Not bad Georgians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bad Georgians

Report on CXC results. This is showing our top performers and what position they achieved among the total number of students in the entire island.

CSEC
    • French – 2nd – Calvin WRIGHT
    • Physics – 1st – Jonathan Bair
    - 10th – Jordan THAME
    • Accounts – 3rd- Michael ROBERTSON
    • R.E. – 2nd- Michael ROBERTSON
    • Visual Arts- 8th- Campton WHITE
    • Electrical & Electronic Tech- 2nd- Garth MOSS
    -5th- Mario WALLACE
    - 7th- Chavon KERR
    - 8th- Joshua CHRISTIE
    -10th- Lamar-Shea CHANG

CAPE
    • Electrical (Unit 1) - 8th – Brendon FORBES & Chad MULLINGS
    • I.T. (Unit 1) - 10th- Fiona EBANKS
    • Art & Design( Unit 2) - 1st- Dominic GOCOUL
    -2nd – Joshua SOLAS

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    Report on CXC results. This is showing our top performers and what position they achieved among the total number of students in the entire island.

CSEC
    • French – 2nd – Calvin WRIGHT
    • Physics – 1st – Jonathan Bair
    - 10th – Jordan THAME
    • Accounts – 3rd- Michael ROBERTSON
    • R.E. – 2nd- Michael ROBERTSON
    • Visual Arts- 8th- Campton WHITE
    • Electrical & Electronic Tech- 2nd- Garth MOSS
    -5th- Mario WALLACE
    - 7th- Chavon KERR
    - 8th- Joshua CHRISTIE
    -10th- Lamar-Shea CHANG

CAPE
    • Electrical (Unit 1) - 8th – Brendon FORBES & Chad MULLINGS
    • I.T. (Unit 1) - 10th- Fiona EBANKS
    • Art & Design( Unit 2) - 1st- Dominic GOCOUL
    -2nd – Joshua SOLAS
    Congrats to the youngsters!
    Just curious any represent the school at a sport or school's challenge, etc?
    Last edited by Karl; September 11, 2013, 05:21 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

one of our track athletes, Sprinter Scott Allen, got 9 1s. Incidentally he is a transfer student!!!!!!
      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

One student's perspective

This is an interesting reply by one of StGC's track athletes when asked
        about how he managed to get 9 1s in CXC. Some things dont change. Hard work
        still brings success. This kid while being a good student is not what I
        would call a whiz but just works hard at everything he does.

Hello Mr. Charley...

You had asked me to say how I managed to gain grade 1s in the 9 subjects I sat in the recent CSEC examinations, with distinctions in 7, including Mathematics and English. The short answer to this is that I worked very hard towards this. But short answers do not always provide adequate answers so I will elaborate.

While being a student at the Queens Preparatory School I developed a strong liking for the sport of Track and Field. When I gained a place at St. George’s College, both through GSAT placement and as an athlete, I was determined that I would vigorously pursue and excel in both. I would soon realize though, that this was much easier said than done.

As time passed in high school, track and field training got progressively intense and demanding. Simultaneously, the school work-load became more burdensome both in volume and degree of difficulty. My big challenge was to balance academics, sports and other necessary recreation activities like playing online games. I particularly liked playing my online games and did not do well in striking the needed balance.

The need to do well academically was constantly being urged by my parents. I accepted their advice on its importance and with this as a driving force, I redoubled my effort at time management. This began to bear some fruit as I achieved significantly improved grades by the time I ended 4th form. My arrival in the 5th form brought a heightened sense of urgency with knowledge of the approaching CXC examinations. But I still struggled with time management involving the balancing of training, studying and playing online games. I recognized the need to find a fix for this challenge. The fix was to abandon time for online games. I began to study in earnest for my 9 subjects and my grades improved drastically by the time internal examinations came around.

Always keeping in mind my passion to pursue sports and academics, I was determined that the track and field training would not be abandoned even with a focus on academics. I managed to maintain my training schedules, four-five days each week, as well as external track meets on some week-ends throughout the entire 5th form year. I owe a debt of gratitude to the strong support and guidance of my teachers and coach at St. Georges College, and my parents and sister who made me feel confident about achieving success.

