Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazie plaese give me your thoughts

on this article (Matter of fact assasin, Ben et al can jump in too):

[B]<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>The lessons of Trafigura</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Dennis Morrison
    Sunday, November 05, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>The Trafigura issue brought into sharp relief a number of critical issues relating to how Jamaican political parties raise financing for their normal operations and particularly for election campaigns.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=70 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Dennis Morrison</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>For one, we were reminded that there really is a total lack of knowledge about their accounts and no disclosure of their financial affairs. What this means is that the political parties, which are an indispensable part of our democracy and are the largest organisations in the country, operate virtually in the dark when it comes to matters of their financial affairs.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Trafigura issue turned the spotlight on the ruling PNP in what has been claimed to be an exposure aimed at protecting the national interest by the JLP, but regarded by others as really a political ploy.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The presumed national interest was linked to Trafigura's business relations with the state oil company, PCJ, in the trading of oil. So far, there is no evidence, however, to support any claim that the controversial transaction was related to PCJ's dealing with that company.<P class=StoryText align=justify>What the whole affair brought to light is how little we know about the techniques used by the political parties, and corporate and other donors, in effecting contributions. Except for those directly involved in these matters, people were generally unaware that dummy invoices are an integral part of how money passes from donors to the parties. These dummy invoices are obviously used on all sides, and while the spotlight of the Trafigura issue has been on the PNP, a full system of disclosure would surely expose donations going to the JLP in a similar way.<P class=StoryText align=justify>At the very minimum, some steps must be taken to remove political party financing from this informal system. It allows too much scope for illicit money to influence our politics. Money from legal commercial sources also can, operating outside of the glare of publicity, easily manipulate our parties in ways not very different from the despicable dons that overrun garrison communities. Serious rules of disclosure will not, overnight, cure the deficiencies in the party financing system, but the total veil of secrecy which now exists can be lifted.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the USA, the campaign financing system is still flawed, despite rules laid down and reforms that have been made. At least, there, people know who the big donors are, what parties they support, and the influence that the big donors are likely to exert. We here in Jamaica can only surmise which big monied players are standing behind the respective parties, and pontificate what favours they may be seeking in return.<P class=StoryText align=justify>I wonder how many people have thought about the following questions: how do corporate donors now account for their political donations to election campaigns, especially in their financial statements? And what about their tax returns? Are the large donations hidden away somewhere as a cost which is offset against revenues, thereby reducing their tax liabilities? How much of the contributions is handed out in brown paper bags as against through cheques drawn to settle dummy invoices?<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the 1980s, accusations

RE: Lazie plaese give me your thoughts

Lazie: Shall say that is a red herring!

Hey! He said it before when others on this board raised the same line of questioning!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yuh sure Karl? Lazie is more objective

than that, hence I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Mi curious, unuh slow or something? How much time mi tell unuh say it has nothing to do with campaign financing? Unuh nuh understand the implication ofbribes and kickback? If it was all about campaign financing, there would be no issue.

Unuh and the writer can claim suspicions with the JLP, what unuh fail fi see is that while unuh yet to provide any proof that the JLP was involved in bribes and kickback (Sickko, yuh waan try this week again?), there is hard evidence on the PNP.

Then again, unuh have always proven that unuh have a problem thinking, therefore addressing Trafigura wid unuh is a waste of time. Do like Balla .... nuh say nothing.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (11/5/2006)Mi curious, unuh slow or something? How much time mi tell unuh say it has nothing to do with campaign financing? Unuh nuh understand the implication ofbribes and kickback? If it was all about campaign financing, there would be no issue.

Unuh and the writer can claim suspicions with the JLP, what unuh fail fi see is that while unuh yet to provide any proof that the JLP was involved in bribes and kickback (Sickko, yuh waan try this week again?), there is hard evidence on the PNP.

Then again, unuh have always proven that unuh have a problem thinking, therefore addressing Trafigura wid unuh is a waste of time. Do like Balla .... nuh say nothing.
          ...and, the writer was not talking about monies being receivved by the political parties being monies for favours...aka bribes and kick-backs?

Wah mi tell unnuh? Lazie seh 'red herring'!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<H2 align=justify>Her Majesty’s Revenues</H2><HR>

By David P Rowe

Why did Colin Campbell resign? Colin Campbell did not violate any Jamaican laws. Colin Campbell might have violated internal PNP rules, and if he did this should have been a private matter between him and his chosen party and not a public matter. He committed no parliamentary transgression.

