Scrap metal exports banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap metal exports banned

PERSONS NOW involved in the lucrative multimillion-dollar scrap metal trade will shortly be dealt a severe blow as Government has announced an immediate cessation of the export.

Karl Samuda, Minister of Industry and Commerce, told Parliament yesterday that the theft of metals for export has reached "crisis proportions and can no longer be allowed to continue".

Addressing the House of Representatives, Mr. Samuda said the Chief Parliamentary Council has prepared a draft order prohibiting the export.

I will sign it tomorrow

"I expect that I will sign it tomorrow (today) so that it can be gazetted immediately," he said.

"The order will stop all exports of scrap metal until a complete assessment of the trade is undertaken."

When the industry is regulated, Mr. Samuda said, the exporters of scrap metal would require a licence to export such products. He also said the police would be asked to monitor the industry and exporters would have to show proof of purchase of metals in their position.

The Jamaica Exporters Association said it exported US$99.6 million in scrap metals last year, up from US$13.3 million in 2005.

Manhole covers, bridge structures and railway lines are among the many sources of metals targeted by criminals involved in the scrap metal trade.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Lets hope things are put in place quickly so legitimate traders can get on with their business.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Garbage collector convicted for scrapping JUTC bus

A 27-year-old employee of Minott Garbage Company was Tuesday convicted for his role in the lucrative scrap metal industry.

Phillip McLeod of a Trench Town address in Kingston was Tuesday slapped with a six month jail sentence in the Spanish Town Resident Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to stealing a large quantity of metal from a Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) bus.

It is reported that on October 15, Mr. McLeod was spotted by a security guard on the JUTC compound in Braeton, tossing a bag into a garbage unit.

The unit was searched by personnel from the bus company and a large quantity of scrap metal which was taken from a JUTC bus was found in the bag.

The scrap metal is said to be valued at $10,000.

Mr. McLeod was subsequently arrested and charged.

Comment

Good move!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I saw a report on the Jam. news that some persons were removing parts of bridges etc. and selling as scrap metal. Dem people dangerous man.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Just yesterday, I drove over a bridge on a route I always use and was surprised to see the railings removed! This is on Washington Blvd. Can't imagine how brazen one must be to steal anything off that well-travelled bridge.

I hope they carry it back and reinstall it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              I hope they carry it back and reinstall it.
              hehehe .... good joke! Yuh think people get a good conscience overnight? Dem would rather come and tek what leff.

Comment

Working...
              X