St.g.c....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St.g.c....

ST.George's College (StGC) utilised their home-ground advantage to capture all three trophies and bragging rights over Kingston College (KC) at Saturday's Roper Cup football festival, at Emmett Park.

The Georgians secured their hold on the Roper Cup when the present-day Manning Cup team defeated KC 1-0 for a 3-1 aggregate win, this after their Under-35s side had recorded a 2-1 win over their KC opponents.

Davion Kelly scored the lone goal in the 67th minute from the penalty spot for StGC, the defending Manning Cup and Oliver Shield champions.

The penalty was awarded when St George's College's captain, Devon Williams, was brought down inside the 18-yard box.

Neville 'Bertis' Bell, coach of StGC, was pleased with his team's performance.

"We won the Roper Cup and this was the first thing that we wanted to do and we did that," said Bell.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I am happy with what I saw because this is our first competitive game since the Oliver Shield last year and we know what we need to do to improve," he added

Good performance

Trevor 'Jumpy' Harris, coach of KC, said: "I think it was a good performance, especially playing against the defending Manning Cup and Oliver Shield champions. It is also a good indicator for us ... we still have some work to do before the Manning Cup season begins."

St George's also captured the George Thompson Trophy - contested between the Under-14 and Under-16 teams - 3-1 on aggregate, while both Over-35 teams shared the Pancho Rankine Cup, following a 0-0 draw.

The day's proceedings started excellently for the Light Blues, as they recorded a comfortable 2-0 win over the Purples in their Under-14 match. However, KC fought their way back into the contest to earn a 1-1 draw in their Under-16 game.

Winston Blake, a KC old boy, was this year's honoree for being an outstanding and worthy citizen of the KC/StGC family.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!
Working...
X