The post-Seaga JLP has certainly solicited foreign campaign contributions and has accepted the same. How curious that a foreign contribution to a political party in Jamaica should be construed by the JLP as scandalous.

The JLP has always taught us the importance of maintaining a free non-regulated economy. When did legal foreign contributions to properly constituted statutory bodies to accounts held by banks in good standing become anathema?

The PSOJ and the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce suddenly forgot that several of their membership have regularly and quietly contributed protection money to ‘donmen’ thereby exacerbating Jamaica’s crime problem. Suddenly those who have cuddled and financed local gunmen are condemning peaceful foreign contributors who have a legitimate and continuing interest in Jamaica.

The real problem of course is that these verbally flatulent luncheon organisations consider themselves the ruling elite in Jamaica.

If Portia does not sellout openly to the local private sector interests, then their press organs will paint her as befuddled and out of place. As long as the Prime Minister defends the little man’s interests, the Observer will portray her as being distracted and unprepared. This is similar to the manner in which US Vice President Dick Cheney suggests that US Rep. Charles Rangell does not understand the US stock market. The tone of the Observer columnists is sneering and abusive.

Luckily we have the historical example of Dr Eric Williams turning off his hearing aid when Cabinet colleagues were making stupid remarks. The Prime Minister has the absolute right in Parliament to ignore silly and intemperate debate. If doodling will take her mind off legislative hot air then so be it.

I wonder if money, which should have been paid in departure tax to Her Majesty’s Revenue, was used to defray the costs of the last JLP Annual Conference? Treason may be committed both economically as well as conspiratorially. Many of those braying about Trafigura have committed treason in the recent past.

The fabled Big Boys who are behaving like schoolyard bullies are well advised to leave the Prime Minister alone and play a constructive role in nation building.

David P Rowe is a Professor of Law at the University of Miami School of Law and St Thomas University School of Law

Comment

Karl (11/5/2006)
              Lazie (11/5/2006)Mi curious, unuh slow or something? How much time mi tell unuh say it has nothing to do with campaign financing? Unuh nuh understand the implication ofbribes and kickback? If it was all about campaign financing, there would be no issue.

...and, the writer was not talking about monies being receivved by the political parties being monies for favours...aka bribes and kick-backs?

Wah mi tell unnuh? Lazie seh 'red herring'!

The fact that we today in the era of governance, internal controls and accountability are comparingthings to the greed generation of the 80's is quite sad.

Dennis Morrison need to do better.

Comment

What is red herring? CCOC mean CROOKED CORRUPT OLE COMRADES, no wonder all a unuh refuse to see what is wrong with the Trafigura affair. I can bet if it was the JLP unuh would seeit for what it is ... A BRIBE.

If nothing is wrong, why Conlin Campbell resign? Why Portia say give baack the money? Why Portia hiding from the Euro press?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So mi tink yuh did say is manage

Nanny P cyaan manage di wuk. Now yuh saying she hiding from the Euro press why she miss the appointment. What's next?

Comment

Stick to banned books Jawge.

Comment

Lazie, why can't we have a meaningful discussion? Is it

me or you, what's the problem?:P

Comment

If its not me, who yuh think it is then? Mi really try wid yuh, but yuh constantly change topic, diminishing the relevance of the discussion.

Comment

What is ironic is this 'yardie' is posting his puerile trash in exile.

"Why did Colin Campbell resign ?"

Why indeed.. something must stink to high heaven for a PNP politician in JA to actually resign..

Power is not something you quickly give up in PNP Country...

Comment

Ran into this guy at a Sunday lime.. seemed fairly intelligent, till the topic of problems in Jamaica arose.. his "Jamaica No Problem" stance was shocking at first.. then I detected the comrade smell..

This article leaves no room for doubt.

A lot of 'intelligent' Jamaicans walking around with a chip on their shoulder.."Better to rule in hell than serve in Heaven"

Better for who ? what about those serving in hell ?

Comment

Lazie I asked you a simple question and you can't seem

to give me a simple answer. Boss here is an article that is written from an objective standpoint.It states that what went on in the PNP was wrong, yet at the same time its asking if one is aware that the political parties garner campaign funds from corporate enitities. The article is asking what of the JLP, are they squeaky clean? The JLP seems to have a lot of money (even campaigning before the election is called) Where is all this money coming from? Now Lazie if this is beyond your scope let me know so I can ask a senior labourite (the seniors tend to be objective and will give honest answers at times). The junior labourite dem juss tink inna tunnel vision way and can't seem to see the big picture. Lazie tal;k to mi.

Comment

Working...
                              X