• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock down those lock-ups

Lock down those lock-ups
    published: Tuesday | January 15, 2008

Devon Dick
    Last Wednesday, I visited a police lock-up to talk with Aidonia, a popular deejay who attends the church I pastor and also plays football for the church's team. Aidonia is known for his songs Dat's up and Ukku. In addition, he appears in an amusing ad for Bmobile.

The previous day, The Star had a report stating 'Aidonia in Jail' so off I went to visit him. Sgt. Matthews, who had responsibility for the lock-up, was very accommodating of the visit outside the Sunday only visitation. However, the condition of the lock-up left much to be desired. The lock-up was narrow, about three feet wide. The ventilation was inadequate. The visibility was poor. One wonders about the sanitary conveniences for the inmates.

The condition reminded me of the Sandy Bay jail in Hanover, which I visited in the 1980s. The only difference was that at the Sandy Bay jail I could shake the hands of the inmates.

It seems to me that a lock-up, which is a holding area for persons who have not been convicted and who should be regarded as innocent until proven guilty, should meet certain basic standards. There ought to be adequate ventilation. In addition, the days of giving inmates buckets to urinate in and defecate in are over.

Class of origin
    Inspectors from the health department should realise that it is a health hazard for persons to have those buckets in those cells overnight. The inmates should be allowed daily visits instead of weekly visits. Pastors should be able to shake hands with them.

Some persons are treated that way because of the class from which they originate. In fact, the same treatment is delivered to lower rank police. I remember after several visits to the Sandy Bay jail, the police asked us to examine the conditions under which they lived. It was appalling and I remember the church donating some fans, among other things. Fortunately, the officer in charge does not sleep at the station.

The treatment of the inmates and lower rank police is colonial and demeaning. It regards them as less than equal. Since independence, if every year the Government had upgraded four police stations, then they all could have looked like Half-Way-Tree Police Station.

Respect for human dignity
    If civil society was sufficiently active then more Grants Pen Peace Centres could have been established. These failures to have basic facilities is a lack of respect for human dignity, borne out of contempt for certain classes.

The day following the visit to the lock-up, I met a messenger who related how shabbily the police treated him as he rode his motorcycle during the islandwide electricity outage. He believed that those police were hustling. Even the police who originate from the lower classes treat others from the lower classes with disdain.

This disrespect is reinforced by societal double standards. Take, for example, two Ministers of State used expletives, one caught on tape and the other said it to journalists, and nothing happened. In addition, a Director of Elections used indecent language in the precincts of the court and nothing happened. However, according to Wednesday's Star, the police detained DJ Assailant after he used profane language. It should either be that everybody is charged for the use of expletives or we leave the DJs alone. This contempt for the lower classes must stop.

Poor conditions in lock-ups persist because if someone with connections gets caught and should be placed in the lock-up, he or she is allowed to stay in the guardroom.

Where there are deplorable conditions, it is time for us to lock down these lock-ups and treat all as equals.
    Devon Dick is pastor of Boulevard Baptist Church and author of "Rebellion to Riot: the Church in Nation Building".
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Rare, sensible article from Devon Dick.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X