• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History - Island Records and Chris Blackwell

(Source: The Sunday Observer newspaper)

Island Records: 50 years and still going strong

DIANE ABBOTT
    Sunday, April 19, 2009

THIS year is the 50th anniversary of Island Records. The company was Britain's biggest and most influential independent record company. And it was founded by a Jamaican, Chris Blackwell.

DIANE ABBOTT

Island Records began in Jamaica. The label's very first release was entitled Lance Hayward at the Half Moon and featured a Bermudian jazz group that Blackwell had come across while running a water-skiing school at his cousin's property, the Half Moon. The next year he opened an office in Kingston. Within two years he had released 26 singles. When Blackwell realised how well his records were selling amongst the Jamaican community in England, he moved the company's headquarters to London. In London, Blackwell personally promoted his music. He would haul copies of his new releases to record shops catering to the black community in the back of his Mini Cooper. Chris Blackwell is a descendant of the very top levels of white Jamaican society. But it is one of the paradoxes of the Island Records story: he made his fortune selling records to the poorest of black Jamaicans exiled in London.

In 1963, Blackwell hit the jackpot with Millie Small and her record My Boy Lollipop. I was a child then but I clearly remember when the record came out. It caused a sensation. Caribbean music up until then had meant relatively sedate calypsos. It was my parents' music. The infectious Millie Small was targeted at the pop generation. She was to sell six million records worldwide.

Island also diversified into pop music and signed some of the biggest rock bands of the era including, Stevie Windwood; Free; Emerson Lake & Palmer; Mott The Hoople; Jethro Tull; Cat Stevens, and Robert Palmer. Island also entered the British folk rock genre with a roster including Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson and Nick Drake.

But the artiste with whom Island Records will always be associated is Bob Marley and the Wailers. Island has gone on to sign other exciting artistes like Roxy Music, Grace Jones and the controversial Amy Winehouse. But Bob Marley towers above them all, not just because of the many millions that he made for Chris Blackwell, but for his profound cultural influence.

BLACKWELL... considered a musical icon

The 50th anniversary of Island will be marked here in London with a series of concerts at the end of May. The first concert features Paul Weller - star of eighties bands the Jam and the Style Council - the Jamaican jazz guitarist Ernest Ranglin and the progressive rock legends Spooky Tooth. At another, Cat Stevens, the singer-songwriter now known as Yusuf, will be joined by Senegal's Baaba Maal. On the closing night, the label's biggest contemporary star, Amy Winehouse, will perform after a set from reggae giants Toots & the Maytals.

But perhaps Island's lasting legacy is not its music. Chris Blackwell may have come from grand white Jamaican stock, but he made his fortune with no capital to begin with; just a belief in Jamaican talent and a willingness to hustle. Fifty years later it is still a relevant model.

interesting story BUT i have a little difficut accepting this Chris Blackwell may have come from grand white Jamaican stock, but he made his fortune with no capital to begin with

maybe butch stewart....but blackwell....i dunno. blanche blackwell had a lot of influential friends at the very least.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

how can she forget U2
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

True....

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        how can she forget U2
        Diane Abbott is a politician (she’s a member of Britain’s House of Commons and a descendant of Jamaicans), not a music historian. So, maybe we should forgive her for her memory lapse here (LOL).

Comment

I'd say both of them had influential contacts. It is not possible to come from "grand white Jamaican stock" and not have that.

Technically you could also say that Joey Issa made his current fortune with no capital after his father cut him off, but...the name Issa still meant a lot.

Nontheless, Blackwell does seem to have had a great ear for talent.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Diane Abbott is a politician (she’s a member of Britain’s House of Commons and a descendant of Jamaicans), not a music historian. So, maybe we should forgive her for her memory lapse here (LOL).
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

When did his father cut him off?

Comment

Maybe 5 or so years ago when he got engaged and later married a girl that was "unacceptable" to the family.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

re:joey issa...that was true. remember he left super clubs and bought the cool oasis

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X