Media barred from Jamaica House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media barred from Jamaica House

The media blockade imposed by the governing People's National Party continued yesterday when some members of the print and electronic media were barred from entering <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> House about midday, while International Olympic Committee (IOC) President, Count Jacques Rogge, paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller.

Reporters and photographers who turned up at the Hope Road gate shortly before noon were told by a policeman that he had received instructions to deny entry to the private media.

A Gleaner photographer and crew from Radio Jamaica and Television Jamaica were among those who were not allowed entry. Subsequent checks revealed that two local photographers, one contracted to the Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA) for the visit of the IOC boss and another who works for the Associated Press were earlier allowed in to cover the event.

Contacted yesterday, the Prime Minister's Press Secretary, <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Lincoln</SPAN> Robinson, expressed surprise.

"There is no policy to block media from Jamaica House," Robinson said.

"The event was down for limited photographic coverage by the Jamaica <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Information </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Service</SPAN> (JIS) but a quick call to my office (by the security men) would have been enough to get permission for entry. I have been told that a photographer from the Jamaica Observer was present for the event."

President of the JOA, Mike Fennell, commented on the matter briefly, shortly after the IOC president had a meeting with veteran Olympian Herb McKenley at the head office of the JOA.

Fennell said he did not know what the reasons were for blocking some members of the press from the courtesy call on the Prime Minister.

Full Coverage

"I wanted full coverage. That's all I can say ... I do not know what the reasons are ..." said Fennell.

Members of the ruling party have been at loggerheads with the press recently following the publication of a photograph of the Prime Minister doodling during a recent sitting of Parliament. House Speaker Michael Peart has since barred rep
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Media barred from Jamaica House

them say nuh believe what you read Lazie.

Roger Clarke is also a dumb man. Him realise the candidate selection a create a problem for the party and him still a force ahead.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Balla would be a good information minister.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (11/4/2006)Balla would be a good information minister.
        Dem man deh get places by being loyal. When the corrupt system reward you, it hard for you to criticize it. You nuh see how Alston Stewartwas alittle small assistant at Housing Ttrust and den couple years later him have how much vehicle, den years later him in charge of all sorts of things.

Comment

This is stupid but guess what, it happens all the time and I can bet you my next few months salary, (all Us$20 of it) that it was some peon who took it up on themselves to play security guard.

You people haveno idea how hard it is at times for the media to get into media events, especially when it is being held at some hotels.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
          X