• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival prejudice?

Carnival prejudice?

Published: Tuesday | March 17, 2009

The Editor, Sir:
    I was made to feel like a second-rate citizen several weeks ago when I attended the opening of Bacchanal Fridays at Mas Camp. I'm a dark-skinned Jamaican and the class prejudice in our society raised its ugly head in an unforgettable way.
    I was purchasing a [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]costume [COLOR=orange! important]for[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] the upcoming road march and was greeted with the most discreet, yet pungent form of classism. The attendant, who was selling costumes for one of the most popular groups in Bacchanal Carnival, informed me that I could not purchase the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]costume[/COLOR][/COLOR] if I had not 'jumped' with the group before. Shocked, I demanded that she sold me the costume as that was the one I liked and it was still available.
    What this young lady was actually doing was handpicking who joins their clique, based on social status and appearance. Just look at who comprises the various groups each year, especially one group in particular.
    Victim
    The dichotomy between upper St Andrew light-skinned Jamaicans and the average, and might I add majority, dark-skinned Jamaicans is a well-known secret of our society. But, to be a victim of it is quite something else.
    I was under the impression that carnival was about uniting and having fun, similar to a [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]reggae[/COLOR][/COLOR] festival.
    I am a lover of reggae, but I am a soca fanatic and cannot wait for carnival each year. One of the most exciting things is to choose the costume then parade in it on the streets. Sadly, my experience at Mas Camp has me reassessing my annual Easter festivity.
    I am, etc.,
    JC
    Kingston 10

hope this nuh true it would be a shame

Comment

JA Carnival

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
      This certainly differs from T&T Carnival, I wonder if she would qualify for the Blue Devils LOL, even that guy Hart band has color.

John Canoe was played by the very poor back in the days, matter of fact it may have been a class thing that put an end to that, what a thing.

Comment

Did they also Ban Brazil Carnival on TV or it is not shown in Jamaica?

Comment

Welcome to Jamaica!

Another reason to ban Carnival from our shores!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Class is Class...

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Welcome to Jamaica!

Another reason to ban Carnival from our shores!
              so thats whysome dancehall peple ah fight soca then ?

Comment

what rhymes with that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                  But mi hear seh it worse in Trinidad. Dem all have barracade round dem party and if yuh not of the right hue you don't stand a chance of liming

Comment

JC...yuh brute yuh!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Jermaine ?

Comment

Bat ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                          But mi hear seh it worse in Trinidad. Dem all have barracade round dem party and if yuh not of the right hue you don't stand a chance of liming
                          dis how it go in trinidad once you pay fuh the costume you in the band yuh play mas ... once yuh eh pay you cyar join the people band no revellers period

Comment

Nonsense! First, how do you know that this story is true?
                            There has been a trend even recently in TT for bands to 'select' the leaner younger women for some sections....to the outrage of the fuller women. Of course some bands will have mostly what is described in Ja as 'mampies'....sm bands have the lighter skins, some have the urban black intellectuals and some the young people....
                            Don't know where you'd fit in....

Comment

Working...
                            X