Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rae Town faces the music

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead3.html

The law is being a shackle and an ass! Low di people dem and dem tings!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead3.html

The law is being a shackle and an ass! Low di people dem and dem tings!
    Low all sessions to play throughout the night. Bout noise abatement act. People a come from all over di world fi go dance and yet these idiots choose to cut off their nose to spite their face. Kiss Teet

Comment

Thwaites promises Rae Town facelift

Published: Tuesday | March 24, 2009

Sonia Mitchell, Gleaner Writer

A workman affixes a hinge to a new door for a shed in the Rae Town fishing village. - Photo by Sonia Mitchell
      The Central Kingston political directorate has sought to assure residents and business interests of Rae Town - the fishing village suffering from infrastructural and environmental rot - that an overhaul of the community is on the cards.
      Member of Parliament Ronald Thwaites said an accord had been reached - in conjunction with the Rae Town Fishermen's Coopera-tive and youth clubs - to renovate the fishing facilities. He said the facelift could help restore the coastline village to a hub of food, fun and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]music[/COLOR][/COLOR], thus boosting its community-tourism potential.
      "Digicel had (forged a) partnership with the Rae Town cooperative to help with the development of the community, and plans are under way to start from the Rae Town fishing village via Michael Manley Highway up to the General Penitentiary prison (Tower Street)."
      Residents have complained about deteriorating facilities at Rae Town. They have also cited a police clampdown on breaches of the Night Noise Abatement Act, which stipulates a 2 a.m. cut-off time for dances and music festivals - as a chokehold on income.
      Thwaites, who swept to power in the 2007 general election, had a prior foray in the constituency from 1997-2002. The MP, who conceded that the conditions were deplorable, told The Gleaner that the renovation of sheds and toilet facilities was part of the refurbishment drive.
      Under threat
      Thwaites said fishing - the mainstay industry for Rae Town - was under threat from pollution. He argued that the fish population in the area was in decline, attributing that to sewage and other debris dumped in feeder gullies from as far as Constant Spring in upper St Andrew.
      Thwaites said the industry had suffered a multimillion-dollar hit to potential earnings.
      The main remedy, he said, was "if we can divert the waste that is coming into the entrances of the harbour, which could result in a potential loss of $500 million in revenues to this industry, and cause the residents to be in a far more devastated state than they are now."
      Thwaites said the installation of a mesh barrier might be a temporary solution for preventing solid garbage from entering the gully and, in effect, the Kingston Harbour.
      Ann Morrison, caretaker and councillor for the Rae Town division, told The Gleaner that a portion of the Constituency Development Fund - a pool of $40 million - would be allocated to bolster community development. She, however, declined to crunch out the numbers.
      The Ministry of Agriculture has allocated $5 million for renovation of a new building for the fishermen's cooperative, The Gleaner has learnt. Repairs are currently under way on some of the sheds.
      Thwaites said plans have been drafted to give the Rae Town playing field a facelift and to install proper seating facilities for patrons.
      He also disclosed that he has forwarded a proposal to Minister of Education Andrew Holness for the defunct Machado cigarette factory, located at the intersection of Victoria Avenue and South Camp Road, into a secondary school to ease student overcrowding at schools in or near the community.
      sonia.mitchell@gleanerjm.com

Comment

Decadence by the sea

Published: Tuesday | March 24, 2009

Paul H. Williams, Gleaner Writer

Garbage strewn by the seaside in Rae Town is an eyesore and environmental hazard. - Photo by Paul Williams
        Picture life by the sea, the waves washing up on your doorsteps, and at night the cool sea breeze caressing your skin as you laze under the full moon.
        It's a private dream for many Jamaicans but for residents of Rae Town, the reality of gunk and garbage is a nightmare.
        Built on dumped land by a People's National Party (PNP) government led by Michael Manley, it was supposed to be a prime incoming-earning opportunity for the Rae Town community. Sheds were built to house [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]equipment[/COLOR][/COLOR] and other personal belongings. A fishing cooperative was set up. The future looked bright.
        Fishing is still the major income earner but the seaside community is suffering from neglect. Life revolves around the polluted sea that provides food for the residents, and is a place where suffering is pronounced.
        Over time, the cooperative has collapsed, politics and garrison tribalism have stymied development, and the sheds became permanent residences. In some of the small adjoining compartments, babies were born. Abject poverty and decay are the only constants.
        Most of the sheds are now replete with giant cracks. The roofs leak; the interior needs paint. Some sheds are occupied by elderly men. The wrinkles in their faces tell a thousand tales of the sea. On the western side, things are looking up as some of the sheds have been recently refurbished and painted.
        Looking for food
        Beside the village is a gully that runs to the sea. Mosquito larvae flourish in the stink, brackish water. Seagulls and other marine [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]birds[/COLOR][/COLOR] fly about the decaying estuary looking for food.
        Nearby is the home of Herbert Asher, a long-time resident and a semi-retired fisherman. As he showed The Gleaner his shack, the green gully water started to rise, as it rained uptown. Asher lives under constant threat of being flooded out, just as the residents who live across the highway.
        Two public toilets are in the village; one doesn't function, and the other is reportedly occupied from time to time by homeless people. The village needs bathrooms, wash areas, better toilet facilities. Rae Town cries for help.
        paul.williams@gleanerjm.com

Comment

A wonder if the people them who a "mek the money" take any responsiblity to clean up their area? Or it nuh matter as long as sound system a play?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We are a peculiar bunch. We destroy and litter the very places where we live. And den wi cuss di guvament.

Okay, I guess I'm guilty of that too. My car is usually a mess because I can't throw stuff out my window, so it ends up in the car.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
              Under threat
              Thwaites said fishing - the mainstay industry for Rae Town - was under threat from pollution. He argued that the fish population in the area was in decline, attributing that to sewage and other debris dumped in feeder gullies from as far as Constant Spring in upper St Andrew.
              Thwaites said the industry had suffered a multimillion-dollar hit to potential earnings.
              The main remedy, he said, was "if we can divert the waste that is coming into the entrances of the harbour, which could result in a potential loss of $500 million in revenues to this industry, and cause the residents to be in a far more devastated state than they are now."
              It's a bigger problem than you could ever imagine.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                We are a peculiar bunch. We destroy and litter the very places where we live. And den wi cuss di guvament.

Okay, I guess I'm guilty of that too. My car is usually a mess because I can't throw stuff out my window, so it ends up in the car.
                Just keep a scandal bag in the car, put your garbage in it, and throw it out, when yuh get home. Easy enuf
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

You too are peculiar indeed Mosiah.

Jamaica is close to becoming lawless country. Some laws have no teeth.

The loud noise after hours must stop.

(Very few people would want to invest in a close to lawless country)
                  Last edited by HL; March 24, 2009, 03:04 PM.
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL they have pretty much stop loud noises in MOST places after some time. However these dances are commercial activity that generate some money for some of these people, just like the Jazz and Blues festival so in my opinion there need to be balancing act in certain venues and up to a reasonable time especially during school days.

The promoter and the community has to see to it that the place is spanking clean and not destroyed after these activities or else they don't get anymore license to keep anything.

Back inna the days when we rented school or community center we had to make sure it was clean the following day after a dance and ready to be used on Monday.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

There are way of doing things--so the the result is beneficial to all involved.

Your last sentence is a good example of that Assasin.

HL

Comment

Should Sumfest and Jazz and Blues Festival also stop the loud noises after hours?

Comment

As far as I know (about the Jazz and Blues festival) they are in compliance.

HL

Comment

how are they compliant?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I need to put you to work!

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X