X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive hole in budget

Cabinet to decide on tax package today

Wednesday, April 22, 2009
    The finance ministry still has a "massive hole" to fill in the 2009/2010 budget and up to this morning had yet to decide how it will plug the gap.
    Audley Shaw
    Government sources told the Business Observer yesterday that there is no plan to borrow and the focus will be on "widening the tax net".
    This, however, includes what the source described as examining the possibility of recouping taxes from consumer goods, pointing to adjustments to the general consumption tax (GCT). Although, based on the wording used by the source, it may involve eliminating items that are currently exempted from the tax and others classified as zero-rated.
    According to a reliable source, at one point a proposal to lower GCT while raising the income tax threshold significantly to allow for higher disposable income was on the table.
    The reasoning was that the loss from raising the bar on non-taxable income would be more than compensated by a reduction in GCT. Now government officials appear to be wavering and seem unwilling to risk any shortfall in revenue.
    At around 10:00 this morning, Cabinet members will convene a meeting to ultimately determine what tax package Finance Minister Audley Shaw will present in Parliament tomorrow.
    A number of options are currently on the table, but sources disclosed up to late yesterday evening that the final one would be chosen today.
    The package, which apparently will include a cess on gasoline, will closely follow the 2004 recommendations of the tax reform committee led by Joseph Matalon.
    But that report was made to be "revenue neutral", in that it catered to streamlining a complicated and inefficient tax system rather than increasing revenue.
    This year's budget, however, is $40 billion or eight per cent higher than actual expenditure the year before. That and waning tax collections have prompted the Government to opt for measures that would significantly increase intake.
    For the 11 months to February, revenue collections were only 10 per cent higher than the comparative period the year before, and now estimates place the gap between estimated expenditure and projected revenue, under the current scheme of things, as high as $20 billion.
    On the other hand, the Matalon Report had targeted increased revenues from broadening the base of GCT and increased SCT rates.
    The intention then was that gains in revenue would have been offset by eliminating education tax and HEART taxes while reducing the corporate tax rates.
    Last year, Shaw had presented a tax package that included increases to SCT on certain items, including cigarettes and imported automobiles.
    But 'base broadening', according to the Matalon Report, spoke to addressing "revenue productivity and the fairness of the GCT" by eliminating all non-export zero rates other than those required by international convention, together with a significant amount of the exemption list.
    Retailers and sellers of auto parts and accessories were estimated to be the largest beneficiaries of zero-rated items, receiving close to 60 per cent of the cost of revenue to the Government, while the recommendations made in 2004 suggested that the elimination of exemptions on utilities, construction and real estate, and transportation would yield considerable revenues.
    The overall plan in 2004 was to recoup $12 billion in revenue based on 2002 levels.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz..._IN_BUDGET.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

He knows how it's going to be filled, but he's not brave enuff to give us any hints right now.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Dere is a hole in di budget" ... a suh di song guh?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Dear Lizah, dear Lizah!

Comment

you got that right.

First they float raising the GCT and when the alarm bells went up they went for gas tax.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well cork it Audley Cork it
            Well Ram it Audley Ram it.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

wid wat shall i cork it, wid wat?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                you got that right.

First they float raising the GCT and when the alarm bells went up they went for gas tax.
                Is that true? Mike Henry haven't made any secrets about pushing for a "cess" on gasoline.

Comment

With the gas tax from your Escalade
                  Dear Mosiah, dear Mosiah!

One tankfull will do it
                  For sure, for sure

LoL

Comment

Well the fact is the have to come with a tax that majority people pay.

Business nah pay tax, 1/3 squatters, and them have fi try get investment inna time like now so investment and land tax out a the equation.

Them nuh have too much choice unless them a come with something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Well the fact is the have to come with a tax that majority people pay.

Business nah pay tax, 1/3 squatters, and them have fi try get investment inna time like now so investment and land tax out a the equation.

Them nuh have too much choice unless them a come with something new.
                      Well those that spoke of it publicly insisted that such a fund would only deal with road repairs, to come with a different reason now ... people may not buy it.

Comment

Govt needs to start up several Adopt-a-whatever programs and target it to the diaspora.

But first, such programs need to be properly developed, so they will be credible and focussed.

Tree plantings, skills centres, orphanages, historical site upgrading, public beach restorations, wetland preservations, cultural revampings like Ward Theatre, squatter normalization, court house restorations...whatever the passions are, Jamaica should have a fund for them. These activities, funded by diasporic contributions (every mickle mek a muckle) would also have an economic stimulatory effect.

Comment

well the large issue is transparency.....why should e.g. overseas jamaicans send money to the government to undertake a project when there is perceived to be a high degree of corruption within the government?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That a the lickkle thing them forget all the while.

Based on what I am reading the Constituency Development Fund has done some good. I recently wrote an email to the Office of the Prime Minister asking him for a list of project islandwide that has been completed and cost and which MP didn't draw down their funds but I haven't got a reply.

One of the thing that is needed is each MP publicly state viable projects and actually help do fund raising for each individual project. Wouldn't you contribute to water in your area? We need better acountability.

Comment

Road repairs get VOTES.

Comment

Working...
                              X