• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian arrivals continue growth

Jamaica celebrates fifth year of Canadian tourist growth

Published: Sunday | April 19, 2009

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer
    Visiting from Canada, this father-and-son trio, (from left) Howard Pitch, Geoffrey and William, prepares to enjoy fireworks at the Iberostar Resort in Rose Hall, Montego Bay, last year. - File
    WESTERN BUREAU:
    DESPITE THE current economic challenges afflicting the global travel and tourism industry, Canada continues to outpace Jamaica's other source markets, except the United States (US), solidifying double-digit growth for the island's number-one foreign exchange earner - tourism.

Tourist arrivals from the North American country at the end of February were at a 23 per cent increase over 2008. Preliminary figures show March even more bullish, confirming Canada in second-place ranking as the most important tourism market for Jamaica.
    Canadian visitors from Saskat-chewan led the increase with 63.8 per cent growth, followed by a dramatic 89.6 per cent growth in visitors from Newfoundland. There was also an increase in visitors from Western Canada, with 32.7 per cent growth in British Columbia and 29.7 per cent growth in Alberta.

Ontario and Quebec continue to make up the majority of visitors to Jamaica, and each grew steadily with an 18.1 per cent and a 35.9 per cent increase, respectively, a Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) press release reported.
    23.9 per cent increase

Hofer
    The record numbers come at a time when Jamaica is celebrating its fifth straight year of growth in visitor arrivals from Canada, with a 23 per cent increase in 2008 (45,543 more visitors than in 2007). This is a banner year in which tourism partners added more flights out of traditional key markets, including Toronto and Montreal - among them the launch of the first direct flight from Vancouver.

Tour operator partnerships, diligent efforts by the JTB and Jamaica Vacations are being credited for the current success, according to JTB's regional director in Canada, Sandra Scott.

"Support for our partners has allowed them to expand flights across Canada from Vancouver in the west to Halifax in the East," disclosed Scott in response to a number of questions posed by The Sunday Gleaner. "We have a team of JTB reps who visit as many travel agents as possible each year to spread the news on new hotels and attractions."
    According to her, Jamaica's profile has been elevated through numerous public relations efforts (such as bringing morning show Canada AM) to Jamaica for a week, supplemented by targeted advertising programmes to potential Canadians travellers.

This, Scott said, has resulted in an influx of visitors from places such as Alberta and British Colombia, complemented by the feeder provinces, Ontario and Quebec, which supply the majority of Canadian visitors to Jamaica.

More still expected
    And, although the industry may experience challenges in 2009 because of the economic outlook, Scott, in a media release in February, said she was still expecting to welcome many more Canadians to Jamaica for the first time or returning for another visit.

High on the list of preferences for the Canadian tourists is the all-inclusive package, research has shown.
    "The cost of airline travel makes it difficult for Canadians to travel without a package; however, many Canadians do enjoy villas and boutique hotels and tend to try and explore Jamaica as much as they can," explained Scott.

All-inclusive giants, such as Sandals Resorts Inter-national, and the newer kids on the block, RIU Resorts and Iberostar resorts, are big players in the Canadian market.
    "Canadian business has increased significantly over the last winter season. With the increase in airlift there has been a new wave of Canadian travellers," states Iberostar's managing director, Philipp Hofer.

Hofer said that of his three local resorts, the 366-room Iberostar Rose Hall Beach is the most popular among the Canadians, adding that "it is budget conscious while offering a range of activities, quality, and consistency for both adults and children".

In addition, the adults-only Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall which opened in January has shown excellent acceptance over the last months and has generated higher bookings than expected. The hotel chain, he said, is now rated number one and two in Montego Bay and number two in Jamaica by the Trip Advisor publication.
    Others reaping
    Jamaica is not the only country with bragging rights; the rest of the Caribbean is reaping from the buoyancy in the Canadian market. Tourist arrivals to the region steadily increased in 2008 from the previous year. With a total of nearly 2.5 million Canadian visitors, the Canadian tourism market accounted for an outstanding 14 per cent growth overall, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) reported.

"Canadians have been long-time supporters of the Caribbean and have nearly doubled their tourism numbers to the region since 2005," said Hugh Riley, interim secretary general of the CTO and co-chief executive officer for the Caribbean Tourism Development Company. "The latest statistics underscore the importance of Canada as one of the Caribbean region's top tourism markets."
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

why not highlight this too?

the record numbers come at a time when Jamaica is celebrating its fifth straight year of growth in visitor arrivals from Canada, with a 23 per cent increase in 2008 (45,543 more visitors than in 2007). This is a banner year in which tourism partners added more flights out of traditional key markets, including Toronto and Montreal - among them the launch of the first direct flight from Vancouver.

Tour operator partnerships, diligent efforts by the JTB and Jamaica Vacations are being credited for the current success, according to JTB's regional director in Canada, Sandra Scott.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      why not highlight this too?

the record numbers come at a time when Jamaica is celebrating its fifth straight year of growth in visitor arrivals from Canada, with a 23 per cent increase in 2008 (45,543 more visitors than in 2007). This is a banner year in which tourism partners added more flights out of traditional key markets, including Toronto and Montreal - among them the launch of the first direct flight from Vancouver.

I posted the article.... is that not enough for you?

Which aphorism do you prefer?

The gains of today are based on the work of yesterday.

or...

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Maybe these truths are not in accord with your political preferences... but they are truths nonetheless.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Jamaica should go after the Russians, and dem a travel extensively these days in Latin America. Russia is an big market that we should go afta.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

5 straight years of growth, huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well its the one thing that both parties have done a half decent job with...tourism. Even with all the crap flying around, tourism has remained off-limits to our various and sundry slacknesses.

Comment

Funny.. I thought we were supposed to stop living in the past ?

Yuh nuh tiad fi expose yuhself yute ?

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                Funny.. I thought we were supposed to stop living in the past ?

Yuh nuh tiad fi expose yuhself yute ?
                You are a really silly child. How do you define the past Rear Admiral?

Check the dateline of the article.

Comment

Sorry Don.

Good article, I will just leave it at that.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    have no problem with the article, just wonder why one line was highlighted.
                    what line in the article did I highlight?

Comment

Yuh love talk bout foundation and continuation and infrastructure.. When it come to the holes and the corruption and the waste yuh prefer to bury dat and claim people looking excuse.. Just a tad too convenient for my taste..

Exposed again. Why yuh nuh wear yuh colors proudly ? Embarassed ? Out of style ?

Stanup and ten yuh licks like karl and jawge !

Stap hide bout 'above it all'

LOL!

Comment

Yuh nevah used to guh platinum ?

From Russia with love !

Comment

Ix like I talk too fast. Now we have hijacker.

Sorry fi dat hijacker though. There will be no mercy.
                          Jamaica dont play dat!

Comment

I edited that but it didn't post.

my final word was sorry . Good article.

Comment

Depend on how Golding, Bartlett and crew handle this Jamaica could come out being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X