs to bring in Brazilians for their youth development. This way you have coaches that encourages a player to dribble (not ridicule them saying “that’s a dipsy doodle, you are wasting time”). A coach that says try again the reason why you didn’t get by the player is because you showed him too much of the ball or you didn’t execute the trick fast enough. Please note that none of Ja’s youth team cannot beat the US youth team at present (any age level).This way I dispel any accusation of being biased. I’m being objective.

Overall I’m saying just taking a 4billion dollar bid without putting in any thought may just put the US where say England and some other European country stand at present.

Comment

Klingsmann is not a very good coach and Bruce Arena showing him up.He bought in players but he didn't have a clue as to formation and what he wanted. He sideline the MLS players. not giving them chance but bad mouthing them.

Bruce Arena may not be as good in setting policies but he is much better at managing a team and getting his style and message across.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass hold that thought. We will talk next year July (God's willing); time is on our side. No Julian Green? Where's the ball handler to replace JJ? Dempsey to replace JJ, can Dempsey run a full game in Europe next year? We shall see.

Comment

As you see Dempsey new role is 35 minutes a game. Supersub. Bruce got Dempsey to buy in after he wouldn't at first. Maybe he will recall Green but he has options and Bruce not playing them in different positions to fail, he is playing the team to their strength. Look what he had done to kid (Polosi).

I have no problem betting you on that cause I know sometime when I see you again you will be buying the drink -

Comment

Sass Klinsman was a talented baller; hence Klinsman knows talent. Klinsman knows talent that fits the terrain. A WC in Europe is no joke. Non Euro teams have to come well well prepared to achieve any measure of success.

Green is better than that Polusic (sp) kid, it's Donovan and Lalas that's raving about him.

Yup I will take your wager. Put away my beers from now

Comment

Promotion relegation won't work in north america

Comment

There is the contractual agreement: Teams pay to play in MLS (the TOP league), and share in the financial benefits of the league. Not to mention the hundreds of millions they invest in stadium & training facilities.

I think the BIG loser from pro/rel would be investment in youth development - Teams would prioritize $igning foreign talent to bolster their chances of staying in MLS over investment in youth development.

Comment

I am impressed with the Atlanta fan base for a new team. Hope it stays that way.

Seattle has been consistently pulling good numbers for years.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yup, and the next tier down fors not have the infra in place to support promotion

Comment

Working...
                            X