So, it appears Chris Smalling will not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, it appears Chris Smalling will not

be on the plane to Russia. Southgate want CDs who can bring the ball out of the back they say. That is fine, that is how he wants to play. I find it amusing that despite the weekly criticism directed at Smalling he has been a mainstay in MU's backline this season. A team that todate has conceded less goals than all BPL teams excepting the team roun' di corner.

When you look at other teams, their defenders can also defend. Smalling's attitude is give the ball to the outside backs or the midfielders and get back into position. I am now seeing names like Harry Maguire and Michael Keane being named ahead of the MU defender.

Another veteran who may miss out is the man Cahill from Chelsea. He has lost his place in the Chelsea starting team so that is understandable, but Smalling being omitted ...........
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Smalling is on the list of potential players to be sold by Mourinho this summer. What say you?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      Smalling is on the list of potential players to be sold by Mourinho this summer. What say you?
      Wouldn't have a problem as long as a better option comes in. However we need to be careful of discarding a player only to realize his worth when he is elsewhere.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Sometimes a player and the team/coach may not be compatible. Case in point, Luke Shaw. He has a lot of potential but I side with Mourinho regarding him. Time to let him go.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Sometimes a player and the team/coach may not be compatible. Case in point, Luke Shaw. He has a lot of potential but I side with Mourinho regarding him. Time to let him go.
          At what point we gonna start holding Jose for holding the team back? The man too defensive iyah ... and I am already growing tired of it. I like the idea of being willing to change the tactic to address the current situation, but starting out defensive, giving the opponents free reign then making changes to win the game after the opponents score makes no sense.

I still don't see why we're using 2 in front of the back 4. When Pogba is driving forward, he drives the team forward and this continuous bitchin' about Pogba's defensive responsibility is now beyond ridiculous. I see where there is a plan to buy defenders ... I wonder if he realizes that defending isn't MU's problem ... creating and scoring is the issue.

Comment

Smalling is an average center back. He get hurt pretty often and make some critical mistakes at times. He will put in a good display 1 in 3 games. You think if Baily, Jones and Rojo was fit he would be getting so much game?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              Wouldn't have a problem as long as a better option comes in. However we need to be careful of discarding a player only to realize his worth when he is elsewhere.
              A swap yuh Stones fi Smalling............
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Not sure about Stones, with City having the lion's share of possession, he is largely untested and therefore unproven.
                Your two central defenders and keeper could very well be crap, I suspect your upcoming CL game will provide some clarity.
                I would argue our backline, even without Bailly, has done better against Pool.

Comment

They all are prone to making silly mistakes, the real competition to Smalling is Bailly, it is retrofitting when Smalling is fielded on the left, and that occurs almost invariably when he is paired with Bailly.
                  The fact that he is worthy of such consideration speaks to how he averages out better than the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Smalling is an average center back. He get hurt pretty often and make some critical mistakes at times. He will put in a good display 1 in 3 games. You think if Baily, Jones and Rojo was fit he would be getting so much game?
                    Average .... you might be right, the fact is he has been available to play all season. Last season in the Europa League final, he was available to play. All our CDs make mistakes because of the tactic of allowing the opponents to attack us. Bailly scored an og for Pool. Jones for Spurs. Rojo's mistake led to a goal for Watford and Lindelof's mistakes led to a winner for Huddersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      A swap yuh Stones fi Smalling............
                      Well, Stones going to Russia ahead of Smalling. Stones is better at bringing the ball out from the back .... I want my defenders to defend first. Vidic would win the ball pass it off and get close to his mark again. Smalling does the same thing and gets ripped for it.

I wonder if Stones could survive playing for Jose since Jose prefer the opponents to have the ball.

Comment

how long as he been with Manu? He should by now be the Rio Ferdinad of Manu by now. Yes they all make mistakes but he makes it more than others. For me he hasn't improved over the last 4 seasons. Ask Josie if they should make mistakes because they are been attacked and see what he will say.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                        X