X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because Gilberto isn't French ...

Gallas named Arsenal captain

First Published: Aug 09, 2007
    William Gallas, seen here in July 2007, was on Thursday officially named as Arsenal's captain for the forthcoming season by manager Arsene Wenger, after the club earlier said Gilberto Silva had been given the role.

William Gallas was on Thursday officially named as Arsenal's captain for the forthcoming season by manager Arsene Wenger, after the club earlier said Gilberto Silva had been given the role.
    Experienced France centre-back Gallas will be supported by two vice-captains, Brazil midfielder Gilberto and Ivory Coast defender Kolo Toure.
    Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann will also have a supporting role off the pitch.
    Wenger needed to pick a new captain following the sale of France striker Thierry Henry, the club's greatest-ever goalscorer.
    "(The captain) will be William Gallas," Wenger said. "There will also be two vice-captains, Kolo Toure and Gilberto.
    "I feel centre-back is always the best position to lead on the pitch and it is Gallas who has more experience at the back.
    "But Gilberto has always been a great captain and Kolo Toure has a stature too.
    "As well I made a decision that I want all those experienced players, along with Jens Lehmann, to be involved off the pitch. Players like Jens and Gilberto can play the role of a club captain.
    "They can have a very strong impact mentally on the team. I want them to take on that responsibility."
    Gallas is set to lead the Gunners out in their opening English Premiership fixture at home to fellow Londoners Fulham on Sunday.
    One of the Arsenal captain's responsibilities is to decide on the day whether the team wears long sleeves or short sleeves.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

yup not sure why the change.

Comment

"One of the Arsenal captain's responsibilities is to decide on the day whether the team wears long sleeves or short sleeves."

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Working...
      X