No announcement yet.

Ja falls short of berthing facilities Cruise ships forced to dock - elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ja falls short of berthing facilities Cruise ships forced to dock - elsewhere

Ja falls short of berthing facilities Cruise ships forced to dock - elsewhere
    published: Sunday | November 5, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Janet Silvera, Senior Tourism Writer

A view of the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">cruise </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">ship</SPAN>, 'Freedom of the Seas' which docked in <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Montego </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Bay</SPAN> earlier this year. - File

Western Bureau:

Jamaica's inadequate and substandard berthing facilities were high on the agenda of cruise officials at the just completed Florida <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Caribbean </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Cruise</SPAN> Association Conference in Grand Cayman.

The island has had to refuse approximately 200 calls from <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">cruise </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">liners</SPAN>, losing millions of dollars in revenue annually, as a result of insuff
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: Ja falls short of berthing facilities Cruise ships forced to dock - elsewhere

This some joke, but on who. It was not so long ago that them seh Lucea wont get the Cruise Pier, so how could they be short. I notice that St. Martin and St Kitts are shelling out some nice dough.

Lucea is the nearest deep water harbor to Negril, The current pier is 9 miles to Tryall golf &amp; Beach club, 8 miles to Chukka Horse stables and nature trails, less than 15 miles to Rhodes Hall stables, less than 12 miles to Mayfield Falls, passing Copper Falls at Mt Peace 4 miles, another 5 to Dry Hills Falls, Bustamante Home further up the hill, Dolphin Head MountainTour

In Lucea, Fort Charlotte complex(Rusea school &amp; Hospital), Hanover Museum, Lucea Parish Church, with the Jewish cemetery next door, Georgian architucture, somebody need to go and check out the histroy of JA and see how many prominent people come from deh.

Comment

RE: Ja falls short of berthing facilities Cruise ships forced to dock - elsewhere

and then them a talk bout tourism. Dem Pt.Antonio and depressed Annotto Bay and Pt.Maria could also do with a pier. You see this a the most important topic and nobody nuh tek it up.

The truth Jamaica have the wrong priorty. Use some a Whitehouse money and the highway 2000 money and bring in the foriegn exchange. You know how much Taxi men, tour guide and craftmen loose out?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (11/5/2006)and then them a talk bout tourism. Dem Pt.Antonio and depressed Annotto Bay and Pt.Maria could also do with a pier. You see this a the most important topic and nobody nuh tek it up.

The truth Jamaica have the wrong priorty. Use some a Whitehouse money and the highway 2000 money and bring in the foriegn exchange. You know how much Taxi men, tour guide and craftmen loose out?
        Why Whithouse money? ...just get the money to build two newpiers - Lucea and Port Antonio - and to expand those at Ocho Rios and Montego Bay.That would be investing. Profitable ventures!

If there are 1000+ventures that make sense and will realise profits, let each stand on its own - put the financing in place and just do it! No need to even think about moving funds from other sources. Again - Let each venture stand on its own!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl resources are scare. Money don't drop from the sky. If you take care of the profitable ones first then it will pay for the others.

That is what these government fail to understand. By the time them waste and rob, when it reach the real project none nuh left

Comment

I guess they do not pick it up as they don't have a slant to go with it:hehe:, I guess the facts that I put out they can't put a spin on it, matter of fact they do stay away from my post.

Comment

Seems to me that while resources are scare to do projects that mek sense, but when it comes to mismanaging and thiefing the funds it is in abundant supply.

Sell Jamaica to Lee Chin - at least he's Jamaican.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Assasin (11/5/2006)Karl resources are scare. Money don't drop from the sky. If you take care of the profitable ones first then it will pay for the others.

That is what these government fail to understand. By the time them waste and rob, when it reach the real project none nuh left
                Has nothing to do with resources. If the deal is one that is seen asviable venture...borrow the money! Cut deals with international lending institutions and do the job - make it work.

No need to dip in current available funds.Leverage the real property...or, whatever!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                X