• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immoral, unethical, but not illegal

Immoral, unethical, but not illegal

Tamara Scott-Williams

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Watched Milton Walker's show Direct on CVM the other night. I sat there, for the most part, riveted, glued to the set, fascinated all the while by Raymond Pryce, chairman of the youth arm of the People's National Party, the Patriots, and feeling a little sorry for the Senator, Dr Chris Tufton, his political counterpart for the evening. I sat there thinking that the Jamaica Labour Party was surely being out foxed that night on the air.

Tamara Scott-Williams

For Pryce is slick, fast-talking, seemingly erudite, confident, has a quick-draw handle on the facts and the information and wasn't backing down for a second from argument put forward by Dr Chris Tufton -president of the JLP's young professional group, Generation 2000, or G2K. Tufton was putting forward an argument about the PNP's political arrogance and refusal to provide clarity on political stink, much less Trafigura. Pryce cut a lot of dash, no question. Tufton, by comparison, seemed a little pedantic.

By no means was any of this a beauty contest. But packaging and choreography was part of the presentation and as far as that goes, Pryce had won hands down. He was dazzling and smooth and made some of us think that perhaps we were just asking too much. The Distraction Theory holds that: "Exposure to nature appears to reduce pain through different types of mechanisms, including distraction and stress reduction. Distraction theory holds that pain absorbs attention; the more attention devoted to pain, the greater the experienced intensity.

If patients are diverted by or become engrossed in a pleasant nature view, they allocate less attention to pain, and accordingly the intensity is reduced."

I was very distracted by Raymond Pryce's every word and action, because he looked as though his world was trouble-free. Dressed in a very slim navy blue suit, with tie, shiny and fashionably square-toed lace-ups, he looked pulled together and fit.

He sat at the edge of his stool, feet on the second bar, hand casually akimbo or laid purposefully across the anchor desk. He looked ready to leap off that stool onto the table in a single bound, if he needed to demonstrate a point. Dr Tufton, by comparison looked a little rumpled, a little like a forgetful professor, a little slow to start, a little didactic and defensive with his accusations of the PNP's political arrogance.

And when Pryce offered that "Colin Campbell chose to resign to allow more space for the (Trafigura) issue to be aired, suggesting that certainly, this is the more "contemporary" manner in which to resolve issues such as these. It suggested that only the unsophisticated among us would not understand that Campbell's resignation was a heroic and not a shameful act.

It was clear that the PNP had in their arsenal a young man who would go to any lengths to make the Jamaican public, all , believe that the events surrounding the Trafigura affair were, as the PNP has been positioning it: "Wrong, but not dishonest. Illegal, but not corrupt."

Who was this man, Pryce? Pryce has been hovering below the radar for a little while after suffering the fallout of a faulty analysis in which Minister Phillip Paulwell publicly accused 13 retailers - including two of the island's largest supermarket chains - of price-gouging in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan. Paulwell was acting on information from the Consumer Affairs Commission of which Pryce was director of research and information at the time. He subsequently resigned.

You may recall Pryce's sage counsel when he said that consumers were likely to end up with larger expenses, in the form of the reconnection penalty atop their bills, if they insisted on protesting infrequent and inaccurate meter reading procedures by refusing to pay their bills. "I am not convinced that this is a well-thought-out approach nor is it the most appropriate," he said. He saved a great many people a reconnection fee and a

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: Immoral, unethical, but not illegal

very interesting article...i liked how it was written.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes! Interesting...very, interesting!!

Good!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"When a future leader, as young Pryce did, can excuse an "immoral and unethical action" because it was "not illegal," it makes you wonder what else they're capable of."

Ms. Williams, when yuh hear people who should have some ehtical standard defend this Trafigura affair, it is no surprise that Pryce can act the fool. Then again when comics like KD Knight is idolized, can we expect any better?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

One correction - the Patriots is not the Youth Arm of the PNP - is it asking too much to do a little research?

Comment

You think KD Knight is a comic ? - at the bar or in the house ?

Comment

Well, his performance during the no confidence motion was simply comical to say the least. As a matter of fact, even his performance during the PAC questioning the contractor general show that he is a consistent performer. Him mek Cedric the Entertainer and Steve HArvey look like dem naah try.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

leads me to another question

what does those performances say about the ability and capacity of Audley Shaw?

Comment

What does Shaw have to do with KD's performance at the no confidence motion? Are you talking about Shaw's contribution to the debate?

Regarding the PAC yes, on the first day he gave KD too much room or should I say too much respect, but on the second day he did put his foot down.

Are we going to start blaming Shaw for KD's ADD?

Comment

Sorry I meant the PAC meetings , "put his foot down""gave too much room" - you are being way too kind here

as to the No confidence motion - a lot of persons thought KD was the top performer in that Debate

have you ever seen a trial lawyer walking on the benches to get to the judge?

Comment

:w00t:Top performer? That must be on comical content. I listened to KD's contribution and yes I too got a few laughs. Anybody who said that clearly took the entire session for a local episode of comic view.

On day 2 of the PAC I heard on the news where Shaw reprimanded KD when he was acting the fool. Afterwards, Shaw sent everyone on a break. Since then I haven't heard of anymore KD Klowning at the PAC. Well, unless the news not telling us.

Comment

Only ignorant people allow KD to use his legal speak to make some non-existent point. I've have listened to him a lot recently and I find him extremely wrenk in trying to insult my intelligence. Mek him move and gwey!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X