X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor-tia's lament - Says Budget ignores poverty

Poor-tia's lament - Says Budget ignores poverty

Published: Friday | April 24, 2009

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller has flayed Finance Minister Audley Shaw overhis 2009-2010 Budget Debate presentation.
    Simpson Miller told The Gleaner yesterday evening that her initial reaction to Shaw's presentation was one of disappointment.
    "There was nothing in the Budget for the poor and the under-privileged," she said. "I don't see the social safety net that the Government promised."
    Not enough
    She added: "The PATH pro-gramme which Mr Shaw talked about is inadequate and will not be enough to help the poor people." Simpson Miller said that while the increase in the income tax

threshold would help persons in the middle- income bracket, it would not be enough as these persons will face many increased costs because of the hike in the special consumption tax on petroleum products.
    "I warned them during the Standing Finance Committee meeting and this evening I am so sad and sorry for the poor," the opposition leader said.
    Simpson Miller was speaking with The Gleaner as members of the Opposition met at the People's National Party's Old Hope Road headquarters to begin their analysis of the finance minister's presentation. The Opposition will present its official response to Shaw when its spokesman on finance, Dr Omar Davies, makes his contribution to the Budget Debate next Tuesday.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead4.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

portia know about poor people shi love dem...shi love dem because dem poor if they weren't poor anymore, would she still love them?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

If the record of her party of making them even poorER is anything to judge by, I guess not!
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
      X