RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have an entire nation of exploited athletes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have an entire nation of exploited athletes...

... OR really poor education outcomes overall..OR both?????????

This is for the data inclined ...
    Here are extracts from the latest available CSEC results from the MOE - Pgs 147-148

Overall % results in key subjects for students attaining grades 1,2 or 3 general proficiency level (Boys in parentheses)

Math: 37.5% (35.2)
    Biology: 59.8% (59.1)
    English: 52.0% (43.1)
    Accounts: 60.3% (54.9)
    Chemistry 63.3% (62.0)

The average rate of failure for boys in these subjects seems to be ~49% (failure being defined here as attaining grades worse than 1-3)

So the questions are:

1. How do the results of student-athletes stack up to these national averages?

2. If they're comparable what would the suss crowd have to say??

3. If they're significantly better...or worse...what are the reasons?

4. Re our student-athletes.... what minimum academic results do Jamaican or US colleges accept for sports or academic scholarships and what % of the total cohort sitting CSEC would theoretically qualify?
    What % of student athletes would qualify?

This is an issue that can be easily illuminated by some first year college stats students in a few weeks... Instead we're inundated with carell talk and colorful personal anecdotes. Why am I the only person in this months-long debate who both realizes this AND proposes the obvious solution???

As a nation we have to learn the importance of data and its correct interpretation...Then again suss is so much more entertaining
    Last edited by Don1; November 24, 2014, 07:03 PM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
    ... OR really poor education outcomes overall..OR both?????????

This is for the data inclined ...
    Here are extracts from the latest available CSEC results from the MOE - Pgs 147-148

Overall % results in key subjects for students attaining grades 1,2 or 3 general proficiency level (Boys in parentheses)

Math: 37.5% (35.2)
    Biology: 59.8% (59.1)
    English: 52.0% (43.1)
    Accounts: 60.3% (54.9)
    Chemistry 63.3% (62.0)

So the questions are:

1. How do the results of student-athletes stack up to these national averages?

2. If they're comparable what would the suss crowd have to say??

3. If they're significantly better...or worse...what are the reasons?

4. Re our student-athletes what minimum academic results do Jamaican or US colleges accept for sports or academic scholarships and what % of the cohort sitting CSEC would theoretically qualify?

This is an issue that can be easily illuminated by some first year college stats students in a few weeks... Instead we're inundated with carell talk and colorful personal anecdotes. Why am I the only person in this months-long debate who both realizes this AND proposes the obvious solution???

As a nation we have to learn the importance of data and its correct interpretation...Then again suss is so much more entertaining
    Do you have those answers? Then isn't this more suss and yapping?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't think the data required would be that easy to get because while the macro-level stats are public information, the individual results are confidential. This exercise would require someone first defining who qualifies as a "student-athlete" and then finding out the grades of those specific individuals. Could be done but I suspect it would take a while.

The answers to the questions you have posed would certainly throw a lot of light on the debate though.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Do you have those answers? Then isn't this more suss and yapping?
        Wrong

What I've outlined is a simple statistical model to illustrate the REAL problem (if any) ...and reduce the ignorant yappin via HARD DATA

Don1 ah raise di level... as usual

woooiiee mi math teacha Mrs Sobers wudda proud...even doh mi neva pass one test all now

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

It may be difficult to collect but ISSA has powerful tools to require cooperation.. This issue was anticipated... here's my proposal from the school sports forum:

Ok ISSA here's a useful & easy 1st Step to problem discovery
          ...re whether or not there's a BIG problem of sports vs academics vs transfers in high schools. Mi tiyad ah di unsubstantiated yappin now... wi need a data solution

Select 18 schools in divided equally by urban/rural ...(total 36 for the math challenged)

You already have lists of their football, track, cricket etc teams. Work with the schools on this project (data is anonymized of course to protect the kids) Noncompliance by schools results in delisting from ISSA competitions

By competition placings choose the 6 best, 6 middling & 6 poorest performing schools to gather the following data:

1. CXC test scoring by subject for each student (tracked by school & sport)

2. # of years playing for the school by sport

3. Date of entry to school and # of years in the school (to track transferees)

Collate those test score results and perform data analysis against:

4. Average test scores of the entire exam-taking cohort within each of the 36 schools

5. Average test scores of the 6 best, 6 middling & 6 poorest performing schools islandwide

6. National Average test scores

Voila!!!.... The results will illuminate a subject that is now unfortunately dominated by uninformed yappin by the ignorant and sour grapes by the sports-disabled

Comment

LOL, interesting. I suspect there would be pushback against such strong-arm tactics by ISSA but some diplomatic version of that might work.

