This is a debate worth having - the integrity of Champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a debate worth having - the integrity of Champs

Kingston College's Anguillan, Zharnel Hughes has a professional contract with Racers Track Club why was he allowed to participate in Champs with students that are not being paid? I think Jamaica has to put rules and regulations to protect the integrity of Champs. Murphy and Blake both went pro early should they have continued to represent their former schools?

At least, with the Munronian, Delano Williams, he joined Racers after school.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

It's a good debate fo sure
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Oh yeah.They have rules against that in the US and we are trying to be 1st world, in fact champs is 1st world.

Based on Hughes being a pro, he is bounded by Wada codes to be tested , and as a Pro competing in a school boy league , one can argue that all youths who compete in champs against professionals should be tested.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Does he have a professional contract with Racers or is he on a scholarship at the HPC and training with Racers athletes?

I know the lines are blurred, if not non-existent, but technically which one is it?

Very good point though, this is something that needs to be dealt with before it gets out of hand.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

From one of his interviews, it appears he even lives at the HPTC dorms.

Something doesn't sound right about that. It appears he is a pro athlete who happens to be taking classes at Kingston College. Just because he is taking classes there, does that mean he should be allowed to represent the school as well?

Hmmm!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I tend to agree. It comes back to this debate about what really defines someone as a student-athlete, ie an amateur, vs a professional athlete who attends school.

Don't know if you heard about this important case recently where Northwestern student athletes argued that they are employees of the University and should be able to form unions. They won the case. It is , I believe , the first step in the direction of finally compensating college athletes properly, something that is LONG overdue in NCAA sports. When college coaches can be payed millions of dollars and the athletes, most of whom will never go pro, are not even offered decent insurance, that is just wrong.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...EBJ/story.html
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sounds like he is a semi professional who is training at a professional club. Let's see if he runs at Penn Relays.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Someone said/wrote somewhere that this is Jamaica's Olympics... The Olympics now allows pros to compete, ergo...

If indeed he has a professional contract with Racers, he shouldn't be allowed to compete IMO. Did I hear right that he even dissed KC in an interview?? Dat nuh right!
                Peter R

Comment

ISSA needs to update their rules to reflect the current day reality.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Olympics but only if you have good grades or teachers in your pocket.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Really?!? Champs should never become professional. That is how I feel about it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                        Did I hear right that he even dissed KC in an interview?? Dat nuh right!
                        The one interview I saw with him he was bigging up KC, saying he loved it, and kept repeating that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not saying it should go professional but it should define professional and who is considered a pro. 20 years ago I don't think we had these athletes who are in certain "camps" and could even be getting paid while running at Champs.

This rule like so many others have to reflect the reality of the day.

Comment

The reality of the day is we have T&F clubs of the highest quality. They can compete for them! Or for their university!

I can foresee in a few years Jamaica having 20 T&F clubs. Racers and MVP, and the other few, can't handle all this talent! That's another discussion.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think by "dissing KC" they meant that he was bigging up Anguilla in the post-race interview and nothing said about KC.

Comment

Working...
                              X