Ja's tax system gets poor rating ...13th worst worldwide for doing business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ja's tax system gets poor rating ...13th worst worldwide for doing business

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD height=52><H4>Ja's tax system gets poor rating ...13th worst worldwide for doing business</H4>

By Camilo Thame, Business Reporter</TD><TD height=52><DIV align=center>[img]file:///F|/Webmaster%20Files/New%20EFG/26-Mar-04/images/next.jpg[/img]</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jamaica's tax system was ranked the 13th worst for businesses across 175 countries surveyed for the latest report on business-friendly countries, having slipped two places from last year as Argentina and Benin stepped up.

According to Doing Business 2007, a co-publication of the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation, businesses paying the full gamut of taxes in Jamaica during 2006 had to make 72 payments during a fiscal year, use 414 hours to file them and fork out 52.3 per cent of profit - all the same as last year.

TOLL TAX RATE
    The island's tax system is managed by the keeper of the treasury, Finance Minister Dr. Omar Davies.

Interestingly, the measure for total tax rate as a percentage of profit in both Argentina and Benin were higher, 116.9 per cent and 68.5 per cent respectively, and although the South American country had fewer payments to make - 34, Benin had the same amount - 72.

Additionally, although Benin requires less time of 270 hours to pay taxes, Argentina saw the number of hours needed increase from 580 last year to 615 in 2006.

Overall, in the ease of doing business ranking, Jamaica fell from 48 to 50, but remained fourth in the Caribbean after St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Antigua and Barbuda.

BROAD SLATE OF REFORMS
    Former Soviet state Georgia, Mexico and Romania surpassed Jamaica, having implemented broad slate of reforms during the year, while Tonga fell below, from 46 in 2005 to 51 this year.

Jamaica's business environment hardly saw any changes during the year under review, 2006, but saw the cost of dealing with licences decline from US$15,300 to US$14,200 and improvements in the time to import and export goods, from 26 days to 20 days and from 20 days to 19 days, respectively.

The survey assesses and measures regulations affecting 10 areas of everyday business, which include starting a business; dealing with licences; employing workers; registering property; getting credit; protecting investors; paying taxes; trading across borders; enforcing contracts; and closing down business.

camilo.thame@gleanerjm.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Ja's tax system gets poor rating ...13th worst worldwide for doing business

Karl mi glad you see this article. Now you see what I was talking about. What encouragement do people have to invest when some people pay as much as 50% of their profit? While foriegn corporations get guranteed profit.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (10/17/2006)Karl mi glad you see this article. Now you see what I was talking about. What encouragement do people have to invest when some people pay as much as 50% of their profit? While foriegn corporations get guranteed profit.
      I hope you saw that "ease of doing business" in the Caribbean? ...and, you also realised that some of the topics touched in the last paragraph covered public and private sector entities?

Yes, Jamaica needs a tax overhaul...perhaps, we should just go the way of taxes on sales with the additional areas of tax on importsand licenses.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The Government need to tax every cookshop, Hair dresser, Higgler, barber shop, hair dresser, mechanics etc. and busses and taxi who pay loaders. All that money should go to local government. The key is to make this tax small so they can pay it and regulate them. This money that local government and MPs can use to fix up their community. This must be small and affordable. Isn't the GTC or whatever it is already on products sold?

It is sometime better to tax 1 million people 2 dollars more than 1 person 2 million $$$

you get the book yet?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well yuh ave tuh much different-different tax!

...an yes, mi get di book fram wah day. same time mi get di Jamie Lawrence book. Mi dun read di Jamie book an jus innah di Introave dis-yah wan.

Comment

a lot of countries in the eastern caribbean are becoming offshore incorporation centres/registries...and it is very lucrative right across the board...unfortunately the perceived level of corruption in jamaica would be a significant hindrance because of the various FATF and OECD initiatives.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

people don't understand the level of corruption in JA on both side have to decrease before we can talk bout investment andGrowth.

People including the Government won't deal with the fact. Corruption affect us even more than the murder rate. If we think we getting investment now let us clean up corruption and see. Then again we need to teach our own about wealth creation too and government need to foster that.

Comment

good,

What you think so far?

Comment

Working...
                X