X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica: Gunman holds crew on passenger jet

Gunman holds crew on passenger jet in Jamaica

By Horace Helps Horace Helps 1 hr 43 mins ago
    KINGSTON (Reuters) – A gunman, described as "mentally challenged," was holding five crew members on a commercial jet in Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Monday after all passengers on the aircraft were released, authorities said.
    A Montego Bay police officer said a shot had been fired after the gunman, who had demanded to be flown to Cuba, breached security about 10 p.m. local time on Sunday (0300 GMT Monday) to force his way aboard the CanJet charter flight at Sangster International Airport.
    The officer said no one had been wounded.
    Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding and his national security minister, Dwight Nelson, arrived in Montego Bay early on Monday to take charge of the situation in the Caribbean nation's prime tourist resort, Information Minister Daryl Vaz told reporters.
    He said the suspect, believed to be armed with a handgun, was a Jamaican national about 20 years old and that his father was among those hoping to negotiate the release of the CanJet crew members.
    Vaz said the would-be hijacker seemed to suffer from "mental challenges," but he did not elaborate.
    "Originally, his demands were to be flown to Cuba because the flight actually was going to Cuba and then back to Halifax. That really was his demand," Vaz said in an interview with
    CNN.
    "Thank God, there are no injuries in terms of the passengers and that the hijacking is that of a mentally challenged youngster and not anything else that will be any cause of concern in terms of an international incident," Vaz added.
    CanJet said the incident aboard Flight 918, which carried 182 passengers and crew, occurred after it made a scheduled landing in the Caribbean tourist resort en route from Halifax, Nova Scotia.
    "All passengers have been safely removed from the aircraft, but CanJet crew and the armed man remain on board. Our understanding is that no harm has come to anyone remaining on board and ... there has been no damage to the aircraft," the company said in a statement on its website.
    "Our priority at this time is well-being of the passengers and crew who were involved in the incident," said the company, which operates a fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft.
    (Writing by Tom Brown; Editing by Peter Cooney)
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Thet say the hjacker is a 20 year old Jamaican man who is mentally unstable. This should be concerning. Is security that non-existent that a guy like this can get through security to get on the plane with a firearm to hold up people? What would be the situation if a group of mentally stable and well organized group decided to plan something like this?
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The incident raises a lot of questions about airport security.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Gunman captured

By HOWARD CAMPBELL, Associated Press Writer Howard Campbell, Associated Press Writer – 4 mins ago
        KINGSTON, Jamaica – Police say a gunman who hijacked a plane in Jamaica has been captured after an eight-hour standoff with police.
        Police spokeswoman Camille Tracey says authorities disarmed the young man whom authorities described as "mentally challenged."
        Authorities say the 20-year-old Jamaican forced his way past security check points and seized the CanJet Airlines plane late Sunday night. He quickly released all the passengers and two crew members, but six crew members were held at gunpoint hours longer.
        THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Comment

Its being reported that he surrendered. This just proves how tight security at the airport was.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Heh heh!

Mi phone nuh stop ring off from dis mawnin. My friends know that I work in Mobay these days and I drove up to the friendly city last night. However, I am not of unsound mind, so it couldn't be me!

And as for this chat about the man being of unsound mind, what does that matter? He should never have got as far as he did, sane or unsane.

Apparently, the man shoved away the first security officer that approached him and then brandished his gun at the next security checkpoint and then proceeded unto the plane. As simple as that!

In most civilised countries, heads would roll for this, but this is Jamaica. It's easier to get a loaded gun unto a plane but they quickly take away your toothpaste or a bottle of water!

According to a friend of mine who works with immigration at that airport, they had a meeting about this the other day and everyone knew that something like this could happen. Well it did! According to him, there are so many ways for security to be breached at the Mobay Airport.

Perhaps an incident like this will force the authorities to look at maintaining law and order throughout the entire city of Mobay. When one journeys back to Kingston and breathes a sigh of relief because one senses some adherence to the rule of law, den yuh know tings bad wid di place yuh coming fram!

It would be interesting to see how the cartoonists deal with this one.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So when it take 3 hours for me, my wife and two infant sons to go through the search line, what were they searching for? A hope it nuh tek 5 hours now.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well yuh right ... heads should roll on this.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

"Perhaps an incident like this will force the authorities to look at maintaining law and order throughout the entire city of Mobay. When one journeys back to Kingston and breathes a sigh of relief because one senses some adherence to the rule of law, den yuh know tings bad wid di place yuh coming fram!"

That says it all.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In most civilised countries, heads would roll for this, but this is Jamaica. It's easier to get a loaded gun unto a plane but they quickly take away your toothpaste or a bottle of water!
                    So true.

Sass, when them search you for 3 hours, is sumpen dem looking fi thief
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Heh heh!

Apparently, the man shoved away the first security officer that approached him and then brandished his gun at the next security checkpoint and then proceeded unto the plane. As simple as that!
                      Hearsay run the place.

Comment

Fi real, it gween to be dread checking in at Mobay now. It's going to be similar to flying in America immediately after 9-11.

Comment

No security is absolute!

The security actually did its job in one sense...the man had to brandish the gun before getting on the plane...before even the metal detector. If they engaged him in shootout then, bystander could have gotten him and what then?

This could hapeen at most small airports in the world, where the security screen is kinda close to the boarding gate. Cant happen in Heatrow, as you have a half hour walk after screening to the gate most times. LoL

The only improvement I can see is to run x-ray and detector before you enter the airport!

Comment

I thought it was that way already

Comment

Talk about lax security. I went to Dominica Republic last week, Puerta Plata, and I was amazed at how insecure the airport was. There was a simple ply-wood, which serves as a wall in the walk from the plane to the terminal. The security was very soft.
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X