• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to the "Dragon"

'I met a Dragon'
    Nadine Sutherland
    Friday, November 14, 2008

Byron Lee

I've often wondered throughout my childhood, if dragons are real. The fierce, fire-blazing reptilian animal is oftentimes cast as the creature the handsome prince has to slay in order to save the village. The reward for his valour - the dainty and beautiful princess.
    Chinese Astrology has different animals, for people born in specific years. The dragon has a year - the animal I am linked to is the fun-loving monkey. However, this has made me think that dragons must have existed sometime . somewhere. The Chinese culture is one of the oldest in the world. Probably the dragon is not a mythological creature, but just somewhat extinct.

I think I met one though.

I don't know if Byron Lee was born in the year of the Dragon; I was told he got the 'Dragon' from his beloved alma mater, St George's College, which uses the dragon as the school's emblem.

Two years ago, when I released my album, Call My Name, it entered my mind to perform on Jamaica Carnival as one of the singles, Big Tingz, has a dancehall-soca vibes. I remembered a promise made to me by Mister Lee several years ago to call on him when I needed him. (I sang on one of Dragonaires album -Sof Lee 2 - and he made this promise to me after the session was completed. Probably 15 years ago.) Anyway, I called, and he and the organisers were more than willing to have me on their show at Richmond Park.

I remember that night at Richmond Park so clearly. It was a thrill-skanking and dutty-wining, having the legendary Dragonaires backing me. The big joke of the night was, I wore one of my many wigs, and was holding on to it for dear life during the dutty-whine, my head twirling in mad abandon, exciting the crowd, while begging the gods not to make the wig fly off. Everyone thought it was my unique way of doing this dance.

The memory that has stuck me most was when his daughter, Julianne Samuels, came backstage after and took me to see her Dad. We all knew of his health crisis, and were doubting his presence, but, as I learnt that night, this man had the fire of the dragon he has been called most of his life.

Alison Hinds, myself and Julianne found him resting on a lounge chair, behind the sound board he was helping to monitor. He was very tired, as a man in his condition should have been in a hospital bed. Julianne went over and kissed him and told him of our presence. Alison and I went to him. We were expressing our love and concerns, asking him to take it easy. We heard that he was aware of every detail of the Carnival and, on top of that, he was ensuring that the crowd had the best sound possible.
    During the conversation, I realised why he was doing this. This was a man who was grappling with his mortality, but taking from life the beauty of its promises. He wasn't sitting in his hospital bed waiting on the Grim Reaper, he was living. With tears in his eyes he said to us. "This is what is keeping me alive." His music, Jamaica Carnival, his family, his band his fellow performers, all his passions combined, everything that he worked all his life for, that was what was sustaining him.

I think all our eyes watered, you know us girls, emotional to the end. Julianne whispered, "I love this man so much."

I knew I was sharing a sacred moment. From all talks, his diagnosis was dire, but all I could feel was hope and inspiration.

I believe I stand on the shoulders of those who came before me. Byron Lee is one of those, just like Alton Ellis.

I was speaking to my neighbour, after both their passings, and I felt the younger set of artistes take this business for granted. These men went through a lot for us. I heard Alton's story, on Ian Boyne's Profile, his pain and anguish by some of his life experiences had me respecting what I have more.

I never knew that Byron had any discrimination in his life, he was after all Byron Lee, a larger-than-life figure - the Dragon. However, the night after the session he told me about a party uptown in the 60s where he had been invited to perform. When he arrived at the front door, he was instructed to go through the back, because he was a mere musician.

The Dragon created hell at this snobbery. He stood up for himself and his bandmates. I don't remember how the story ends, all I know, I listened, totally engrossed, envisioning the young Byron staring the bigots in their eyes. An irritated dragon is one I wouldn't want to cross.

I've performed several times uptown and this has never happened to me. Byron's actions more than likely blazed away that 'fool-fool' behaviour. Alton, back in the days, wasn't paid for some of his performances, because of dishonest promoters and this still exists up to this day, but it happens.

This generation owes a lot to these icons. The younger artistes need to look at their good fortune, stop their petty quarrels and rejoice in their blessings. These men, Alton and Byron, left a foundation on which we should build, not destroy. I will speak their names on my lips as much as I can, hoping that the power of words takes it to the heavens, as I do my part to ensure that their legacy lives on.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X