• Show
Clear All

• Lawrence defends performance

Lawrence defends performance
    published: Friday | November 10, 2006

Lawrence defends performance
    published: Friday | November 10, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

A smiling Dr. Vincent Lawrence (right), former chairman of the Urban Development Corporation, enters Gordon House, to testify before the Public Accounts Committee of Parliament Tuesday. Beside him at left with hand across face is Alston Stewart, head of Nevalco, the firm Lawrence contracted as project manager. - Rudolph Brown/Chief Photographer </DIV>

Although I have not been directly invited by this committee to appear, I have accepted Mrs. Campbell's invitation to attend on behalf of the Urban Development Corporation and welcome the opportunity to be present because I believe that I can assist the committee to better understand the main aspects of the Sandals Whitehouse project.

These are firstly, the disparity between the initial projected cost of US$70 million and the eventual outturn of US$113 million; and secondly, the lessons that may be learnt from this experience as to how joint ventures of this nature between a public sector entity and a private entrepreneur may be structured so as to accommodate the legitimate requirements of both.

The documents which the Contractor General claims to have looked at also show very clearly that Jentech was one of the team of consultants inherited from Gorstew Limited. In fact, from the very first Sandals hotels in the 1980s Jentech has provided Engineering Consultancy Services to the Sandals Group. It has provided those services to Sandals Negril, Sandals Montego Bay, Sandals Antigua, Sandals Barbados, Sandals St. Kitts, Sandals St. Lucia and was also employed on the Beaches Negril project.

It was the same on the project Gorstew attempted to undertake at Whitehouse.

The second issue that I wish to address is the assumption that appears to underlie the Contractor General's report, namely, that the only way to achieve impartial and meritorious awards is by some process of public tender. He states that as CEO of the UDC, I must have been aware of the procurement rules established in 2001 and, therefore, the failure to select the consultants by public tender is evidence of impropriety and irregularity on my part.

This contention overlooks the fact that the procurement rules permit in appropriate cases authorisation for the use of direct contracting through 'negotiation or sole source processes'.

TO EXPLAIN LATER

The Contractor General has also complained that none of the consultancy contracts that exceeded $4 million or the appropriate amount in U.S. dollars had been submitted for approval by the National Contracts Commission.

At a later stage, I will explain why it was genuinely felt that in this particular case these approvals did not have to be sought.

Now to the general issues.

As chairman of the UDC, in 2000 I personally made representation to National Investment Bank of Jamaica (NIBJ) for them to participate in the project.

NIBJ agreed and the joint venture among Gorstew, UDC and NIBJ was born.

We (the proposed partners and consultants) started working together on the project in 2000, and a Heads of Agreement was finally executed in July 2001, among Gorstew, NIBJ and UDC.

This agreement included a requirement for a joint venture company to be incorporated, with the three parties as shareholders, to undertake the development. Ackendown Newtown Development Company Limited was thus incorporated also in July 2001.

The UDC certainly felt we were entering into a meaningful partnership.

Regrettably, while the expected standards were met,
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Lawrence defends performance

Assasin? Lazie? ...others?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Lawerence can say anything.

He is as incompetent as they come. How something fi cost 73 million cost 110? Let him explain.

Wasn't he the head of Air Jamaica after Butch Stewart? What was the results?

Karl this is Jamaica where people are not accountable for the mess they create.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Lawrence defends performance of Sandals Whitehouse project
        published: Sunday | November 12, 2006
        <DIV class=KonaBody>

Rudolph Brown/Chief Photographer
        Lester 'Mike' Henry, interim chairman of the Public Accounts Committee of Parliament, examining documents during Tuesday's sitting.

This is the second part of Dr. Vin Lawrence's statement to the Public Accounts Committee of Parliament on Tuesday. The first part was published Friday, November 10, in the Financial Gleaner.

The Forensic Audit Team identified the following costs incurred on the project (derived from the final account) as due to management deficits (at Conclusion-5):

<LI>Interest charges for late payments - US$1,007,308. <LI>Additional fees to extended contract US$2,162,042. <LI>Additional preliminaries due to extended contract period, including insurance - US$2,394,411. <LI>Sums expended to try and achieve earlier completion - US$1,800,000. <LI>Labour and material fluctuations - US$7,298,343. <LI>Cess on fees at ports, etc. US$145,514. <LI>Total- US$14,807,618.

