Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio - The big 3 case against ISSA

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/roadtoc...st-times-early
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Well we really need to assess ISSA's power....

Stoni seh ISSA can "transform HS football culture" within 10 years Although I don't really know what that means

But let's see if they can transform this ridiculous ticket issue first..it's a big test of ISSA's market power

Wooooiiieee mi humerus!!!!!!!!!
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      Stoni seh ISSA can "transform HS football culture" within 10 years Although I don't really know what that means

But let's see if they can transform this ridiculous ticket issue first..it's a big test of ISSA's market power

Wooooiiieee mi humerus!!!!!!!!!
      I saw the exchange between you two. ISSA cannot ''transform' organizations that pay the bills i.e. the ministry, sponsors or alumni associations.
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
        I saw the exchange between you two. ISSA cannot ''transform' organizations that pay the bills i.e. the ministry, sponsors or alumni associations.
        Suh whe yuh seh...Stoni idea dem bizarre ...dont

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

This was painful listening to! Who is this fool called Jay?!?! People can fool and hignorant suh!?!?!

And who is the host that allows this caller to continue with his ridiculous line of questions and assumptions? For a good 15 minutes!!!!!

I can't...!!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

LOL, it was excruciating fe real. Typical know-it-all Jamaican talk show caller.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Jay, despite his ramble, did raise a few good points. Should there be a limit to the hours our athletes train? How many hours of school should they lose per week in order to give us 10.2s 100ms, instead of 12s?

I know times have changed but when I was in school, training was always after school and sometimes on weekends. We would never be training during class hours. Maybe that explains why Munro was never a Champs contender back then. It never stopped my from winning a...I will allow y'all to finish the rest of it!

Woooiiieee! Di medal 'eavy round mi neck!

But seriously, I do believe some limits must be set for our athletes in every sport. We already have them traveling the length and breadth of the island competing in meets during the week and on weekends. When do they get time to read a book? Do we really believe that alumni assistance during summer vacations can suffice for the time missed during the school year? Is our world dominance in athletics a result of our students training more than others in the rest of the world? Should we just go all out and allow them to train 4 hours a day and go to classes for no more than 2?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't know of any school where athletes train during regular school hours. That's completely off the wall. One could get that impression after listening to this clumsy discussion.

Training is an issue because it does take tremendous time, effort & focus AFTER school hours. Apart from actual training, participation in development meets etc... there is additional time taken from the life of student-athletes to recover from training due to the physical & mental exhaustion imposed on them. This can negatively impact academic performance

Only those athletes who are extremely well organized and also in comfortable, supportive home environments tend to do well in both competitive sports and academics. Many others tend to wither on the vine.

So to have better academic outcomes from student-athletes Jamaican society should provide more support to them given the huge burden they carry... It seems to me that was the point the alum reps were trying (unsuccessfully) to establish.

Alternatively we can just de-prioritize sports. We can make sports mostly recreational PE activity and reduce the competitive aspect that creates an assembly line of world class talent in track for example.

Perhaps JA should do that and put max focus on core education. But juss figget about the nuff boasting, chest-thumping & glad bag-bursting at Olympics.

We need to choose...becuz it's impossible to have your cake available after eating it

Comment

The alum reps argument about additional support for student athletes was not unreasonable, but in my view that support is the responsibility of the school community that is enjoying the success of the athletes. Not ISSA nor any other government program. For example, why did a US$600K all-weather track take priority over this issue?

I think there must be compromises that can be made to produce a more healthy balance than we currently have between school sports and academics.We don't have to totally give up the spectacle that Champs has become to accomplish that.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yuh know my ting. For all the brag and boast about "assembly line of world class talent in track", we could be having a bigger assembly line of educated youngsters, working in high-tech industries, instead of waiting on tables on the north coast.

We fool ourselves terribly when we talk about assembly line of athletes. How many are we really talking about when we look at it? The real numbers are far from any assembly line!

Having said that, I think it is possible to have the two situations - a tiny assembly line of world-beaters in track & field and other sports, and a larger assembly line of educated youngsters ready to transform the Jamaican economy. But, I think we would prefer the former.

Which is the next school earmarked to benefit from the HSSIIP funds?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And let's not fool ourselves - Champs has been a spectacle for over 40 years, long before we started winning every sprint in the Olys and the Worlds!

