X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I apologise - Azan

(so now we know the mysterious person)
    published: Sunday | January 13, 2008

Excerpts of address by Ricardo Azan to meeting of investors on January 10, 2008

In June and July some bad deals went down. We tried to recover the loss by overleveraging the accounts, we subsequently had more loss.

Whatever fresh money came in we tried to salvage it, and I made pride - because I have never owed anybody - overshadow common sense (and) intelligence to say to everybody this is where we (are) at, this is what has happened.

Ladies and gentlemen, I cannot correct what has gone wrong in terms of mismanaging but I can certainly apologise …

I don't need to tell all of you that subsequently, coming into November, the bank that Money Express banks with was a double calamity. Without any notice at all, the bank went into receivership (bankrupt) ...
    What I have now done is put together a group, a highly reputable group of bankers, lawyers, financial people, who is the task force that will advise me on the best way forward. We will be looking at how to settle the principle in the shortest possible time, for everybody. I must say that no interest will be paid for December, January and February.

The task force has asked me for one month, one month from today (Thursday), to analyse the situation and present their findings and solutions. At the end of one month, I will be calling another meeting so that everybody will be advised what is the way forward.

I don't think those of you who know me have ever known me to steal any of your money. I have been in banking for 25 years, I have never taken a dollar from anybody. Yes, I have mismanaged the funds, because pride got in the way.
    In 1992, the Bank of Jamaica took me down for a couple million U.S. dollars. I fought that and beat it.
    Last edited by Karl; January 14, 2008, 10:39 AM.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

I sure hope that out of this Fraud and yes it is fraud

some serious action will be taken by the goverment against all these individuals and companies. How can anyone argue against regulating these companies I don't know.

In the US after every major financial scandal comes regulation, the crash of 29 brought the 1933 and 1934 securities acts, the 87 crash tightned rules on insider trading and the 2001 tech and Enron among others brought in Sarbains Oxley.

I think a total independent body other than BOJ and FSC should regulate all these companies. And what about some type of investment and security goverment insurance. These companies should also be required to have certain net capital minimums for circumstances like this.

There is no politics here, this is all about robbery.

I wonder if the goverment had a part of the pension funds there or any National Insurance money ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
      I wonder if the goverment had a part of the pension funds there or any National Insurance money ?
      i hope not... that would be grossly irresponsible...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
      X