• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurses threaten to air dirty laundry

Nurses threaten to air dirty laundry
    published: Friday | October 20, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Yahneake Sterling, Staff Reporter

Edith Allwood-Anderson (left) as she led nurses during a recent protest for a better salary and fringe benefits package from the Government. - Norman Grindley /Deputy Chief Photographer

President of the Nurses' Association of Jamaica (NAJ), Edith Allwood-Anderson, has threatened to reveal fully, the poor state of the island's health facilities, in an islandwide "public education campaign."

According to the NAJ head, revelations on conditions in the health sector, including the lack of equipment in hospitals, the scarcity of medical supplies and the much talked about shortage of human resources, will be the organisation's focus.

"We will be having a public education campaign ... We will raise the alarm that we need nurses to be in place. We need you (the public) to understand when you come to the health facility what is happening, and we need to have a safe environment when you come in. The bed rails must be there, there should be enough cots and there should be enough basic supplies," Mrs. Allwood-Anderson outlined.

Widespread problems

According to the NAJ head, problems with medical equipment are not unique to the Kingston Public Hospital or the Victoria Jubilee Hospital, but are widespread across the island.

She said there were malfunctioning autoclaves across the island.

She pointed to the Mandeville Regional Hospital that occasionally transports medical equipment to either the Percy Junor Hospital or the May Pen Hospital for sterilisation.

Mrs. Allwood-Anderson was last Saturday re-elected as president of the NAJ, giving her a fifth term at the helm of the organisation.

She was at the helm earlier this year when nurses staged several days of protest action in their salary dispute with the Government. That dispute has since been settled but the fiery nurses advocate has pledged to be a whistle-blower during her next term in office.

She revealed that simple equipment such as blood pressure machines are scarce in hospitals and are often bought by the nurses themselves.

Noting that archaic methods are currently being used by medical personnel to maintain the health sector, Mrs. Allwood-Anderson stressed that simple electronic devices are a must in modern health care.

"The Government needs to take stock and not wait and then react. We have to have some proactive interventions in the health sector," Mrs. Allwood-Anderson argued.
    </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Nurses threaten to air dirty laundry

What is she waiting for?

Let us know...NOW!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Heh, Heh..

Whistleblower legislation in place yet ?

Why yuh want people to destroy the illusion.. just keep on reading Dennis Morrison.. yuh cyaan handle the truth.

Comment

And while she's at it, she should also mention why her fellow nurses are snotty, rude and downright wrenk with their patients and visitors.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maudib (10/20/2006)Heh, Heh..

Whistleblower legislation in place yet ?

Why yuh want people to destroy the illusion.. just keep on reading Dennis Morrison.. yuh cyaan handle the truth.
          Whistleblowing? To state what the conditions at your workplace are like? Are you crazy?

...and, that information on this particular sector being put out by the reps of the workers - i.e. the union? ...and, you call that whistle blowing?

Unions are supposed to protect their members. Not reporting on what could be dangerous and or unsanitary, andor undermanned, and orconditions where production to ensure continued viability of the entity/sector such as to among other things preserve the jobs of its members would be dereliction of duty!

...that reporting would ensure action to put our health service physical structures, equipment and workers be better able to deliver good qualitysevice to acquaintances, friends, relatives, and not incidentally the workers in the sector. If nothing else self-interest should drive the Union and the workers/nurses to 'tell it like it is'!

Comment

it's the system I can recall when my dad was in

the hospital; I notice it was a pleasure for the nurses to tell relatives that it's time to go and they should leave the ward. Here immediate family stay 24/7 with patient. A friend of the family was in sloan for breast cancer and she had visitors on a round the clock basis. After her speedy recovery, sloan sent phds. to her house to to do more research because they said it had a lot to do with the support she had. A past co workers daughter got burnt and was in the hospital, they gave her a cot to sleep there. Other co workers came relieved her so she could wash up and come back.This child is now fully recovered and you could not know that she had burns (3rd degree) on her skin. Round the clock visits. Ja is behind in a lot of areas, but now I don't say anything I just leave Ja's system alone.

When you have the sick the last thing you need is discourtesy (they weren't with me but I'm just saying). This is how JA wants to live so I leave it alone.

Comment

True, true Jawge.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Well they say it sets you free , it's JA's system.

Comment

Working...
                X