Is Regional Integration Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Regional Integration Possible?

I’ve often hinted at my personal nationalism, as my admittedly isolationist philosophy has always been “Jamaica first.” Nevertheless, I’m fully aware, at the same time, that integration among the Caribbean countries (CARICOM, CARIFORUM, or whichever) is extremely important in this increasingly globalized world.

Of course, this year makes it 50 years since the first really promising attempt at regional integration, the 1958 West Indies Federation. Most of us here on the Reggae Boyz Forum will no doubt recall (from those high school history lessons) that by 1962 this forward-looking attempt had failed, primarily as a result of Jamaica’s decision, but also as a result of several other complex issues.

Fifteen years after Jamaica’s pull-out, another and longer lasting effort was made with the creation of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) in 1973. Today, not much seems to have changed since 1962 as far as integration of the various Caribbean nations are concerned.

I copied the following article from yesterday's Sunday Observer.

Where the CSME is feared
    We don't want it here. You are opening up yourself to the good and the bad - but mainly the bad, say some Grenadians
    BY CASSANDRA BRENTON Associate editor - Sunday publications brentonc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, July 20, 2008

It is a cool, wet Tuesday night in St George's, Grenada and a group of residents are sharing a few drinks and laughs at a pub in Point Salines.

The atmosphere is genuinely warm and friendly, providing a potent shot to calm the frazzled nerves of bone-weary travellers.
    Map of the Caribbean showing the long travel path Observer Associate editor Cassandra Brenton had to take from Jamaica to get to Antigua.
    One Smirnoff Ice, chased with debates with the locals about Grenada's politics and the value of the Caricom Single Market and Economy (CSME), rapidly dulled my memory of flight JM 95 missing its first attempt to land at the Point Salines International Airport. The pilot could not see the runway because of the poor weather conditions. Fortunately, he found it on the second attempt.

Half-an-hour later, as I sat around the table sipping on the cool beverage with my new friends, my wretched four-hour flight delay at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston was long forgotten. Gone, too, was the smouldering resentment I had silently harboured during the almost four-hour-long flight because I would be forced to overnight in Grenada en route to Antigua.

My trip was rushed, and all the direct flights to Antigua were full. Ironically, I was on my way to attend a Newspaper Editors' Workshop on Caricom's bold thrust - the CSME - which allows, among other things, the free movement of labour and capital across national boundaries, as well as for "hassle-free" travel, including provisions for Caricom national/non-Caricom national lines at ports of entry, common E/D (embarkation and disembarkation) forms and Caricom passports.

But as Wednesday morning approached, these bitter feelings rapidly gave way to easy laughter, which rose above the Calypso music playing in the background and the melodious sounds of chirping crickets. I told them I'm only in Grenada for a few hours to catch a 'shut-eye' before making my way to the CSME workshop at the Jolly Beach Resort and Spa in Bolans, Antigua.

This Editors' Workshop was geared at promoting greater awareness and understanding of Caricom among practitioners, and in particular the CSME. The presentations include "Free Movement of Skills and Labour", "Making a living in the Caricom and the CSME" and "Trade and Commerce and Competition". The approximately 30 editors from member states will also engage in practical exercises on how to simplify writing on CSME and Caricom issues.

The Single Market (SM), facilitating the free movement of skills and capital, is in place in Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica. The plan also includes, among other things, a single monetary standard by 2015.

According to Caricom, work on the single economy "is ongoing".
    But my Grenadian friends - who already share a single currency (the Eastern Caribbean dollar) with their neighbours in the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) - are sceptical of the CSME.
    The group of five men and one woman told the Sunday Observer that that the SM will only benefit larger territories.

"We don't want it here," all five people sitting at the table said in unison, while requesting anonymity.

"The infected are going to infect the uninfected," interjects the pub owner - who remained standing - meaning that nationals from larger countries, which tend to be plagued by higher rates of crime and violence, could introduce these bad elements into his homeland.

The pub owner was, however, more analytical in his arguments.
    "I have mixed feelings about the CSME," he continued. "There are advantages and disadvantages," he said. "You are opening up yourself to the good and the bad - but mainly the bad." He said that while his country would benefit from the exchange of different cultures and languages, Grenada's unemployment and crime levels were likely to increase.

"Our crime rate, which is heading for a record this year (15) would increase," he noted.

"We have fewer crimes here, and we want to keep it this way," one resident interjected.

"The more qualified people in the bigger islands will be able to move where the better jobs are, while the less qualified will have to try and catch up," the pub owner continued.

Under the SM at present, the category of workers eligible to move and work freely within the community include university graduates, media workers, sportspersons, artistes, musicians, teachers and nurses.

Caricom plans to implement full and free movement of labour within the CSME by 2009.

Meanwhile, the pub owner noted that if Grenadians are to effectively compete for jobs elsewhere in the region then the government has to "fix" the country's education system, which all six residents concurred was "poor".

Until then, the residents said Grenada will forever be at a disadvantage.

"Grenada is trying to prepare for the CSME, but we are not ready," the Rastafarian in the group declared.

Invariably, the discussion turned to politics, a favourite pastime of most Caricom nationals. But unlike in Jamaica where these heated debates sometimes turn deadly, the Grenadians remained level-headed and calm. They listened and respected the views of the others in the group.

Correction

The statement “fifteen years after Jamaica’s pull-out” is an example of poor math. The correct statement should have been “eleven years after Jamaica’s pull-out.”

