• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes in a time of technology

Taxes in a time of technology

BARBARA GLOUDON
    Friday, May 01, 2009

"IN MY DAYS", Old-Timer said, "When Budget read, wi listen fi hear what gone on pon saltfish, condense milk, kerosene oil, rum and tobacco. In dem days, yuh count money in hundred and thousand. Now is million, billion, trillion. Mi nuh sure a nutten no more, except - the only two things in life that certain is - death and taxes."

BARBARA GLOUDON
    Well, our Budget read and one thing very sure... it's tax time again and time for analyses and analysts talking, talking of deficits and debts and fiscal imaginings... a lot of talk, amounting to the same thing... hard time on the land.

Opposition and government alike are having their say, each seeing the glass from their own spectrum. "Half-full," one cries. "Half-empty," says the other. To the man in the street, while the "bigger heads" wrestle over the macro and the micro, justifying the increases and making yet more promises of better times to come, it is the little things which are adding up. So far, the society has been comparatively calm about the gas tax.

We knew that it was coming. It is here, and now we have to live with it. It would help, however, if we could just keep silly statements to a minimum.

Taxes in a time of technology
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

For 2008 NCB reported a profit of J$8.7 billion. Yet such institutions shouldn't be paying taxes for their computers? At times I wonder if people take a step back and think. As we hear taxes we all up in arms. When people buy dem car, dem nuh pay taxes? Did the buyer think twice before purchasing the car because of the taxes? Suh whats the big deal about the computer being taxed?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I wonder if they dont think that a car is a productivity tool as well?

Comment

I wonder if you would be feeling the same way had...never mind!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          I wonder if you would be feeling the same way had...never mind!
          Why not? I was astonished to know computers and telephones were not being taxed all along.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

In my view when Paulwell first let computer in without taxes it was a good move at the time as computer in Ja was not as common as it is today. That saying computers are used in so many industries and can be considered capital goods in many cases.

When I am in Ja I browse around one or two computer shops and the prices seems high to me so an effort must be made to seek cheaper computers that can provide the same services to lessen the effects of the cost.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yeah, I would.

Not everything the PNP ever di was wrong and not everything the JLP has done is right!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                For 2008 NCB reported a profit of J$8.7 billion. Yet such institutions shouldn't be paying taxes for their computers? At times I wonder if people take a step back and think. As we hear taxes we all up in arms. When people buy dem car, dem nuh pay taxes? Did the buyer think twice before purchasing the car because of the taxes? Suh whats the big deal about the computer being taxed?
                If one wishes to get taxes out of NCB... would computers be your optimal choice?

Keep it real Lazie.
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yes, you are more objective and fair. Lazie now...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                    If one wishes to get taxes out of NCB... would computers be your optimal choice?

Keep it real Lazie.
                    How many computers that organization is using? Think of the revenue missed when those computers were purchased? I recalled when the resort I worked decided to go fully computerized the amount of money spent to purchase the computers ... yet we (as a country) missed the revenues?

Comment

Why they appear expensive it's
                      because they are marked up by 300%. These computer can't evencompare with what's here given that computers change here every four months (giving a drop in price).

Yes paulwell did the right thing; by encouraging Jakans abroad to bring computers home. It's sad that for political reasons Paulwell was demonised by the local media. If you search on the net you will see where Paulwell negotiated deals with US. firms which translated in hundreds of jobs in the freeport area. Paulwell aslo setup technology certification schools in the freeport area (microsoft, Cisco et al)

Instaed of your party building on the above , they are putting measures in place to erode all the groundwork that was done. Ja is heading for some serious times the old sytle politics will not help. We are talking about national security here!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Yes, you are more objective and fair. Lazie now...
                        I'm not concerned about those who question my objectivity ... simply take a step back and consider reality fi a change Mosiah.

Comment

Seriously why don't just keep quiet?

Comment

Working...
                          X