RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaica back of Carib pack in human development - Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts heads above rest - Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica back of Carib pack in human development - Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts heads above rest - Study

Jamaica back of Carib pack in human development - Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts heads above rest - Study
    published: Friday | November 10, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

<SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> trails all but one Caribbean nation in the Human Development Index (HDI) 2006 report released yesterday, registering an unflattering 104th in the 177-country &#100;ocument. The only Caribbean country which ranked below Jamaica was Haiti (154), still grappling with the triple scourge of widespread violence and social upheaval, poverty and illiteracy.

The report, which rates not only per-capita income, but also <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">educational</SPAN> levels, health care and life expectancy in measuring general standards of living, ranked Norway, Iceland, <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: orange 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Australia</SPAN>, Ireland and Sweden as the best five countries to live in.

The United States was ranked eighth, after Canada and Japan. <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: orange 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Switzerland</SPAN> and The Netherlands round out the top 10. Africa monopolises the bottom 23 places.

Economic dynamo, Barbados, was rated the 31st best place to reside, the top-rated nation in the Caribbean and Latin America. Communist Cuba ranked No. 50, followed by St. Kitts and Nevis and Bahamas, respectively.

Trinidad and Tobago (57) and Antigua
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: Jamaica back of Carib pack in human development - Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts heads above rest - Study

A time some a we forumites stop talk on emotions and start talking on facts and statistics.

While unnu a fool unnu self the world is not.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

RE: Jamaica back of Carib pack in human development - Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts heads above rest - Study

From morning the loyalist dem a tip toe round it. I wonder why? As mi bredren Balla would say, nuh believe wha yuh read.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Oh my, Tip toeing throught the tulips. Lazie, empowering your people is the strong point of the SINGAPORE strenght,how I long to revisit Singapore, I must invite Ben Jamin along, a weh him deh douh.

Anyhow Lazie, I see you agree with sass, I am waiting for the mighty Jawge, TDowl to unite JaKans, what a lala,

Comment

Some of us are beholden to certain political parties and have lost our impartiality long time ago. Those bastards who run Jamaica are only concerned with power, than healthcare, education and economic growth. This situation is made worse where the overwhelming majority of the people are low-level literates, and they are incapable of seeing beyond the hocus pocus rhetoric of the political elite.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Unite Jamaicans? Yuh think is disunity is our problem? I think it is more lack of education and lack of leadership that has sunk us to this level. Think back and recall how many jokers called our decline progress. Ask Balla what was the last campaign slogan fi the PNP? How many jokers round here talk bout viable alternative? When people nuh know the issues, dem chat anything.

Mi notice that now the light tun on ... all the roaches scatter.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

"I think it is more lack of education and lack of leadership that has sunk us to this level" I think yu are testing me yu nuh, you will be surprise to know that I totally agree with the statement in the quote, but yu surprise me to think I differ or am I lost on that. I can understand that as i display too much serious mood on this forum.

I am not sure if I should list having the "WILL" too which defines the top leaders(Exclude Runs field here), but I will run wid de two.

Comment

I don't think it is so much lack of education but instead our ability to fall in line.

Nuff a the big druggist and gunman them have some form of good education. If you see some a the mule them that them catch. The fact that we don't think in line of improvement and our system don't encourage it. Imagine most credit card a the US a 10-16% interest rate and we can't pay it back so imagine small businessman who a borrow at 25% or higher?

Some business paying a tax rate of 50% on profit while other companies in the same industry pay little or nothing, depends if them like you.

At that rate why should I as a yard man invest or why not try to skip the tax man and don't put nuh money inna the government coffer?

Comment

Jawge can chat him bag a crap all day.. him Govt not even covering the basics much less compete with Chile fi IT jobs.

Him need to get him Govt to get up to speed with the rest of the Caribbean first before him run fi report on where India looking to partner.

How a man dat inBabylon suh long can chat so much **** is amazing to me.. di man up inna Brandon Hill since him born.. yuh can si wid him.. but when yuh hescape and reach First World Country anddeh suh longand still ah talk rubbish.. well... dem need to write off.

Comment

Mi cyaan believe mi eyes. Di comrade dem a keep far from this one. What? Portia got unuh tongue / fingers? Di one Deacon Thwaites address everything else in the paper except this, it look like unuh a follow Portia's lead.

"We going down down down down in quicksand!" (Abdel Wright). Pity unuh see it as progress.

Comment

"Di comrade dem a keep far from this one" Just as how you keep far from the "cruise ship story:P, and don't even pay dog mind bout the TIMBUKTU stories, then yu go about the place bout Dancehall people need to get back kulcharal. Hi Glass house.

Lazie is where:hehe:

Comment

Lazie, is there any corelation between illiteracy and education?

Both you and Ben are clowns. I am busy so I won't have much time to answer the hand waving from ben and yourself. I saw on CIN tonight (thank god for DVR) where a JLP dominated council members blocked the media from its meeting. The same JLP that was crying that the media should allowed in Gordon house (to record Nanny P's doodles). Politicking that's all, a big joke. I even saw Audley with is "pepper" talk. I will move this one over to a DVD. Boss mi dun wid unnuh an politics cause mi see dat unnuh nuh waan nuh progress fi JA. Why is it that Ja cannot progress unless JLP is running the govt? Ben told me that the PNP is skilled at winning an election; if you can't outsmart the man to win how are you going to run the country better? Joke ting. bunch of clowns. OH Ja is at the bottom so we should put the JLP in and we will be right up there with the US. Ben asked me a dumb question which I refused to answer: Ben after the 80 election wasn't Ja flooded with aid? cho dats all unnuh setting up Ja for: not to be independent but to continue looking all kinds of aid. USE YUH DAMN brain and you will reap great rewards in the info age.

Mi gone.

Comment

First thing first, you in no position fi call nobody clown. Not in this lifetime, not even the next. Again, just look in the mirror. The St. Catherine PC was criticised by yours truely for locking out the media, so yuh at least get that right.

I've said over and over again, you are a big hypocrite. All the statistical data PROVES that your religious leaders are focking up but you being the clown you are, still see the need for them to remain in power. How unuh so fool fool?

Why is it that Ja cannot progress unless JLP is running the govt?

Better managers...? I don't know. The PNP simply don't have a clue ..? Wha kinda a bulls h i t question is that? All you need to see is that everytime unuh mek the idiots run the country dem wreak it. I don't give a flying fock if the JLP got aid or not. You a talk as if this set a idiots nuh get aid to? At the end of the day our economy thrive more under a JLP gov't. Irrespective of how the spin bowler Balla waan spin it FACTS ARE FACTS. Mi notice him dodging the UN HDI stats to.

Unuh nuh shame? Unuh sit back because of misplaced loyalty and mek unuh comrades wreak the country. From Manley to the Poppyshow Portia. Now even Guyana has surpassed us. Logon to progress. Run back into hiding. There you go again with that hypocritical line bout info age. If you were making use of it, you'd stop acting like a clown.

Comment

Working...
                          X