Americas Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americas Summit

My admiration of Barack Obama has gone thru the roof. I wonder how dumb the other American presidents feel now, knowing they could have done the same thing instead of perpetuate a Cold War wtih several nations that had no sound basis or justification. Not sure how many of them are smart enuff to know how dumb they have been.

But of course, the naysayers have raised their ugly, ignorant heads. It was disppointing to hear some commentators on CNN almost lament the loss of their arch-enemies, like, "Who are we gonna hate now!?"

Why should Obama dwell on whatever happened between Chavez and Bush? And even if there is animosity between administrations, who really believes there is animosity between nations, as in the people? Same with Cuba. US president after US president has perpetuated a failed and hypocritical policy towards Cuba, for no other reason but..."Duh!"

The ignorant CNN journalists also mocked Obama's pledge to deal with the Latin American countries on an equal footing and with respect. They can't seem to understand that even though the aid, if any, will be flowing in one direction, respect and equality does not have to be kicked to the curb.

Just happy Obama does not take his cues from these typical yankee journalists who just can't see beyond their star-spangled noses.

Now, I wonder what impact our own Orette Bruce Golding is having on this summit.

If the region, Jamaica in particular, comes out of this summit with two of the three things listed below, it would have been an enormous success:

1. Commitment from the USA to stem the flow of guns.
    2. Debt relief
    3. End of Cuban Embargo

BLACK LIVES MATTER

I hope Bruce is having some impact as I read somewhere he was the leader of the Caribbean crisis group, so that should give him a platform.

I don't know how much debt relief we can have as most of the debt is currently in private hands from the open market but I hope they can do something.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

1. Commitment from the USA to stem the flow of guns.
      Yuh nuh fi hold your breath on that. Guns will continue to flow into Jamaica, just like how dem guns a flow to Mexico. The assault weapons ban is up to Congress, and not the President, and there are not enough votes to pass it at this time. Cuba must convince the US Congress that it is time to lift the embargo. Obama has too much on his plate at this time to use any of his political mileage on the embargo or the assault weapons ban. Both need immediate attention now!
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Number 3 may be a nice to have, but cant be a Jam. priority!

Comment

Interrogation Methods

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          My admiration of Barack Obama has gone thru the roof.

Why should Obama dwell on whatever happened between Chavez and Bush? And even if there is animosity between administrations, who really believes there is animosity between nations, as in the people? Same with Cuba. US president after US president has perpetuated a failed and hypocritical policy towards Cuba, for no other reason but..."Duh!"
          I share your view about the difference Obama is making. Nevertheless, I can’t help thinking that his recent releasing to the public of the CIA’s clandestine interrogation tactics might be a major mistake on his part. Like some other people, I feel that some of those “illegal” terror tactics might have revealed important information necessary for America’s safety.

Scrap those interrogation tactics? Probably not a bad idea in the context of the USA’s international stance on moral issues and also on the principles outlined in the Geneva Convention.

Release details to the public? Bad idea, in my view, as there is nothing to be gained by releasing such actions to the public. Surely this will affect confidence and morale within the Central Intelligence Agency?

Comment

Good point Historian. I too disagree with Obama's interrogation stance. I believe that when you are dealing with people who are not afraid to die, or who sees it as an honor to die for a cause, then you have to turn to extreme methods to glean valuable information. It is naive to think that a terrorist is going to give up pertinent information just because you asked nicely. Sometimes a big toe or a pinkie finger fe get cut off!
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Not at all, and it was not a mistake. The torture techniques were well known to the world, and former prisoners provided a lot of detail to news organizations. Also, the lawsuits would have eventually forced the administration's hand to release the memos.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                I share your view about the difference Obama is making. Nevertheless, I can’t help thinking that his recent releasing to the public of the CIA’s clandestine interrogation tactics might be a major mistake on his part. Like some other people, I feel that some of those “illegal” terror tactics might have revealed important information necessary for America’s safety.

Scrap those interrogation tactics? Probably not a bad idea in the context of the USA’s international stance on moral issues and also on the principles outlined in the Geneva Convention.

Release details to the public? Bad idea, in my view, as there is nothing to be gained by releasing such actions to the public. Surely this will affect confidence and morale within the Central Intelligence Agency?
                Scrapping torture (which you euphemistically refer to as interrogation tactics) is "probably" not a bad idea??

Also... governments which are perpetually allowed to operate in total secrecy (well after operations are conducted) will invariably act in corrupt ways.. all in the name of the taxpaying citizens.

People have a right to know what is conducted in their name and with their money.... although some prefer ignorance and trust in government goodwill.

Keeping CIA morale high should not be the only or even the main consideration.
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                X