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      According to Caricom, work on the single economy "is ongoing".
      But my Grenadian friends - who already share a single currency (the Eastern Caribbean dollar) with their neighbours in the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) - are sceptical of the CSME.
      The group of five men and one woman told the Sunday Observer that that the SM will only benefit larger territories.

Invariably, the discussion turned to politics, a favourite pastime of most Caricom nationals. But unlike in Jamaica where these heated debates sometimes turn deadly, the Grenadians remained level-headed and calm. They listened and respected the views of the others in the group.
      The red tape to get your caricom work visa is prohibitive, unless you have an employer who is willing to go to bat with you... it appears that this visa is given grudgingly at least from what I have seen.

And is her observation above about political arguments true?
      Peter R

Comment

Historian, unlike you I think I have always been a regionalist at heart and since I have been living outside of Jamaica I have been more convinced how much more alike we in the region are than different .

However to answer your question, I don't think significant regional integration is possible at this point in time simply because most people in the region are either against it or don't really care.

These kinds of things generally have to have the passionate support of most people involved to have any chance of working, and at this point in history people in the Caribbean see themselves as belonging to thier island first and the region a distant second.

I am a student of history and always try to draw from it for explanations for things, and i often wonder how groups like the Kurds, despite being separated politically for generations against thier will, still have the enduring dream of one day establishing the nation of Kurdistan (and I think that one day they will ) while we in the Caribbean who are as culturally similar as these groups see ourselves as different.

I think it is partly the "island effect" ; ie the fact that most of us have not really travelled inter-island much, and also that we have not been persecuted "as a group" so to speak. When we think of historical persecution we tend to think in racial terms and for good reason.

It may well happen one day depending on the regional and world events that unfold. In reality we are still a young group of nations, but at this time I don't see much of a regional movement developing.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Islandman, Excellent Response!

Islandman, I fully agree with every sentence you have written above! In fact, I am 100-percent sure that the reasons you have given are the central reasons holding back integration in our region.

Your example of the Kurds is also a totally relevant one, and one that I plan to use in any future discussions I have with friends and colleagues on Caribbean integration.

Like you, I strongly feel that, as you stated it, integration “may well happen one day depending on the regional and world events that unfold. In reality we are still a young group of nations, but at this time I don’t see much of a regional movement developing.”

Excellent comments throughout, boss!

Comment

Jamaica's distance from the rest of the Caricom bloc does not help. I hear students in the "small islands" regularly take trips to neighbouring islands and many have cousins scattered throughout. Meanwhile, Jamaicans take trips to Florida, where our relatives are scattered about. A glance at the map provided starkly illustrates the geographical divide which translates into so much more.

In other words, could we be the problem? Again? Why is Jamaica important to the mix? Or am I missing the boat and the rest of them, out dehso, don't want it either, Jamaica or no Jamaica?
            Last edited by Mosiah; July 21, 2008, 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the appropriateness of your monikeris not lost on me.

jamaicans have hardly ever looked to travel in the caribbean...other than t&t and b'dos for uwi. part of the reason is that it really is not that easy to get to ...say grenada and for the cost of the trip and the time.....they can go to florida....and go shopping.

the caribbean had not been seen as a means to improve one's circumstances ... yet for years there has been a steady flow of professionals....lawyers, doctors, engineers .... throughout the caribbean PLUS the fact that whether they will admit it or not....the other islands look to jamaica to show the way...we are the dominant culture and the most visible.

i, myself did not travel the caribbean extensively until about 8 years ago....since then i have been to st. john, st thomas, st croix, st kitts, st lucia, antigua, st martin/st maarten, dominca, grenada, guadeloupe, barbados and t&t and i enjoyed all of those places...yet to go to angulla st vincent, aruba and st barts....

the islands do have much to offer and i do think that there must be some way in which there can be mutually beneficial co-operation.....the risk of losing our cultural identity..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Jamaica has generally been considered important to the mix because 1) the size of our economy relative to the rest is very significant and 2) For good or bad our culture and influence is dominant in the English-speaking region wether the other islanders like it or not. The result is that the other islands know a lot more about Jamaicans than Jamaicans know about them.

So yes I think from he start we have been "the problem". Also we are basically the ones that mash up the first Federation so there are lingering feelings so I don't think anybody is really excited about the idea.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Is it time to just squash the dream and move on, as we should have done a long time ago with this thing called Windies cricket?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think we should focus on US Statehood...

Comment

I'd say document it well and put it on the shelve for future generations to analyze.
                      One of the things we as a people do not enough is record our history so we can look back at what did and didn't work.

Comment

It will never happen in the short run. The fear of unkown will keep it from happening and the politicians with big egos.

Jamaica has a long way to go before it will be accepted. Our dollar and our economy is not enticing to any other caribbean country but our market is of value to them. We have to seriously think about that.

The people have to be educated about CMSE and not politically but frankly tell them of the good and the bad, all over the caribbean and set good policies to deal with our problems.

I think however the best thing to do is go ahead with the single market, forget about all the other aspects but deal with economics. We should buy in bulk because we eat the same thing, import from each other and Jamaica shouldn't have such a huge balance of trade with the caribbean as they wantus to buy their product but in some case provide roadblock against Jamaican product. Negociate proper trade deals with bigger nation and stop backbiting.

I have only been to a few caribbean islands and look forward to travelling. I have encounter many friends and they all have the same opinion that crime is getting worst in all these countries but I guess we top it all for now.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

But even then there is some feelings amongst many on the different islands too.

Don't for one think we are the only one involved in transhipment of drugs and it create a fuss against some of the small islanders.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Perhaps, but the dual citizenship law must remain!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Perhaps, but the dual citizenship law must remain!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X