• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenmuir's glory! Walters' charges cop 3rd D'Cup crown

Glenmuir's glory! Walters' charges cop 3rd D'Cup crown

Glenmuir ambush STETHS 1-0 in extra time
    BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
    Sunday, December 02, 2012

CATHERINE HALL, St James — Glenmuir High scored a hard-fought 1-0 extra time win over pre-season favourites and Ben Francis KO champions St Elizabeth Technical (STETHS) in yesterday's final at Montego Bay Sports Complex to notch their third ISSA/Gatorade/Digicel daCosta Cup title and first since 2006.
    Newton Henry's 115th-minute goal was the difference between the schools in a tense game that failed to live up the standard that was expected.

Glenmuir’s captain Kamal Henry (centre) accepts the ISSA/Gatorade/Digicel daCosta Cup from Digicel’s Mark Martin (left) and Gatorade’s Daniel Barnes after beating St Elizabeth Technical 1-0 in the final at Montego Bay Sports Complex yesterday. (Photo: Paul Reid)

1/2

Both teams had combined for over 100 goals leading up the final, but the supporters who turned out were made to wait until the second period of extra time for a goal that came from a goalmouth melee.
    Glenmuir's veteran coach Patrick 'Jackie' Walters, who was mobbed by supporters after the final whistle from referee Veralton Nembhard, told the Jamaica Observer that this win was special because of the new direction the programe at Glenmuir had taken.
    "We have not brought in a single player (on transfer) in the past three years and we don't have one single players repeating fifth form," he pointed out.
    "This new administration at the school is stressing academics and have thrown their full support behind the team, even with the limited budget available to the school," he added.
    Walters described his team as "silent assassins", having managed to keep out of the glare of the media while placing second in Zone M, but stepped up the pace from the Inter-Zone round onwards.
    Walters, who guided the Clarendon school to its previous titles in 2004 and 2006, said he was pleased with the way his players fought hard and while he thought they could have done better, he said winning the title made amends.
    Despite Glenmuir coming into the final with the better offensive record, it was STETHS who had the better of the possessions through a first half that saw very little goalmouth action.
    The pace picked up in the second half as STETHS moved defensive midfielder Rodney Whitter into a more attacking role, and this forced Glenmuir back into their own area for long periods, but failed to break them down.
    Carl Campbell, who worked tirelessly on the right wing, created several chances with some pinpoint crosses, but none of his teammates made use of this service.
    Henry popped up late in the second period of extra time when STETHS failed to get rid of a ball in the area and while falling to the ground in a crowd of players, got enough power on the shot to beat goalkeeper Enrique Rochester into the lower left-hand corner of the goal.
    STETHS hit back with a vengeance and created several scoring chances, but put two good ones inches wide.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2DuD75zEP

Jamaica's Best School Overall

Well, from my teen years I have maintained that Glenmuir High School is, overall, the best high school anywhere in Jamaica. Father Time has repeatedly proved me absolutely correct on this.

So let others continue to waste their little energy talking about their so-called “good school.”

Trust me, I (Historian) firmly endorse this message.

Comment

How many Rhodes Scholars have you produced again?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What factors determine overall? Football and Academics?

Comment

I've heard of this school...vaguely. Somewhere close to Denbigh. Is it a feeder institution for the showgrounds? The name sounds cute...what exactly is a Glenmuir???

Can't recall anything else too significant though
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
            I've heard of this school...vaguely. Somewhere close to Denbigh. Is it a feeder institution for the showgrounds? The name sounds cute...what exactly is a Glenmuir???

Can't recall anything else too significant though
            Really? It's the alma mater of the former Min. of Finance! How could u forget!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Oh yes...did hear that

Don't know how much of a plus that is tho

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Dis is an interesting but currently a subjective and emotionally fraught subject

It needs a decision matrix to establish some objective criteria & indicators of school value...considering school value over time and current value positioning in.... academics, social/community service, leadership & influence, sports, innovation etc

It needs...that statistical matrix so we can plug in relevant data on each contender/pretender and emerge with an objective solution

It needs science....