All that is assuming that ISSA would really want to know the results of such an exercise.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              All that is assuming that ISSA would really want to know the results of such an exercise.
              Aaaah...therein lies the rub. I can only propose, it's up to ISSA to dispose

Comment

Instead we're inundated with carell talk and colorful personal anecdotes.
                cayliss talk

Comment

Okay,so you have addressed an issue important to you,how about addressing a debatable one,not every athletes,the ones that get transferred.
                  A bona fide JC athlete is merely a JC student foing extracurricular activities,he received the same instructions as the rest of his schoolmates.
                  A transfer student is less impacted accademically by the school.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                    Okay,so you have addressed an issue important to you,how about addressing a debatable one,not every athletes,the ones that get transferred.
                    A bona fide JC athlete is merely a JC student foing extracurricular activities,he received the same instructions as the rest of his schoolmates.
                    A transfer student is less impacted accademically by the school.
                    Rocky your elliptical style is preventing me from seeing the point I'm sure is there. Pls reformulate your query

BTW... what I've addressed is not merely an issue important to me. This is bad framing by you which can lead to incorrect argument. Judging by all the uninformed yappin the issue is apparently important to many...including you.

What I've done is outline a simple model where data can illuminate an issue now dominated by the suss Jamaicans prefer. You, along with others with colorful anecdotes, have emerged as a Dr Suss on this issue

Funny that in the last few years when St George's was accused of excessive buying and transfers of footballers...I don't recall even the most modest criticism from you on the practice. Yet now you're one of the leading yappers questioning JC.

Could it be an unfortunate reaction to unuu relatively mediocre 2014 performance??
                    Last edited by Don1; November 25, 2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

George's was alluded to all along,traditional bullies and the new make up of six form.
                      Well does the stats address The issue of transfer athletes(no specifics provided on athletes period).
                      Let me ask you a question,apart from the KC manning cup champion team in the 70's,has there been any other all manning cup team that has a starting line up of players from one school?
                      Having won Pepsi and the Island under 14 is great,being afforded the privilege of an all manning coach (the ability to tweak from a wider pool)is improving is making great greater.The transfer of students in essence is what facilitates ......

Comment

George's was alluded to all along,traditional bullies and the new make up of six form.
                        Well does the stats address The issue of transfer athletes(no specifics provided on athletes period).
                        Let me ask you a question,apart from the KC manning cup champion team in the 70's,has there been any other all manning cup team that has a starting line up of players from one school?
                        Having won Pepsi and the Island under 14 is great,being afforded the privilege of an all manning coach (the ability to tweak from a wider pool)is improving is making great greater.The transfer of students in essence is what facilitates ......
                        Rocky unfortunately I'm still at a loss. I'm clearly not at your high level.

Please distill the most important query down to 2 lines.. thanx

Comment

Do you agree that the stats you cited offer nothing concrete regarding the issue of transfer students?

Comment

Do you agree that the stats you cited offer nothing concrete regarding the issue of transfer students?
                            Phew!! ..Rocky that was as challenging as, well... Pulling silverware from a dusty, empty Munro trophy cabinet

Anyway I comprehensively DISAGREE.. Please review Exhibit 1:

By competition placings choose the 6 best, 6 middling & 6 poorest performing schools to gather the following data:

1. CXC test scoring by subject for each student (tracked by school & sport)

2. # of years playing for the school by sport

3. Date of entry to school and # of years in the school (to track transferees)

Collate those test score results and perform data analysis against:

4. Average test scores of the entire exam-taking cohort within each of the 36 schools

5. Average test scores of the 6 best, 6 middling & 6 poorest performing schools islandwide

6. National Average test scores

D1 nuh new to dis Rocky...Wi argument Solid Lika Rock
                            Last edited by Don1; November 25, 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

It is going to take me some time to go through the 169 pages of the report,maybe you could help me by telling the page number that deals with info you provided above.

Comment

Working...
                              X