Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISSA SuperCup???

Anyone heard of this?

Cannot please everybody. It is a start working with the better schools. Then we should have a database on all the players from 11 yrs. All this is not that expensive which is vital. Jamaica has no money so we have to be creative.

I get you.

Yes, you suggestion is better than the cramming of more games. Xmas break should only be the Clausura.

The only weakness in your plan is that only the players of the "good" teams will benefit from the extended season.

Cannot remember how the Nutrament Shield worked. Anyway, ISSA/LIME have started this Super Cup where the top 8 teams from Manning and Dacosta respectively will play off for the super cup. Also, instead of only the top teams from the 8 divisions in Dacosta Cup going forward, now the top 2 will progress. My problem is that they are only cramming more games into the 3 months. They need to reduce the games and play over a longer period. I would suggest the best 16 schools from both competitions play a round robin with the best 4 going to sudden death at the national stadium/Jarrett Park. That would last until before exams in May of the following year. However, a similar situation should avail for all levels (U13 and U15).

Paul,

You should submit this as part 2 of the article to the Gleaner.

What is this ISSA SuperCup...never hear of it. Is this like the old Nutrament Shield?

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, everybody seem to have mistaken my point.

I do not believe it will be practical to try and improve the clubs to cater to youth from 6-19 years. We just do not have the resources.

The schools already have a fairly good set-up and should continue to be the focus for developing youth football. My point is that there should be more playing time for the kids (at least 8 months of the year) and we need a system for monitoring and creaming off the best of each age group to foster their talent and growth over longer periods each year rather than the current 3 months from September to December. I note that ISSA has just approved having a super cup and including another set of matches in Dacosta and Manning Cup competitions. Good! Now we need to extend this to a competition between the best 12 teams across the island for another 6 months.

Athletics has gone way ahead with the introduction of GC Foster College some 30 years ago. The conditions to enter GC Foster mean you start with persons with good academic background. This institution has turned out excellent athletic coaches that are now distributed across the islands in schools and currently sport the best two sprint coaches in the world. We need a similar set-up for football coaches. The current system of taking old "ballers" with little or no education and giving them one week training is madness.

More playing time; better coaches (monitoring). These are my two key areas for change.

mi nuh know bout nuh Super Cup but...

..si di rightful skool ball structa yah..

How to revolutionize Schoolboy Football for Century 21
    A. ISSA to create two regions for school ball.... Western Region & Eastern Region..... containing comparable numbers of schools... ~50-60 per region

B. Eastern Region to consist of schools from Kingston, St Andrew, St Catherine, Portland & St Thomas....
    Western Region - Clarendon, Manchester, St Ann, St Elizabeth, Westmoreland, Hanover, St James & Trelawny

(ISSA can work out any parish adjustments suh mi nuh bizniz wid nuh quibbling ova placement minutiae)

C. Eastern Region competes for Manning Cup.... Western Region - DaCosta Cup

D. Each region further subdivided into 2 groups Manning Cup Premier League & Challenge League.... same for D'Cup

E. Premier League teams (~16 each region) will be seeded according to the schools with the best results over the preceding 5 years in their competitions. Challenge League teams will consist of those outside that top 16.

F. Premier & Challenge Leagues will be entirely separate competitions. Each year the top 4 teams in the Challenge League will be promoted to Premier...and the bottom 4 Premier teams demoted

G. After 16 home or away games ... the top 4 Premier league teams go into semi-final & final round... with winner taking the Manning & D'Cup trophies respectively.
    Challenge League to have 2 zones with an eventual playoff format leading to a championship game

H. Manning & D'Cup winners meet for Olivier Shield trophy as usual

I. If there's no time for additional games... the Walker/Ben Francis knockout competitions can be scrapped... if there is time ...the top 4 teams/League (8 teams total representing Challenge & Premier Leagues) in each Region compete for knockout titles

So we'll have

1. The best teams competing head to head more often for improved player development

2. Logistics/Cost Control via a more rational regional structure

3. Incentive based system for promotion/demotion

4. Preservation of an irreplaceable 100 year legacy of high school ball
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

But you dont get long enough playing season (for lon term development) which is the contention of the writer.

Comment

i don't think school ball should be longer... it should remain recreational BUT with a better playing standard imho

Real development should be in a national academy with the best players .... removed from skool ball

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Heh, heh..

A man cyaan serve two Masters...

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
            Heh, heh..

A man cyaan serve two Masters...

How yuh manage fi serve Fish an' Laybarite????

Yuh mussi exceptional

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Real development should be in a national academy with the best players .... removed from skool ball
              So let us mirror academy outputs as it happens in the real world.
              2 or less world class footballers (able to gain lucrative professional contracts) per year...*so in 5 years we end up with 10... or thereabouts.

Does that type result become our alpha and omega?
              ...or do we wish something more on the scale of 10 or more world class (able to gain lucrative professional contracts) graduates each year? ...or an improved output of 100 or so graduates over 10 years? ...enough with which to have an anchor for a top quality NPL and top age-group through top senior teams? ...robust football industry?