The Forensic Audit Team has attributed these items to management deficits and I assume that this was done because they relate to issues arising from the implementation and management of the project in a general way.

However, they are not necessarily the fault of or caused by an act or omission of the Project Manager/Project Manager Representative (PM/PMR).

An analysis of these items indicates that they were on account of or otherwise related to delays on the project. The reasons for the delays which were confirmed by the Forensic Audit Team were: <LI>Lack of funding being in place to execute the project in a timely manner. At Exct. Sum. 3 of the Forensic Audit Team's report, we read: "The lack of funding for the project contributed to delays in effecting payments to the contractor and led to claims for interest on outstanding sums."

This area resulted in increased payments of US$1,007,308.

The inability of Ackendown Newtown Development Company Limited to effect payment promptly, was due to: the unavailability of funds from the shareholders; shareholders agreement not signed, hence loan could not be accessed; late transfer of the title for the property. <LI>Failure of some consultants to perform, leading to delays in the commencement of areas of work.

The Forensic Audit Team stated that designs were consistently late in coming: "On the overall, we are of the view that while the project was meant to be on a fast-track basis, most of the designs were not completed on time, resulting in claims for extension of time from the contractor, and cost overruns."

Some of the site meeting minutes (e.g. June 6, 2002; July 4, 2002; July 25, 2002; October 31, 2002) will show that the PMR made complaints about the tardiness in delivery of designs. We must, however, recognise that in most cases, this tardiness was related to the delays in payment to the consultants for their services. It must also be recognised that most of the designs consultants, although engaged by the Owner, were selected by Gorstew and as implementation of the project unfolded, were effectively being directed/advised/instructed by Gorstew.

There was not much latitude in taking 'corrective' action such as termination. In any event, it was felt that termination would delay the project even further.

The fact is that Gorstew and its representatives relied very heavily on the Technical Services Agreement (TSA) and when disputes arose, the PM/PMR was often reminded of Gorstew's rights and entitlements under the TSA, Article 6.02: "Owner shall use its best efforts to implement Lessee-generated comments or modifications to all plans and specifications to the extent co

Comment

Assasin (11/10/2006)Lawerence can say anything.

He is as incompetent as they come. How something fi cost 73 million cost 110? Let him explain.

Wasn't he the head of Air Jamaica after Butch Stewart? What was the results?

Karl this is Jamaica where people are not accountable for the mess they create.
          All I am asking is truth! Your statement - "Lawerence can say anything" could also be turned onContractor-General Christie - "Christie can say anything"...

...but, a record of the factsshall speak truth!

Ihold no brief for either man!

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl2_lblFullMessage>Assasin? Lazie? ...others?</SPAN>

Comment

It is either waste or corruption and Vin Lawerence was in charge. If that was your house what would you say if it cost so much over what you were orginally told?

People like Vin Lawerence a waste Jamaica money, a him same one did go dig up the grass offa UDC field a Mobay and carry go stadium. All now the Mobay field can't done. You can spin but UDC under Larence has overrun too much projects and has his companies somehow getting contracts along with Alton Stewart.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (11/12/2006)It is either waste or corruption and Vin Lawerence was in charge. If that was your house what would you say if it cost so much over what you were orginally told?

People like Vin Lawerence a waste Jamaica money, a him same one did go dig up the grass offa UDC field a Mobay and carry go stadium. All now the Mobay field can't done. You can spin but UDC under Larence has overrun too much projects and has his companies somehow getting contracts along with Alton Stewart.
              So you have determined that the Contractor-General's report gave a true picture and Vin Lawrence's rebuttal is nonsense? How did you do arrive at that conclusion?

Not interested in 'gut feeling'...but, if that is what you have I'll accept your statement! ...I would, however,prefer cold hard facts and or logical reasoned presentation?!

Comment

This is unbelievable! Then again, I need to slap myself for expecting any better.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What is comical is someone trying to defend a 43 Million dollar overun on a 80 Million dollar project.

Only people like Karl would bother to read much less accept such an attempt.

In private industry he would probably be worrying about a law suit rather than trying to 'explain' what happened.

See.. what happened was that...

LOL !

