Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia not ready?

<DIV class=KonaBody>

You know, last year, while the People's National Party (PNP) was trying to find itself a new leader, I told a colleague here that if Portia Simpson Miller became prime minister, I was not going to return to <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN>. However, after she won, I thought 'What the heck!' she can't possibly do any worse than any of the men in the party. It is now becoming painfully obvious that she can.

I was hoping that Omar would have won because despite the fact that he was the most unpopular candidate, I believed then and still believe now, that he is the right man for the job. Political leaders should not be chosen on popularity alone. If I am hiring someone for a job, it's nice when they're likeable but it is much better if they are capable.

Portia became Jamaica's first female prime minister on a wave of popularity not seen since the Michael Manley hey day, but after just over six months, that wave of excitement is all but dead.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am all for Jamaica having a female prime minister, just not Portia. And it's not just about her not being bright enough, or sophisticated enough, or experienced enough at the international level. For me, it's all of the above and more.

First it was all the religious hype that went nowhere fast. Then it was Trafigura, which she has botched mightily as leader of the party, and now she has managed to upset the head of the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">European </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Union</SPAN>, if the Jamaica Observer is to be believed. If the latter is true, then people 'oonu no see say di ooman no ready!"

What more proof does Jamaica need? I know it's only been six months but do we need more time?

Perceived corruption

If Portia was on probation, she would have got her dismissal letter by now.

I am not so concerned about what she hasn't done because in the world of politics and finance and the sort, six months is no time at all. I am more concerned about her inability to deal effectively with the simplest of matters.

As it concerns Trafigura, she could have and should have used the opportunity to show Jamaica that she is in charge and will not tolerate the perceived corruption that currently exists. Call for a speedy and thorough investigation, then fire Colin Cam
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Portia not ready?

thanks exacly what I'm talking about; This clown did not

wait for the facts or use a little analysis but jumps off and starts to rant. Ask this clown what gets a political leader elected? It's not your managerial skills. I hope this guy represents a very small minority of ja's intellectual class. See the 17th century talk that you are born for certain things (such as political leadership) are you kidding me? Lazie is it club or something? where are you finding these articles boss?

Comment

All yuh have to do is read the newspapers. The problem is unthinking people like you rely too much on feelings.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

and here I was thinking it was a Mutty's club

with secret handshakes and all. Ma bad Lazie LOL

Comment

For your information sire, political learders are groomed and it is a very long tedious period that is best started when they get into University or at least in the early twenties if they did not have the benefit of a tertiary education.

Talk to any one who went to UWI and they will tell yuo how the process starts and that the political parties actually start their procces there by placing their people in certain positions and paying for their political campaigns.

This is not hearsay by the way or opinion but facts.

You notic emost world leaders are lawyers or have legal backgroud, this is not by mistake boss...It would have served Portia well to do a law degree where she would have been exposed to many of the things she is facing for the first time now or better yet a degree in international relations.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Mere fact him say Omar is the right man for the job and suggested he would not return to JA if Portia won, show this man is clueless.

Comment

see this is what is detroying JA too much tradition;

"Oh this is how we were doing it for years" Guess what time has changed; we are in a new time. It is obvious that the new elite will be technocrats. I refuse to see where one has to attend UWI in order to do well in JA's politics.One does not have to be a lawyer to be a political leader. Time has shown us that anyone with the charisma (generals, layman,engineers et al) can lead their people as long asthey have the right vision, character and mettle. let me say it here now:I see where they took in Trevor and DM and had to leave, this is outright bs and it's the same antiquated thinking that caused this. Trevor has nothing to offer, he only thinks one way (and will not change to fit the times) I read DM's speech and she had some of the same ideas that Ipreach on this board (at times you wonder how two minds can see the same things and they never met) I was taken aback when in Ja and saw Govt. senator Trevor Monroe (man's damn communist and will never change for all I'm concerned).Truss nuff foundation PNP nuh happy wid him upthere neither (talk wha mi hear pon street ah yaad).Mi gone.

PS: Trust me this has nothing to do with the fact that I admired DM back in the days. It's just the truth. At times you wonder if they really want any real progress for JA.

Comment

Is only Lazie can find these people, mi strongly believe say

is a club

Comment

Found the Omar part funny to be honest. As bad as Portia is, did the people have a better choice?
                  1. <LI>Portia Simpson</LI><LI>Peter Phillips</LI><LI>Karl Blyte</LI><LI>Omar Davies</LI>

Better KD Knight did run to rahtid, at least everybody would be aware that he was a comic from day one.

Comment

That is where you are dead wrong, modern politicians and leaders are groomed and made- you think popularity can go to the EU or even to where you think the seat of power lies in the Oval Office?

If Portia does not go to Bush or whomever with serious arguments, the meeting over in three minutes flat..think she can go to any donor meeting without serious preparartion?

These leaders are not going to hear from her advisors, they want to hear from her and they will be listening to make certain she knows what she is talking about

Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

What are you talking about? the same way the PM

presented herself to the PSOJ it's the same way she can present herself to any world leader. If she meets GW Bush on technical matters, Iam sure she will be briefed by her aides, hence she presents her case, after the two leaders agree or formulate a conclusionthen the aides iron out the details. I don't know who or what you guys listening in Ja but stop please. As for the Empire argument; let's say it's out there in the deep ocean and you are on the shore. We will just leave that one alone, shall we?

Comment

Can just see you now at club meetings

Comment

Yes we should as it seems you are over your head on what it takes to be an effective leader and to use your example you are now taking on water like a sieve...how dare you compare the PSOJ to the EU or any world leader...just goes to show how desperate you are to even forget she dodged the PSOJ and had to be prodded back to meet with them.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

sorry sickko, a meeting between bush and portia should be interesting. dem both on the same level, the difference is bush know him limitation and surroundhimself with smart people, look who portia appoint as information minister.

Comment

Working...
                            X