• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian, what do you think of artistes like

Niyorah, Fyakin, Midnite?
    Peter R

Midnite

Peter, I just came back online and saw your question.

I’m going to disappoint you somewhat with my answer, as except for Midnite, I know nothing of the artists you mentioned above. In fact, I have never heard of either Niyorah or Fyakin before.

As far as the reggae band Midnite is concerned, I know that they are based on the island of St Croix in the US Virgin Islands. I first became aware of the group when I saw them perform on MTV Tempo’s “Live & Direct” several years ago. “Live & Direct,” as you probably already know, was a collection of Tempo “welcoming” (for want of a better word) concerts held across the Caribbean when MTV first launched this channel in the region.

That was the only occasion that I saw Midnite on stage. I wasn’t particularly impressed because of two factors. First, the dreadlocked lead singer seemed afraid of singing in front of the band, and he kept disappearing in the midst of the players, with the result that that really personable keyboard player (who I assume is the band leader) was at the forefront of the group position-wise. I guess it was lack of experience on the part of the lead singer, but it unfortunately made him look a bit silly.

Secondly, there was nothing particularly attention-grabbing about the of the band’s playing. In fact, I was reminded of some of the early community reggae groups of the 1970s in Jamaica.

Of course, my comments here should not be taken as any form of authoritative comment on Midnite, as it is based solely on the one time I ever saw them perform.

Comment

Peter are you still in TT.. Is Jah Melody getting any play down there?

Comment

I find Midnite's vocals hard to understand. Their shows have bombed really hard in the US, and they need to work on a few hits before touring.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Historian, I don't know these artistes well either. Yes, Midnite is the band from St Croix. Niyorah according to what I read is from Dominica but grew up in a St Thomas (island) ghetto. Fyakin is from yaad. Listen to his "Trumpet Sounding" if you get a chance.. ballad-like with an acosutic-type guitar backup..nice music.

The reason I ask about these guys, particularly the non-JA artistes is that I get ketch thinking they're from yard when I first hear the music. Shows the power, the dominance of Jamaican music in the region...what you guys alluded to on the other thread on regional unity.

Anyway, maybe someone from JA can tell me/us if Fyakin is fulfilling his potential.
          Peter R

Comment

Yes...but I couldn't tell you if heavy or not. I see Jah Melody on my laptop... (my son keeps all his music on it) so I assume he's getting play.
            Peter R

Comment

Working...
            X