But, if we have no other reason to don our ***** ridahs, let us not mess with what has been giving us a reason to celebrate every two years or so!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        The alum reps argument about additional support for student athletes was not unreasonable, but in my view that support is the responsibility of the school community that is enjoying the success of the athletes. Not ISSA nor any other government program. For example, why did a US$600K all-weather track take priority over this issue?

I think there must be compromises that can be made to produce a more healthy balance than we currently have between school sports and academics.We don't have to totally give up the spectacle that Champs has become to accomplish that.
                        Champs will always be a spectacle as long as there is fierce rivalry between the usual HS suspects some of whom have been involved from jump street 100+ years ago. It was a spectacle long before we dominated world sprinting. So to me the "spectacle" thing is not an issue

The issue really is the current near-professional level of performance by an increasing number of student athletes. That performance level is driven by near-professional level training & development.... while at full time school.

That achievement imposes a tremendous time/focus drain on student-athletes... which in turn has an impact on core academic performance.

I don't agree that responsibility to provide more support for student-athletes rests only with schools. It is definitely not secondary schools which primarily benefit when some of these athletes become world beaters and bring glory to JA. Why should some schools alone bear the financial burden of nurturing JAMAICA'S CHOICE to be a world power in some sports?? Do they wrap themselves in school flags at the Olympics for example???

All Jamaica benefits from our athletes and so they constitute a national resource.If that is true all stakeholders should be involved in their support...whether ISSA, GOJ, sponsors....and schools of course.

To me the only question is what support is appropriate for each stakeholder
                        Last edited by Don1; February 15, 2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Yuh know my ting. For all the brag and boast about "assembly line of world class talent in track", we could be having a bigger assembly line of educated youngsters, working in high-tech industries, instead of waiting on tables on the north coast.
                          I'm a believer
                          We fool ourselves terribly when we talk about assembly line of athletes. How many are we really talking about when we look at it? The real numbers are far from any assembly line!
                          Evvyting relative
                          Having said that, I think it is possible to have the two situations - a tiny assembly line of world-beaters in track & field and other sports, and a larger assembly line of educated youngsters ready to transform the Jamaican economy. But, I think we would prefer the former.
                          Yes I would prefer the former as well. But it's not a zero sum game here. Since the athletes are few a boost to their support package won't break the bank. I guess those schools that spend the most want some attention from ISSA's coffers

Which is the next school earmarked to benefit from the HSSIIP funds?
                          Mi nuh know...but mi hope seh it located at 189 Old Hope Rd... woooooiiiieee
                          Last edited by Don1; February 15, 2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                            I don't know of any school where athletes train during regular school hours. That's completely off the wall. One could get that impression after listening to this clumsy discussion.

Training is an issue because it does take tremendous time, effort & focus AFTER school hours. Apart from actual training, participation in development meets etc... there is additional time taken from the life of student-athletes to recover from training due to the physical & mental exhaustion imposed on them. This can negatively impact academic performance

Only those athletes who are extremely well organized and also in comfortable, supportive home environments tend to do well in both competitive sports and academics. Many others tend to wither on the vine.

So to have better academic outcomes from student-athletes Jamaican society should provide more support to them given the huge burden they carry... It seems to me that was the point the alum reps were trying (unsuccessfully) to establish.

Alternatively we can just de-prioritize sports. We can make sports mostly recreational PE activity and reduce the competitive aspect that creates an assembly line of world class talent in track for example.

Perhaps JA should do that and put max focus on core education. But juss figget about the nuff boasting, chest-thumping & glad bag-bursting at Olympics.

We need to choose...becuz it's impossible to have your cake available after eating it
                            I just updated a thread where Daniel England was quoted as saying that tracks came first!!
                            Last edited by Time; February 15, 2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks, and I have moved that thread to this forum, where it should have been.

I'm afraid even though England's experience should serve as an example to our up and coming stars, the lessons will not be heeded. Half of them never heard of him, or read the article. And they will say, cho, we never big inna track dem time deh.

I'll never stop saying it - for every Veronica Campbell out there, there are a hundred who fell by the wayside who we will never hear about. But they exist, and some have become a nuisance to society because a wha reach dem.

There are some "future" stars right now who better mek it happen because if it doesn't...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X