Historian, based on your Sumfest post yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian, based on your Sumfest post yesterday

I went in search of some numbers. Dancehall night is said to have had 250,000 patrons for the event. Presold tickets were J$2100 and $2300 at the gate.

250,000 @ 2100 is how much? Thats just one night.

Add to that ... people that stay at hotels ... those that travel from all over the island affi buy gas ... some affi pay toll. Purchase of food and beverage etc? Did you ask a question about the impact on the economy?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Dancehall night is always the most popular of all nights. For an event that takes place annually, and exception should be made to allow the Sumfest to go late.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

250,000?!? No, not nearly as much, but the point is still valid. Whether we like it or not, Mavado and Vybz Kartel are a part of Jamaica's culture and a lucrative part of it too, as are 50 Cent and Birdman part of the money-making rap culture of the USA.

And it's going to be that way for the foreseeable future.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        250,000?!? No, not nearly as much, but the point is still valid. Whether we like it or not, Mavado and Vybz Kartel are a part of Jamaica's culture and a lucrative part of it too, as are 50 Cent and Birdman part of the money-making rap culture of the USA.

And it's going to be that way for the foreseeable future.
        I didn't make up the number, "Dapperly dressed in white, he came on stage amidst loud screams of appreciation from the estimated 250,000 patrons in the venue" (Jamaica Observer).
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

a wonder how big that venue is?

That a 3 times the amount of people giant stadium can hold. Jamaica a 2.5 million and nuff a that a children or under age and old people so that mean that nearly 1/5 of the adults on the island was in Sunsplash

them better stop.

No doubt it impact the economy especially fi the small man in that area.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Completely Missing the Point!!

I see. So, because of the attractive (seasonal) financial returns from Reggae Sumfest, our decision makers should then ignore the very laws that they insist that other people obey? You see how far removed we are from disciplined societies like, say, Singapore?

The really sad thing in all of this is that we often talk about the social problems facing Jamaica, not realizing that we are oftentimes not far removed from the mindset we claim are the cause of some of those problems!

Now think about this for a minute: How can the Minister of National Security, or whoever gave the required permission to bend the law in favor of Sumfest, now in all seriousness ask other promoters not to keep their entertainment activities beyond a certain time?

Parliament is the only entity under Jamaica’s Westminster system that can make, remove or modify laws. Until that branch of government (the Jamaica Parliament) amends the law relating to night noises, such law HAS to equally apply to everyone, else we are guilty of the double standards that we accuse so many others of.

Incidentally (and slightly off the issue here), Dancehall Night at Sumfest is yet another tangible evidence that filth and crudity takes pride of place among so many of us! How else can we explain individuals (locals and foreigners) purchasing tickets at those prices just to see artists display their most abusive, cussing and outlandishly vulgar behavior? As a Jamaican, Sumfest's Dancehall Night remains a yearly embarrassment to me!

Is it that there is something terribly wrong with me? Am I missing something here?

Comment

Newsletter?! Nuff said!

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It may be embarrassing to you, but there are thousands more that look forward to it. If promoters want to have extended hours keep the event at a venue away from residential areas. Jamaica is the so called land of reggae, I don't see the fuss about giving sumfest extended time.

People should be pushing for more events like these to pull in more tourists.

Theres alot of things we'd like an explantion for ... like why ppl continue buying dunkin donuts coffee during a heatwave?

These reggae festivals should be given support .. yes despite the bountys and kartels.

Comment

This was your post yesterday:

OJ, see my response to Mosiah above.

What about the people who have no interest in Sumfest? Are they to be made to suffer the cacophony of noise that passes for music as a result of the need by a few to make quick money?

In any case, what is the benefit of Sumfest to Jamaica’s economy and society? I can assure you that the benefits are much less that we may realize! I could show you societies that I’ve visited in the past where neighborhood parties end by midnight in ALL cases, following the guidelines of the law.

Growing up in Jamaica, the dancehall and sound system was part and parcel of society, and even then I used to wonder about the hardworking people and the school children who ask nothing more than to be allowed to sleep peacefully in their own homes. And these same music makers go to countries where such **************** is never tolerated and they fall in line!

Thankfully, as seen in the recent problems experienced by artists such as Tony Matterhorn, Bounty Killer, and Mavado, and cultural aberrations like Passa Passa, some of our Caribbean sister nations are prepared to draw the line!

Question is, when will Jamaica’s authorities come to their senses? (As I have usually done over the past two decades or so, I silently wish for a Fidel Castro to assume leadership of Jamaica, as western democracy seemingly is not suited for every society.)

Now, when you brought up "benefits to Jamaica's economy", that's where you went wrong. Any activity that brings considerable funds to your economy must not be taken lightly, and a prudent govt. would do what it can to ensure that it does not kill that cash cow. And that doesn't mean all laws should be ignored but here again I ask, what is the point of the Noise Abatement Act?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When was the last time you went to a concert boss, 1978?
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The promoters should just ensure they are held away from residences. There is at least one big concert in Jamaica every month and we should encourage them! Badwud and all, till 5 in di mawnin!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

1/4 MILLION people!!!!!!!!???????????

Count and come again Lazie!

That person who came on stage and announced that number-- was overwhelmed by the ganja smoke.

chussss mi.

Even 25,000 is pushing it in my opinion. assasin's example of giants stadium holding 80,000 is a good example that 250,000 is a gross and reckless over count.

Hope you are having a nice Sunday Lazie.

Historian:...stand firm!

Jamaican laws are a big laugh. Fuggettaboutit..!

As for me.. As soon as i press submit reply--i am going outside to cut that grass and trim the hedge before my secretary get bex.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Having a great Sunday .. hanging with my Divas.

The Observer is the only source I can find that gave a number. Okay .. lets disregard that.

I guess the next source that is presented is going to be disregarded even worse.

Note, "Reggae Sumfest brings in estimated 5,000 visitors to the island, along with US$5 million in revenue to Jamaica.A survey done by the Jamaica Tourist Board at the 2007"

U$5million @72 is how much.

When y'all have time ... http://www.reggaesumfest.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=244%3 Areggae-sumfest-encourages-visitor-arrivals-into-jamaica&catid=108%3Anew-releases&Itemid=313

Comment

I heard 25,000. I doubt very much it was 250,000. If is so much people, I say we allow the Sumfest people to break every law on the books!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How 250,000 people fi hold a Catherine Hall? Unnuh believe a Half Way Tree Bus dis?

Comment

Working...
                              X