Clennon, Anderson are schoolboy MVPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clennon, Anderson are schoolboy MVPs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Clennon, Anderson are schoolboy MVPs</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>KAYON RAYNOR, Observer staff reporter
    Thursday, February 01, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=350 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Manning and daCosta Cup MVPs Andre Clennon of Bridgeport (left) and James Anderson (2nd right) of Glenmuir display their trophies at the Terra Nova All Suite Hotel yesterday. JN's Leesa Kow (second left), ISSA boss Clement Radcliffe (centre) and Andrew Reid of Pepsi share in the moment. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>ANDRE Clennon of Bridgeport High School was the toast at the ISSA Pepsi/JNBS Manning and daCosta Cup football presentation at the Terra Nova All Suite Hotel in Kingston yesterday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Clennon walked away with the coveted Most Valuable Player (MVP) award for the Manning Cup and J$50,000, in addition to the Golden Boot trophy, having scored the most goals (five) in the second round of the urban area competition as Bridgeport secured their second lien on the title.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I feel great knowing that I've won both trophies, because throughout the season I've put in a lot of effort and worked very hard, so it feels good to win these two pieces of silverware," Clennon told the Observer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The daCosta Cup MVP was Glenmuir's captain James Anderson, who led his school to their second title. Like Clennon, Anderson received J$50,000 for being rated as the best player throughout the competition, as well as an additional J$10,000 for being the player of the month in September.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Top marksman Ashton Bennett of Garvey Maceo High was also a double winner, capturing the individual award for most goals scored (23) and the Golden Boot trophy for most goals in the second round (11).<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I accept both awards on behalf of my teammates for the work they did to make me into the top scorer. It feels good because I'm coming from a community (Rocky Point, Clarendon) that is not known for football; it was just my family that really gave the support," Bennett told the Observer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Meanwhile, with both title sponsors, Pepsi and JN, expressing satisfaction that the 2006/2007season was successful, ISSA president Clement Radcliffe reiterated calls for better playing surfaces in the rural areas.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the meantime, dethroned Manning Cup champions Calabar were named most disciplined and most attacking team for their 52 goals, while St Elizabeth Tech (STETHS) with 46 goals were adjudged the best attacking daCosta Cup outfit.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Jamaica College, who conceded only three goals, and Clarendon College (five), were the best defensive Manning and daCosta teams respectively.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bridgeport and Glenmuir each collected $175,000 for copping the respective crowns, in addition to $90,000 apiece for sharing the Olivier Shield.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Clennon, Anderson are schoolboy MVPs

<DIV>Not to take anything away from these outstanding footballers, but, remember back in the day, who would have won these trophies if they were being awarded? We had the likes of Lenny Hyde, Thomas McClean, Chris Ziadie and a host of others who left their mark on national football while in school.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Maybe the old days are always greener.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>sigh</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X