Guess the question is; What are the aims?

*btw - That would compute to something of the order of (give or take a few..) - 2 18years + 2 19years + 2 20years + 2 21years + 2 22years + 2 23years...etc... to age 30 = 26 world class players = that in players 30years or younger we have 26 world class players. A good result but for when looking at a national senior TEAM or other national teams if we expect a doubling up on 'specialty' an unbalanced out-put. ...and over time if that type output remains then the unbalanced output would be perpetuated...

What are the aims?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

=Karl;487870]So let us mirror academy outputs as it happens in the real world.
                2 or less world class footballers (able to gain lucrative professional contracts) per year...*so in 5 years we end up with 10... or thereabouts.
                Does that type result become our alpha and omega?
                Players out of high school don't have to be "world class" to get lucrative pro contracts.... so your math is way off

...or do we wish something more on the scale of 10 or more world class (able to gain lucrative professional contracts) graduates each year? ...or an improved output of 100 or so graduates over 10 years? ...enough with which to have an anchor for a top quality NPL and top age-group through top senior teams? ...robust football industry?

Guess the question is; What are the aims?
                Please identify ANY outfit which produces 10 or more world class players EACH year... I'm not aware of any

*btw - That would compute to something of the order of (give or take a few..) - 2 18years + 2 19years + 2 20years + 2 21years + 2 22years + 2 23years...etc... to age 30 = 26 world class players = that in players 30years or younger we have 26 world class players. A good result but for when looking at a national senior TEAM or other national teams if we expect a doubling up on 'specialty' an unbalanced out-put. ...and over time if that type output remains then the unbalanced output would be perpetuated...
                What are the aims?
                Due to the foregoing points your math is imo... unbalanced. I cant address your numbers

Jamaica's medium term aims for a national academy would be to:

a. FIRST..produce players & and playing philosophy which improves club and national team play.... sufficient to be among the top 3-4 in CONCACAF and attract money to the game. This would help build a native football industry

b. SECOND..enable pro opportunities abroad for players with the ability & desire

It's not complicated

Comment

So how you discredit the college MLS route that is giving between 2-4 a year pro contract?

You have to start somewhere, right?
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Once again I don't discredit US colleges for student athletes. I support yutes trying to better their life chances by going to college

What you claimed was that improved access to US colleges via better recordkeeping and tryouts would improve Jamaican football. This is absurd

Development at home is what will improve Jamaican football... not US colleges or mass snow balla importation

Leggo di foreign mind fi a minit

Comment

"where has all the develop ballers gone" 3 years out high school. Next time you a tell me how many a your favorite school team now in the NPL.

Most of the Canadian academy do this. They have players who go pro and then others go college. Some of the ones who went the college route are currently in their national side. Nothing is wrong if you have education plus been a soccer professional. Nothing foreign mind about that, it is about getting your better environment that will help your development. For many of school boy footballers it is either that, street corner, or nothing much while the big ideas go to waste.

How UB40 get inna this again argument again? You are clutching at straw.
                      Last edited by Assasin; July 17, 2014, 11:09 PM.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

"where has all the develop ballers gone" 3 years out high school. Next time you a tell me how many a your favorite school team now in the NPL.
                        This is why we need a national youth academy as I described. There is no current working development system
                        Most of the Canadian academy do this. They have players who go pro and then others go college. Some of the ones who went the college route are currently in their national side. Nothing is wrong if you have education plus been a soccer professional. Nothing foreign mind about that, it is about getting your better environment that will help your development. For many of school boy footballers it is either that, street corner, or nothing much while the big ideas go to waste.
                        More absurdity..
                        Jamaica should not aspire to a Canadian model. Canada is a failure in football

How UB40 get inna this again argument again? You are clutching at straw.
                        I'm describing Jamaica's failed attempts at football development.... UB40s are a part of that failure... as well as the "college route"

Comment

When you develop 40 players annually where are they going to play???
                          One or 2 get contract and the rest play in NPL?

Canada is a failure but not because they don't have decent players, playing in decent leagues.

Comment

=Assasin;488141]When you develop 40 players annually where are they going to play???
                            One or 2 get contract and the rest play in NPL?
                            who said "develop 40 players annually?" Not me.
                            It takes years to develop skills so if 40-60 young ballas are in a program the annual output is not 40-60 developed players

Plus better NPL players are critical to improving league play, attracting sponsors and foreign transfers..so why shouldn't players go there?

Canada is a failure but not because they don't have decent players, playing in decent leagues.
                            Canada is a failure because whatever they're currently doing fails

Ergo... Canada is not a good model for Jamaica.
                            Last edited by Don1; July 18, 2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

it will take 10-20 years to develop the NPL. If you develop players you have to have market for them or they will go to waste as is currently happening.

One of our major problem is what we do with 16-20 year old and will continue to be. NPL can't take 60 young players on a yearly basis even with a fully developed league.

Comment

Working...
                              X