It needs... Stonigut!!...come on down Stoni

Comment

....and Exile...

Comment

Stop dissing the school...'bout feeder school fi showground...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenmuir_High_School

Comment

We've had a few Roads Scholars...

Comment

Hard work, determination bring Glenmuir success

Published: Wednesday | August 15, 2012 9 Comments

Williams

Karen Sudu, Gleaner Writer

Principal salutes students, teachers for great CSEC results

Glenmuir High in Clarendon is revelling in its excellent performance in the 2012 Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations.
                        Five students - Odane Dawkins, Devena Sinclair, Cushema Weir, Emil Langott and Chedukia Longley - obtained 11 grade-one passes.
                        Nine students got 10 grade-one passes, 15 received nine ones, nine got eight ones, 15 gained seven ones, 17 obtained six ones, 22 got five ones, while 27 gained four ones, and 35 got three grade-one passes.
                        "I expected the results to be good. The students did not disappoint me, and I must also add that we sent up some fourth-formers to do mathematics and the results were outstanding," Principal Monacia Williams shared with The Gleaner.
                        This year, 253 students sat the examinations and Williams said they continued the institution's tradition of remarkable academic performance.
                        CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE
                        "Hard work and determination are what we use to succeed. We start the culture from first form that you can succeed, you must succeed, and you are going to succeed.
                        "We have our prize-giving ceremonies, where all the students who have done well are given prizes for their success. We reward good academic success, and students know that Glenmuir's culture is hard work," she said.
                        Williams, who has been serving her alma mater for 18 years, rose to the position of vice-principal in February, 2009. She was elevated to acting principal in 2010, and appointed principal in January, this year.
                        "The teachers are the ones who enforce the culture at Glenmuir. The teachers work as hard as the students, because no teacher at Glenmuir wants their achievement below that of any other teacher. So teachers work hard to motivate," she added.
                        She said contrary to what some people might believe, the teachers' dedication and commitment to duty have been the catalyst for continued success.
                        "A lot of people believe that because we get students with high GSAT (Grade Six Achievement Test) scores that everything is over and done with, but it is not, because we have to keep them motivated, and we have to ensure that they maintain what they came here with," she noted.
                        Co-CURRICULAR SUCCESS
                        Beside producing outstanding scholars, the institution - founded on September 15, 1958 by the late Rt Reverend Percival Gibson, bishop of Jamaica - has excelled in TVJ's annual 'Schools' Challenge Quiz', as well as in sports, the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission competitions, and music.
                        "The choir took part in the Culturama experience in Florida, Orlando, Tampa, [and] Miami, recently. The choir is responsible for the chorale version of On A Mission; you might have seen them on YouTube. They have been participating in Jamaica 50 cele-brations around the island," she said.
                        Despite its success, the principal pointed out that over the years, the institution had to overcome several challenges on the road to success.
                        "We don't have enough class-rooms. We don't have anywhere near enough labs. What we have in terms of labs is what was there when I was a student, and that was many, many years ago. We convert here and there to serve the purpose of what we don't have," she said.
                        However, she said the parent-teachers' association and various chapters of the past students' association have been providing invaluable support.

Comment

Congrats boss!

Now go ahead and win Oliver Shield.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thanks Sir. Also went to St Jago (6th form) so I enjoy those victories in Track and Sunlight Cup (well back in the days)...not to mention Olympics...

Comment

Thank You, Sir!!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                              Stop dissing the school...'bout feeder school fi showground...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenmuir_High_School
                              Thank you, boss! Let the realistically uneducated continue in their enthusiastic -- albeit silly -- dissing of Glenmuir High School. I could add to what you have posted above, but I really cannot be bothered at this time.

(By the way, I’ve never ever posted down here before, but I just belatedly realized (after searching around) that a moderator had made the appropriate placement for Exile’s wonderful post.)

Comment

Working...
                              X