To all music enthusiasts round here, is it fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all music enthusiasts round here, is it fair

to say, dem nuh mek music with such a vibe no more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEsS0RNf-cs
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"Disco" Isn't Dead.

"Disco" isn't dead.
    "Disco" has been re-named "Aerobics."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      to say, dem nuh mek music with such a vibe no more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEsS0RNf-cs
      I’m seeing this post for the first time. That Jackie Moore disco recording is really nice, and it brought back memories for me.

I agree with you that “music with such a vibe” is definitely not made anymore! The truth is that, while disco recordings tended to be sometimes musically monotonous, the level of musicmanship was generally excellent! The average disco recording often showed immense levels of creativity above the monotonous pounding of the bass drum, and it was clear that those studio guys and others were masters of their instruments!

My all-time favorite disco recording, by the way, was Thelma Houston’s version of the Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes song, “Don’t Leave Me This Way.”

Comment

i like fonda rae's "touch me (all night long)" and high fashion's "feelin lucky lately"

btw welcome back historian.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Thanks, Boss!

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          i like fonda rae's "touch me (all night long)" and high fashion's "feelin lucky lately"

btw welcome back historian.
          Thank you, Gamma.

I’d decided that maybe it would be sensible to take a break from the forum, and so I didn’t check what was going on here for a while.

Back in the late 1970s, many musicologists and music critics saw the disco era as a wasted period. If only they could have seen the future! Today, in the context of what often passes for music (neo-soul, hip hop, dancehall) people like me look back on the disco era, with all its excesses, with genuine fondness and nostalgia.

Whether or not we see the drums in disco recordings as painfully boring, repetitive and unimaginative (and I do), the fact is that the top layer of instruments often showed genuine creativity and imagination! (And thankfully the guitars, bass and keyboards showed some creativity, because the lyrics were often banal.)

Comment

When it come to Disco music I love it bigtime. I can't even think of a favorite. Donna summer songs were really great, songs like "hot suff" "Bad girls" and "last dance". The disco era was good and it created some wicked baseline in American music. Nuff of the studio Musicians never got fame but a few of them formed their own bands like "Mtume" with James Mtume, and the bredda them that did "Good times" can't remember the name now.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

nile rodgers

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yeah man thanks. The name slipped me. Nile played with a lot of the greats. Good Times a one of the wicked baseline that has been copied so many times.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

narada michael walden was another great producer!

Comment

Micheal Narada Walden has done a few songs himself. I think one was "I should have loved you". Bigtime producer.

Comment

I love these quotes!!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      When it come to Disco music I love it bigtime. I can't even think of a favorite. Donna summer songs were really great, songs like "hot suff" "Bad girls" and "last dance". The disco era was good and it created some wicked baseline in American music. Nuff of the studio Musicians never got fame but a few of them formed their own bands like "Mtume" with James Mtume, and the bredda them that did "Good times" can't remember the name now.
                      I share your love for disco music! Like you, it’s difficult to think of a real personal favorite. Yesterday I mentioned Thelma Houston’s “Don’t Leave Me This Way,” but looking at your Donna Summer list above, it struck me that there are many others which could rank among my favorites! Summer’s “Last Dance,” for example, has a wicked slow introduction which then moved into a disco rhythm. There was also a remake of a Lennon & McCartney song (I can’t recall the name now) that was among Summer’s big hits.

To top it all, Donna Summer could genuinely sing, as she had a superb voice!

Originally posted by Gamma
                      nile rodgers
                      Originally posted by Assasin
                      Yeah man thanks. The name slipped me. Nile played with a lot of the greats. Good Times a one of the wicked baseline that has been copied so many times.
                      Nile Rodgers is real big time, and thankfully he’s still active in music. In fact, aside from his production work, his knowledge is still sometimes utilized by music entertainment VH1 in their various music documentaries. I doubt, however, that Nile was responsible for the bass line on Chic’s massive disco hit, “Good Times.” Nile is a guitarist, and that outstanding, up front rhythm guitar riff was created and played by him. That has to be one of the most brilliant rhythm guitar riffs in the history of pop music!

The bass line was most likely created by Chic’s outstanding bass player and longtime Niles Rodgers’ colleague, Bernard Edwards. I used to pay close attention to Edwards’ work.

Originally posted by Gamma
                      narada michael walden was another great producer!
                      Narada Michael Walden, aside from being one of the most important record producers of the 1980s, is also a brilliant jazz drummer. I could tell, for example, the stuff he did with early Whitney Houston just by listening to his trademark big sound. Narada is absolutely brilliant in every musical sense of the word!

I first came across Narada Michael Walden when he was the drummer in a version of a band that I regard as probably the greatest of all times, John McLaughlin’s “Mahavishnu Orchestra.”

Thanks for the awesome memories, Assasin and Gamma!

Comment

thanks for the info historian. btw wasn't nile rodgers involved with robert plant in tht group frm the 80's called power station?

Comment

Not Sure

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          thanks for the info historian. btw wasn't nile rodgers involved with robert plant in tht group frm the 80's called power station?
                          I’m not sure, Gamma, as I know nothing whatsoever about that Robert Plant group. Was this the same Robert Plant who was lead singer for the 1960s super rock group, Led Zeppelin?

I want to emphasize once again the great body of work that Niles Rodgers’ has accomplished as a record producer and song writer. In my opinion, it’s difficult to exaggerate his importance, as his awesome output is there for people to see! He’s truly one of the greats!

Comment

robert palmer...my bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X