X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raul Castro dismisses Obama

Castro: Onus not on Cuba for US better relations

55 mins ago
    HAVANA – Raul Castro has dismissed Barack Obama's policy changes toward Cuba as "minimal" and says it is up to the U.S. — not Cuba — to do more to improve relations.
    The Obama administration recently allowed unlimited travel and money transfers for Americans with family in Cuba and eased restrictions on telecommunications.
    The Cuban president says the U.S. steps were, "fine, positive but only achieve the minimum. The embargo remains intact."
    Castro says that "it is not Cuba that has to make gestures. We've reiterated that we are ready to talk about everything."
    Raul's comments Wednesday before a ministerial meeting of the Nonaligned Movement echoed those of ailing older brother Fidel who said Obama did not go far enough.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

And I agree with him 100%. Obama needs to get rid of that silly embargo. That should the basis for further talks.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If them get rid of the embargo what is the need for talks?

I think the talks was to develop a better relationship.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Embargo should not hinge on talks. It is a wikkid act by the Yanks and they need to remove it intahme!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Never will until them start talking.

I can't say it never should have because these were enemies and with stuff like the Cuban Missile crisis show the level of distrust, however it should have long been removed. Cuba is no longer a threat ot America in any shape or form.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I disagree 100%. The Cuban people desperately need better relations with the USA. Both countries should get together and talk about all issues. The initial statement by Raul Castro was very good. I dont know if Fidel got to Raul and has caused him to revise his statement.

The Castros would have folks believe that all of Cuba's problems are caused by the embargo and by America. I disagree with that position entirely, even though I do not think the embargo is having its desired effect.

Truth is that the Castros are selfish totalitarians who care more about their regime and control than they care about the Cuban people. I believe that Fidel is afraid that if Cuba were to open up the Castros and their legacy would no longer be relevant to the Cuban people.

President Obama leads the only conciliatory US government the Castros and Cuba have ever encountered. In fact, most Americans favor his initial and long term objectives for normalized relations with Cuba. However, Mr Obama will not enjoy majority public support for ending the embargo without a full dialogue and some important progressive and reciprocal steps from Cuba. I agree with this position.

The Cuban people need not have an egomaniac and his totalitarian regime running their business and standing in the way, demogoguing and not taking full advantage of this once in 50 years opportunity.
            "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

You see who run tings? Fidel drape up him likkle bredda and tell him fe fall back in line.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yeah, well as one Cuban exile stated, the man in charge of Cuba is the bright eyed fellow wearing the adidas track suit. He remains in charge as long as his health is stable.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Raul needs to reciprocate and give America an incentive for lifting the embargo. Talking is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    And I agree with him 100%. Obama needs to get rid of that silly embargo. That should the basis for further talks.
                    That's true...but...

...to make Obama's job of selling a radical change in Cuba policy to these superficial Americans more politically palatable.. Cuba should give him a fig leaf/pretext.... by announcing some concessions in their policies.

I suspect that's what the Obama administration is looking for to move forward.
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
                      I disagree 100%. The Cuban people desperately need better relations with the USA. Both countries should get together and talk about all issues. The initial statement by Raul Castro was very good. I dont know if Fidel got to Raul and has caused him to revise his statement.

The Castros would have folks believe that all of Cuba's problems are caused by the embargo and by America. I disagree with that position entirely, even though I do not think the embargo is having its desired effect.

Truth is that the Castros are selfish totalitarians who care more about their regime and control than they care about the Cuban people. I believe that Fidel is afraid that if Cuba were to open up the Castros and their legacy would no longer be relevant to the Cuban people.

President Obama leads the only conciliatory US government the Castros and Cuba have ever encountered. In fact, most Americans favor his initial and long term objectives for normalized relations with Cuba. However, Mr Obama will not enjoy majority public support for ending the embargo without a full dialogue and some important progressive and reciprocal steps from Cuba. I agree with this position.

The Cuban people need not have an egomaniac and his totalitarian regime running their business and standing in the way, demogoguing and not taking full advantage of this once in 50 years opportunity.
                      The embargo is DEFINITELY NOT having its intended effect! It's been one of the biggest foreign policy failures in American history.

The embargo was intended to undermine and topple the Cuban revolution and the Castro regime within a few months of implementation! ... the fact that Fidel is now facing his 10th US president tells the story of abject policy failure...

The US Cuba policy is actually an embarrassment to the US among sensible people worldwide.. including their European and Canadian allies who have political and economic relations with Cuba.

This post of yours seems like it is coming straight from the right wing Republican playbook.

Pathetic.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Please do not mis-label me or mischaracterize what I am saying. I am not a fan of the embargo and I am not spewing right-wing republican stuff. Neither is President Obama. This is consistent with what the vast majority of americans want. I do not beleive in the foreign policy which Cuban Americans have foisted unto us for 50 years.

For the first time in 50 years a US president wants to constructively engage Cuba, work toward ending the embargo and normalizing relations. But he also wants human rights and self-determination for the Cuban people. Like a true dictator, Fidel wants to tell everyone else what to do but he wants to do nothing but keep telling the Cuban people stale things and keep them under his thumb. That dinosaur must be eliminatedor out aside for the good of the Cuban people. If Cuba does not seize this opportunity to work whith Pres Obama, a significant ooprtunity could be squandered and mihght not be available again for many years.
                        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Preach it sa. Preach it .

If Cuba want it then them go to the table ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            Preach it sa. Preach it .

If Cuba want it then them go to the table ASAP.
                            Spoken like a true fan of CNN, NBC, Fox etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
                              Please do not mis-label me or mischaracterize what I am saying. I am not a fan of the embargo and I am not spewing right-wing republican stuff. Neither is President Obama. This is consistent with what the vast majority of americans want. I do not beleive in the foreign policy which Cuban Americans have foisted unto us for 50 years.

For the first time in 50 years a US president wants to constructively engage Cuba, work toward ending the embargo and normalizing relations. But he also wants human rights and self-determination for the Cuban people. Like a true dictator, Fidel wants to tell everyone else what to do but he wants to do nothing but keep telling the Cuban people stale things and keep them under his thumb. That dinosaur must be eliminatedor out aside for the good of the Cuban people. If Cuba does not seize this opportunity to work whith Pres Obama, a significant ooprtunity could be squandered and mihght not be available again for many years.
                              No problem with your feelings on that.

However your original post was riddled with Cold War catch phrases favored by the radical right ... phrases which are now passe. Just like some on the official Cuban side spew silly propaganda.
                              I guess one can hold on to those anachronisms if one chooses.. you have a right to do so.

My main argument was to point out a flaw in your reasoning... you seem to believe the embargo was successful or particularly valuable... wrong on both counts.
                              It was an abject failure and counterproductive. It actually strenghened the Castro dictatorship even as it weakened Cuba.

Result: everybody lost, except Fidel... the longest sitting leader of the 20th century. That fact defines a failed and embarrassing US policy.

Obama knows he should change this bankrupt and failed policy and is waiting on a Cuban overture to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X