Update on the boys soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on the boys soccer

Another successful club season for the boys. My older one is with the E64/USL Academy U19 team. He turned 17 a few days ago. He is also registered with the MLS Next team as an alternate but hasn’t played with them. Been a busy season playing against top teams such as IMG Academy, Orlando City FC, Inter Miami to name a few. Has played mostly as a defensive mid but sometime rotate to the number 8 position or as an emergency defender. Finally his club is seeing his talent. The highlight of the season is playing in the USL Academy championship in Tampa. The younger one is playing a regional league SCCL. He was given a spot on NASA regional ENCL team (The top ECNL program in the country) but we had to decline because travel and having two kids playing. However he has had a great season playing center back and right back. He is a lockdown defender but also love to overlap and be on the offensive side of the game. He is 15 but towards the end of the season the coach asked him to play on a U19 team and he was the player of the match for his first u19 game. He is such a good defender that he is hardly beaten. He takes a great 35 yard strike on goal and is very speedy up the wing and recovers well.
    The older one has a Capelli showcase tournament on Jan 6-8 against all MLS Next team. After that is on to High School where they will compete against some the top teams in the USA. Looking forward to see them play on a team together and combine. They love high school because of the preseason training and playing against their friends who play against other team plus high school has more social events. Both were appointed to the Student Athletics Leadership team at their school which only includes 4 soccer players.
    Overall it has been a year of costly travel to places like Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Savannah. Playing at the high level is expensive, and time consuming but also showing them that they can make it even when they were overlooked at an earlier age.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

You too have done an excellent job Assasin!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Thanks HL. It is a lot of sacrifice.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Keep up the good work and stay positive

Comment

Good job Sass. Kid’s sports is so expensive and time consuming. As parents we try to give our kids the best. We also subconsciously do this with the hope that our can be our financial meal ticket. I remember just a few years ago traveling up and down with my wife’s niece all over the north east. She was a very good gymnast who was winning every competition she entered. This was shortly after Gabby Douglas had won her Olympic gold medal and had gotten her big contract endorsement with Kellog. I was already calculating how I would be spending my money after she paid off my mortgage. After all, the child had just won bronze at the state level. One day out of the blue, the likkle pickney seh she done. All my dreams were shattered. Needless to say, she just turned 18 last week and all she got was a happy birthday from Uncle Jangle and a hug.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yeah Jangle I know. The sport thing is very expensive. Seen so many quit at at between 16--18. Part of the problem with Gymnastic at that age is they train at at least 3 hours everyday. It can be hard on a kid. my niece too was a good in that sport. It is very taxing on the body. Seen many youths quit soccer as it become too taxing. Only thing I can tell the parents is if the kid is doing well in sports and school, try and let them have some fun times with other kids. Don't let the sport become a burden. Both boys now know they can earn from soccer been referees so that help keep more interest in the game.

The cost of travelling is something else. Yeah same thing I thought about too. I could have paid down on my mortgage or take some good vacation. I only hope they will at least have it as a lifestyle. I have two more year left so now is the deciding time. Another thing is these colleges are charging players to come to camps to look at them. The robbery which is youth sport have no end.

Comment

Sass generally college camps are money making thing. I would stay away from them.

Comment

Working...
              X