Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF Elections: Stephenson undecided

Stephenson

Kingston and St. Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) president, Ambassador A.B. Stewart Stephenson, remains undecided with regard to contesting the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) elections, denoting the issue as a bridge that cannot be crossed before it is reached.

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/articles...168&category=1
    Last edited by Karl; August 18, 2007, 12:05 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Boxhill says he's still in charge as he addresses NPL awardees
    HOWARD WALKER, Observer writer
    Saturday, August 18, 2007

Harbour View skipper Lovel Palmer (second right, foreground) shares a grip of the National Premier League trophy with Wray & Nephew's Andrew Price (left) at Thursday's presentation ceremony at the Pegasus Hotel. JFF president Crenston Boxhill (right) is all smiles. (Photos: Garfield Robinson)

Outgoing president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Crenston Boxhill, made it abundantly clear that he is still in charge of the national programme and will continue the progress.

"There is a wide cross-section of football stakeholders who I personally have profound respect for and whom I think deserves some clarity. In particular, as far as the work of the federation is concerned, we are proceeding to conduct the business of the sport in keeping the immediate priority and needs," he said.

Boxhill made the comments as he addressed the gathering at the Wray and Nephew National Premier League Awards Ceremony at the Pegasus Hotel on Thursday night. Boxhill shocked many in football circles when he announced last week that he would not be seeking re-election in the November Voting Congress of the JFF.

Keynote speaker at Thursday's NPL awards ceremony, Russell Bell (second left), has the rapt attention of (from left) JFF president Crenston Boxhill, Tivoli Gardens FC president Edward Seaga and Wray & Nephew's Andrew Price.

"It became necessary to indicate in the event that it has been lost for some of us that what remains our priority is the development of our players and football... it is not my wish that there be any disruption in the work of the federation," Boxhill noted.

Meanwhile, Harbour View walked away with the new impressive-looking winners' trophy that was later damaged during the handing over. The champions also walked away with a cheque for $2 million.

Harbour View captured several titles, including the Tony Burrowes Award, team with the Most Wins, Top-scoring Team, Coach-of-the-Year and Junior Player-of-the-Year.

Fabian Taylor won the Tony Burrowes Player-of-the-Year trophy, having demonstrated outstanding discipline on and off the field. He was also adjudged to have exhibited exemplary character in relating to teammates, opponents and fans.
    Andrew Price of sponsors Wray & Nephew presents Harbour View's Fabian Taylor (right) with Tony Burrowes Trophy for being adjudged Player-of-the-Year.

Lenworth Hyde bagged the Coach-of-the-Year trophy and $50,000, while goalkeeper Dwayne Miller captured the Junior Player-of-the-Year award and $20,000.
    Lenworth Hyde (left) of Harbour View receives his award for Coach of the Year from national technical director, Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, at Thursday's awards presentation ceremony of the Wray & Nephew National Premier League (NPL) at the Pegasus Hotel in Kingston.

Boys' Town's George Vernal, with nine goals, was surprisingly voted the Player of the Season and collected $50,000; Irvino English of Waterhouse banged in 18 goals and got the top goalscorer trophy and $25,000. The Top Goalkeeper and $20,000 went to Portmore's Shawn Sawyers and his club was voted Best Defensive Team.

The Peter Cargill Award went to Reno FC, while Tivoli Gardens captured the Best Ground Management and Seba United the Fairplay Award.

Kevin Morrison took the Top Referee honour with Ricardo Morgan being the Top Assistant Referee. Anthony Cooke was adjudged the Match Commissary of the Year.

In the Under-21 section, Portmore United were given a special award for capturing the title for the fourth consecutive year with a winning prize of $165,000. Desmond "Gadafi" Smith captured two prizes in the Winning Coach and the Coach-of-the-Year categories and $25,000 in total.

The prolific Jermaine Allen of Tivoli Gardens, with 20 goals, was the Top Goalscorer with Portmore's Gariece McPherson being the Top Goalkeeper.
    Boys' Town have the distinction of having the Player of the Season for both senior and junior players, as Shawn McKoy was adjudged the Player of the Season.

Tivoli Gardens won the Fair Play Award with Top Referee being Oneal Clayton and top Assistant Referee went to Antonnette Williams.

Andrew Price, Wray and Nephew's promotions and communications manager said in light of what is now deemed the silly season with parliamentary elections in the air, his company's sponsorship of football has broken down the political barriers. "In what is considered the silly season with the election in the air, one of our highlights over the years is teams from different political backgrounds can travel to each other's ground with the guarantee that the rivalry will be friendly. During my company's sponsorship we have seen the erosion of the political divide through football," said Price.

Price, who is also coach of Boys' Town, congratulated champions Harbour View on a job well done.

"I must congratulate the Wray and Nephew football league champions for 2006/07 Harbour View Football Club. They are a natural club for people to emulate, but it wasn't an easy ride," he said.

