• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn a bit about yuh parish.

Lazie is here to teach the people,
    I'm not here to decieve the people.

THE PARISHES OF SURREY
    The parish of St. Andrew, formed in 1867, was originally called Liguanea after the Liguanea Plain in which it lies. Since most of the other 13 parishes were named after governors of Jamaica, their wives, or English kings, it is possible that St. Andrew derived its name similarly. St. Thomas, for example, may have been named after Thomas, Lord Windsor, Governor of Jamaica in 1662. Portland was named after the Duke of Portland, Governor in 1723, the year of the parish's formation. Kingston was once called Beeston after Sir William Beeston who served as Lt.-Governor of the island from 1693-1700. It is not known how the parish received the name Kingston although a letter from Port Royal dated July 3, 1693 referred to it being known by some as "Kingston" and others as "killcown". Kingston was made a parish in 1713.

THE PARISHES OF MIDDLESEX

St. Catherine, formed in 1867, was named after Charles II's Queen, Katherine, and it was once spelled as such. Charles II was king when the parish was formed. St. Mary, may have been named after the Spanish port Santa Maria, although Modyford's daughter was called Mary and when St. Mary was first formed, it was next to the parish of St. George which was named after George Nedham, Mary's husband. Clarendon was named after Cromwell, the Lord Chancellor and St. Ann was named after Ann Hyde, wife of James II. In 1814 Manchester was formed from the parishes of Clarendon, Vere and St. Elizabeth. It was named after the Duke of Manchester who was governor of Jamaica when it was formed.

THE PARISHES OF CORNWALL

St. Elizabeth was named in honour of Elizabeth, wife of Sir Thomas Modyford, who was Governor when it was formed in the seventeenth century. Trelawny, formed in 1770 was named for former governor Sir William Trelawny who died in Jamaica in 1772. St. James was named for the Duke of York who became James II. Hanover, formed in 1725-26 out of parts of Westmoreland and St. James, it was named after the then reigning family in England ­ it was originally to be called St. Sophia in honour of the mother of George I but this idea was overridden. Formed in 1703, Westmoreland's name may simply come from the fact that it is the westernmost parish in the island. Each parish has unique places of interest and characteristics. St. Ann, for example, is known as the Garden Parish for its extreme beauty. The population of our 14 parishes is approximately 2.6 million people, the majority of which reside in the parishes of Kingston and St. Andrew.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Learn a bit about yuh parish.

Thanks Lazie. I may also add that the Western part of Portland, was at that time called St. George. The far eastern part of Portland (Long Bay to Hector's River) was also a part of the St. Thomas parish.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Gwaan Mdmex. I see you know bout yuh parish. All I know about St. Ann is that it produces famous people and the highest grade.:P
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

There was a St. Catherine before the date listed, the current St. Catherine is an amalgamation of St Dorothy, St Thomas in the Vale, St Catherine and a part of Vere.

Manchester was created because, the journey to Black River was too much to pay their Tax, St James was divided to form St. James and Trelawny. I am not sure where Hanover got a part of St. James(sickko is that why you claim Lethe, andcapture Tryall and Roundhill hotel:w00t, let me check this on my French map of JA. St andrew and Kingston got a piece of Port Royal and kingston a piece of St. Andrew.

Most ridiculous statements:

Hanover is the smallest Parish

Manchester don't have any sea.

St Ann have the best...., awright kill mi nuh, only on de whites...:crazy:

Kingston don't have any river eehhh

Comment

Working...
        X