I am feeling a huge sense of satisfaction from the academic results. I have been most thankful for the outpouring of praise and admiration that I have been receiving from all. These results have given me confidence to go to 6th form with much expectation of greater achievement. I acknowledge the help of this great institution, St. George’s College, its teachers and coaches;

help of this great institution, St. George's College, its teachers and

coaches;

AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
        Last edited by Karl; September 12, 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Fiona Banks!?

Oh mi figget!

Congrats to them all. I wonder how they compare to the rest of the Caribbean?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"I acknowledge the help of this great institution, St. George’s College, its teachers and coaches;"

He's understandably a little delirious after getting nine 1s.

Just curious, what are his track & field achievements like?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Fallah di leadah! LoL

One step at a time, today Jamaica, tonmorrow di wirl...

To di Wirrrrrllll.

Comment

He repped...that may be all I need to know...

Comment

Good!
                  ...unnuh wi affi deal wid Muggy pan be transfer ting!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wonder if you or Willi could post entire stats on StGC students who sat exams?

Total numbers that sat exam?

%age pass rate for total school - in each subject and also in each pass range

%age represent school in at least 1 sport?

%age pass rate of those who played at least 1 sport - inclusive of breaking it down on each subject?

...and being lazy - %age pass rate non-athletes (those who did not represent the school in a sport) in each subject

etc?

Comment

We dont have access to that data...at least I dont.

Comment

Got yuh...just am curious (not on just this StGC set of results)...but all the high schools results and what the results tell on each school and total number of schools about relationship of sports and academics impact on student(s).

Put another way would those stats support "Muggy's" position or would there be other result or results? ...could it be athletes and non-athletes perform at same levels? ...or could it be the student-athlete performs at higher levels? ...or could the results in such limited - this year's results - be inconclusive and suggests longer 'test' period? ...or whatever?

Comment

Does not prove or disprove Muggy's assertions -

Elite young sporting stars among UWI scholarship recipients

Published: Sunday | September 15, 2013

Odail Todd

Federick Dacres

Some of the island's brightest young stars in sports will soon be wearing the vibrant red colour of the University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona, as the institution has released the names of the more than 30 students, who have been awarded sports scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic year.

Jamaica's first World Junior and Youth discus champion Federick Dacres joins the UWI Pelicans along with national junior sprinter Odail Todd formerly of Green Island High School in Hanover.

The former Calabar standout Dacres, who won two gold medals at the World Junior Championships in 2012 and 2011, explained his reason for selecting UWI, Mona despite having received a number of invitations from other institutions.

"I got a lot of offers from a number of North American colleges, but I chose UWI, Mona because I don't really plan on leaving Jamaica. I was supposed to leave but decided to stay. I have grown and developed my skills here and I think it is the best option for me," Dacres said.

He went on to add that he was eager to take advantage of the educational aspect of the scholarship.

"I am really looking forward to both getting a degree and making my name in track and field so that I can make a living from doing what I love," Dacres added.

Director of sports at UWI, Mona, Dalton Myers, highlighted the fact that the university has made constant improvement over the years, remaining one of the top options for study.

"UWI, Mona has focused and will always focus on developing our facilities and programmes. In this way, we make available local opportunities and offerings comparable to those available at institutions outside of Jamaica, as more and more students realise the benefits of studying at home," Myers expressed.

Other track and field athletes who will be traversing the corridors of the UWI, Mona campus are Deandra Whitehorne, Matthew Campbell, Opal James, Rhajel Brown, Jodean Williams, Mellisa Williams, top female junior sprinter Shenell Francis as well as high jumpers John Phillips, Jelani Bogle and long-distance runner Martin Kennedy.

Ten sports scholarships were also awarded to footballers, with former Wolmer's Boys' goalkeeper Amal Knight leading a contingent, which also includes Taniel McKenzie, Davian Montaque, Shamal Thomas, Mitch Wright, Jerondy Henry, Daryl Denny and females Samantha Watson, Alicia Richards and Trudi Ann Young.

The UWI netball programme will also be strengthened with the acquisition of Terry Ann Jones and national Under-21 Sunshine Girl Antionette Stone. Basketballers Kedar Clarke and Damion Johnson will also take up sports scholarships, along with volleyballers Solene Walker and Wolmer's Girls standout Vanessa Jones.

Rounding out the 31 student scholars are cricketers Oshane Walters, former Jamaican Under-19 representative James McDonald and Amanjah Morris.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../sports11.html

Comment

Working...
                          X