Price reiterated his company's continued devotion to the development of football. "As the public must know by now that Wray and Nephew is deeply committed to the development of football in this country. We see football as the single most unifying activity in this country," he noted.

Russell Bell, a former outstanding national representative, delivered the keynote address and spoke of the popularity of the football compared to his time when cricket was the number one sport.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Stewart Stephenson needs to just go away and stop talking...also the media should stop asking him these questions as obviously the man doe snot have the balls to challenge anyone.

He only ran for KSAFA boss because it was obvious he had enough votes to beat Speid

This has been going on for eight years now and he cant decide up to now....kiss teeth x 100000000000
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

'Stephenson shouldn't run for JFF presidency'

'Stephenson shouldn't run for JFF presidency'
        . Prendergast says move counteracts unity within JFF

BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter - bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
        Sunday, August 19, 2007

Celebrated Jamaican referee Peter Prendergast is disappointed that Kingston & St Andrew FA (KSAFA) boss, Ambassador AB Stewart Stephenson, is considering running for JFF president.

"I think it's really unfortunate that Stewart (Stephenson) is even considering contesting the presidency," Prendergast said.
        "It might be very difficult for him to get even nominated, much less to contest it," the former FIFA official added.

Stephenson, who is in his fourth term as KSAFA boss, said he would make a definite decision tomorrow on whether he will contest the top post, if he can drum up enough support, or failing that, run for vice-president under former president Captain Horace Burrell if the latter is the only nominee for president.

"I've always maintained that in terms of the leadership of the (country's) football, I believe that I have all the capabilities, the skills and the experience to lead and I'm sure that we have those who could form a team," Stephenson told Sunday Observer from Stockholm, Sweden, in a recent exclusive interview following current president Crenston Boxhill's announcement that he would not be seeking re-election.

In accordance with article 7 (F) of the JFF by-laws, the names of candidates for the presidency, first, second and third vice-presidents, treasurer and ex-officio director (executive officer), all of whom are eligible for re-election, must be submitted by at least three members from three separate parish associations to the general secretary 60 days before the date of the Congress - on or before Wednesday, September 5, 2007.

Nominations for the aforementioned positions shall not be accepted on the floor of the Congress.

However, Prendergast, who is president of the Jamaica Football Referees Association (JFRA) and a member of Captain Burrell's backing team, told the Sunday Observer that a run for the top position by Stephenson would go against his claims of wanting to unify the sport in the country.

"Personally I think it is unnecessary and it goes against the grain of the claim that you're trying to unify the JFF, if there is 11 or 12 out of 13 and you're trying to jump in then it is clear that the parishes have thrown their support behind a particular candidate so I'm disappointed about that," Prendergast said.

According to Sunday Observer sources, 11 of the 13 parish associations have indicated their support of former president Captain Horace Burrell for nomination.

He also suggested that a decision to run for president may compromise a bid for the vice-presidency if Stephenson does not get enough support for the top position.

"How will that affect his bid for the post below?" the former international referee questioned. "I think this in itself could be the determining factor."
        The battle for the title of local football's head honcho will culminate at Sandals Negril Beach Resort on November 4, when the association's Special General Meeting (Voting Congress) takes place.

Crenston Boxhill created a major upset by defeating Captain Horace Burrell 54-49 at the last Voting Congress at the Starfish Resort in Trelawny on November 23, 2003.

Comment

It is obvious that our people don't believe that competition is a healthy thing. Right now the 11 parish associations may have nominated the Captain because no other candidate had decided to make themselves available. If Stephenson onw decides that he would run, why would that be a bad thing?

I think however that the JFF needs a decisive leader. The long time considering whether to run by Stephenson says to me that it has been four years he has had to think about this. Why is it that with time running out, he is still undecided?
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
            It is obvious that our people don't believe that competition is a healthy thing. Right now the 11 parish associations may have nominated the Captain because no other candidate had decided to make themselves available. If Stephenson onw decides that he would run, why would that be a bad thing?

I think however that the JFF needs a decisive leader. The long time considering whether to run by Stephenson says to me that it has been four years he has had to think about this. Why is it that with time running out, he is still undecided?

Made no secret that I would welcome the power KSAFA has broken. The Captain has a great opportunity to put in place his team in this time while KSAFA 'weighs her options'.

He should leave KSAFA with only the Head of the CONFED on the Executive Committee. Not one KSAFA delegate as an Officer....i.e. 1st Vice President, Secreatary or Assistant Secretary, Treasurer or Assistant Treasurer...keep the KSAFA influence to bear minimum and become more all-island inclusive. We certainly need each and every nook and cranny of the island getting attention. Work closer with the parishes and ISSA.

Comment

Again seems he is more interested in the title than making a difference. If he is concern about change he dont need to weight his bets and seek a vp post. Again gravy train syndronme.. He will be a vp for burrell.

Comment

Working...
              X