Comment

Defense of the indefensible. I hope Jamaican people aren't this gullible. A 50% cost overrun on a project anywhere else would precipitate a resignation period. Unless we are dealing with a banana republic.

Comment

Rudi (11/13/2006)Defense of the indefensible. I hope Jamaican people aren't this gullible. A 50% cost overrun on a project anywhere else would precipitate a resignation period. Unless we are dealing with a banana republic.
                      A resignation?

Based on what has been said so far it would have had to be multiple resignations across the many entities involved. ...and, if my careful following of the facts as stated - Butch Stewart has serious questions to answer...

...and, the Contractor General must respond to Lawrence's claimsor if Lawrence's 'facts' are correct, the Contract General should explain if he deliberately lied to the Jamaican people or he is *<U>an inefficient manager in the vein ofwhat he hasgiven as Lawrence's managing prowess!</U>

*i.e. If the Contractor General missed Lawrence's stated defense, &amp; that defense was correct, then it must have been, to put a good face on it, inefficiency on the part of the Contractor Generalboth as a worker in his own right and as a manager of those under his employ who he directed and trusted to present the 'facts' to him.

Comment

With respect you have missed the point. Butch Stewart as CEO of a private company has to answer to his shareholders. The Jamaican people are owners of UDC an entitiy plagued by cost overruns and incestuous dealings with regard to contracts which couldn't pass the smell test anywhere else. Think Haliburton? The difference is a country that cant adequately compensate teachers, policemen, firemen, fund education or equip hospitals cannot afford this type of corruption to ensure that the old boys get paid. This is obscene.

Comment

I don't think you understand what 'Black Man Time' is about.

Are you saying you don't think 'Black Man' should also be able to play Haliburton ?

Why should 'Black Man' be exempted from the game just because Teachah and Policeman haffi get pay ?

Teacha and Soldjah lucky dem have a job in di fuss place.. yuh nevah hear bout MOU ?

Pay 100 man 1/2 the salary instead of 50 man full salary.

What di oddah 50 man gwine duh ?

Yuh tink is everybody can run Taxi route or sell phone card ?

Comment

Rudi (11/13/2006)With respect you have missed the point. Butch Stewart as CEO of a private company has to answer to his shareholders. The Jamaican people are owners of UDC an entitiy plagued by cost overruns and incestuous dealings with regard to contracts which couldn't pass the smell test anywhere else. Think Haliburton? The difference is a country that cant adequately compensate teachers, policemen, firemen, fund education or equip hospitals cannot afford this type of corruption to ensure that the old boys get paid. This is obscene.
                            Have not missed a thing. That there are incestuous relationships in business transaction in Jamaica is a given. It is entrenched. ...and, there are two ways to look at it - SIZE:a) the number of business entities that supply any one service type and, b)the size of the island as in all business persons being 'connected'...and, being connected to often both political parties and, the history of the doling out of government 'wuk'. This latter I have personal experiences of ...gained when I worked with the schools -assistant principal of Success in Hanover...and, things I learned from friends who were in positions of influence at the Parish Council levels...and, while a director of printing establishment.

The matter I am referring to is Lawerence's supposedly factual rebuttal to Christie's claims. It matters not who each represents - both presented their facts. It matters not emotional 'feelings', comments or what-nots. All I am interested in is truth of each man's utterances. If Christie is correct and Lawrence is who Christie says he is - Then that is it! If Lawrence's facts hold water than that is it! Not interested in all the screaming - just the true facts! Both men cannot be right here? One is lying! ...and, whoever is lying is a scamp! Rascal! In my father'sand mother's termsone is worthless!

Comment

Again you have missed everything. I challenge you to name one project ONE that the government has been involved in that has come in within 10% of budget. You talk about facts save that for people succeptible to spinning. If you read Lawrence's defense it boils down to underestimating of costs and the timeliness of funding of payments. But guess what? all the contractors got paid, the same contractors who are essentially one and the same as Lawrence and friends, spin that. So guess who foots that bill: a country called Jamaica. The fact that cost overruns are almost a badge of honour with a government that invariably requires the Jamaican people to foot the bill for their corruption and or incompetence seems lost on you. Name one contractor or gorvernment official that has everpaid an economic price for the perpetual cost overruns. Let's have that FACT.

Comment

Working...
                              X