ISSA Champs Vs World Champs and Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISSA Champs Vs World Champs and Olympics

“We appreciate all the thoughts and all the comments that compare our event to a World Championship and the Olympics, but in terms of the number of events that one athlete can compete in, it is something we are constantly seeking to review,” said the principal of Wolmer’s Girls.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...athletes_53639

What issue to be solved is most important? Protecting student from training required for multiple events, protecting student from overwork during the championships, cost to the rural schools to be present every night, revenue every night or number of persons who will get to watch a finals?

My solution is 3 day championships, Friday, Saturday and Sunday with more restrictions on the number of events that a student can complete in.
    Last edited by Time; March 6, 2016, 01:04 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

The thing is completely out of control!

The other day, Central Champs was held in the middle of the week. I remember winning my gold medal for Class 3 Western Champs on a Saturday! If it's even to start during the week, you make sure that at least one of the days occurs on a Saturday. Hell, maybe we should start using Sundays for high school sports too.

Looking for when a school will just change dem name and done - Calabar High School for Sports. Might as cheap.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There have been increased calls in the past couple of years for even more changes with the welfare of the athletes in mind and to bring the championships in line with the international calendar.

A number of top coaches interviewed by the Jamaica Observer recently agreed with changes with the proviso that the changes must be done with the athletes in mind.

“Anything that is in the best interest of the athletes, anything that will give you time to recover properly and to participate in the event to the best of your ability, I am all for that.” he said.

“Once there is a situation where some finals are scheduled earlier in the championships, it gives you a better opportunity of how you utilise the athletes from one event to the next and whatever is in the best interest of the athletes... I am all for that,” Harrison said.

“Whatever schedule will allow the athletes to maximise their physical and mental recovery, I am totally in favour of it,” he chimed in.

“Who will benefit? Anything that will benefit the athletes I will always go for that, but if it’s a matter of making changes to satisfy sponsors then we must be careful.

“I am happy for sponsors coming on board to make the meets better, but whatever we are doing we must first take into consideration the athletes’ welfare,” he ended.
      We've totally lost our way. These are students first!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        We've totally lost our way. These are students first!
        Want to emulate the Olympics? How about one replay plus two other events. That is probably the same limit that Bolt, Shelly and others self-imposed at the world Champs and Olympics.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

KC look ready this year,CBar and KC war,sweeeeeet
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Do we realise how crazy this looks, for Matheson to be running 10.25 at this level?

Sick!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Iron sharpen iron. We excel in all areas when we leave the shores of Jamaica all because of the hardships we face.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You do know the record is 10.12...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That is for class 1. Mathers is also U-18 as welll as first year Class 1. On top of that, he visibly eased with 20m to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X