Islandman, if you can, please explain the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islandman, if you can, please explain the

evils of Earmarks fi mi nuh? Apparently my understanding of it is incorrect.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

There are good earmarks, and there are bad earmarks. Earmarks to repair roads & bridges, and to maintain subways are great. Earmarks for obesity studies are a waste of taxpayers money. In the current FY 2009 Omnibus bill passed by the Senate last night, 40% of the earmarks came from Republicans & 60% from the Democrats.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      There are good earmarks, and there are bad earmarks. Earmarks to repair roads & bridges, and to maintain subways are great. Earmarks for obesity studies are a waste of taxpayers money. In the current FY 2009 Omnibus bill passed by the Senate last night, 40% of the earmarks came from Republicans & 60% from the Democrats.
      Okay! California got some money within that bill for tatoo removal and the halfwit that based his entire presidential campaign on earmarks created a fuss about it. Watching Gangland on History Channel I realized the severe problem with gangs in that state. Now removing the tatoos seems to be a good idea as far as I can see. Spending taxpayers' money for the benefit of taxpayers should be no problem.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I don't think earmarks are necessarily evil, but it has been used as a convenient way to add pork barrell spending to the budget and so the word has been tainted and become a political term.

The evil is not "earmarks" the evil is "pork". There is pork in the stimulus bill, and there is pork in the budget.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          I don't think earmarks are necessarily evil, but it has been used as a convenient way to add pork barrell spending to the budget and so the word has been tainted and become a political term.

The evil is not "earmarks" the evil is "pork". There is pork in the stimulus bill, and there is pork in the budget.
          The only problem with some earmarks is 'the project is unworthy'. That being unworthy usually has some connection to direct benefit for the politician i.e. corrupt practise.

I can remember one such where the politician first bought lands for peanuts, then got the earmark to put in roads and utilities, then sold for a fortune!

It has been said many of these earmarks show similar type connections or others whereby the entity or corporation that gained the contracts to 'carry out' the projects point to what is now termed in JA as 'generic connections'.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Earmarks are added to every appropriation, and Obama's so-called proposals will have little impact. Republicans & Democrats support and add earmarks to EVERY appropriation bills.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Wait deh,

Yuh a Rasta?

Yuh think pork evil...no problem, rename it Trenton and everything criss.

Comment

Whats the difference between what you descibe and what I call pork?
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

or "dat ting dere"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Whats the difference between what you descibe and what I call pork?
                    I do not see a difference. I see agreement and some amplification.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Heh heh. Me figet that one when we was discussing Pluto the other day.

That was some clever writing.

"Guidance me bredren, is wha you have inna dat deh bag?"

Comment

suh wait deh... yuh mean nuh rasta nuh live a trenton...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Well the motto of the city Trention is : "Trenton makes, the world takes" so yes, I am sure many rastas live there...As evidence, there is the story of the Rasta on the bus who had a bee "pitch" on his hair. When a fellow passenger swatted away the bee, the Rasta turned to him and asked what he did. After the explanation, the Rasta told him to 'low the bee'. "Everything unno see Rasta wid unno want tek weh!"

Comment

Working...
                          X