• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting, Tami Chynn

Tami Chynn cuts ties with Universal
    Returns to the dancehall
    By Steven Jackson
    Friday, May 01, 2009
    Rising singer Tami Chynn is cutting ties with her 'pussyfooting' label SRC/ Universal leaving behind pop dreams and two albums unreleased in major markets.
    She'll quit pop and return to dancehall music, "the stuff that got her signed to a major in the first place", she told Splash.
    Tami Chynn Universal signed Chynn four years ago but effectively shelved her two albums releasing the first in Japan only.
    "I have been fighting to get this release for months," she added. "I am praying it comes through."
    Chynn expects to get a release but doesn't expect to get the right to buy back her albums. "It's like losing my babies," she told Splash. "So I will have to walk scotch free."
    Chynn was poised to precede Lady GaGa (Stefani Germanotta), a Universal labelmate, who in 2007 co-wrote three songs for Chynn's album alongside superstar Akon (Aliaune Thiam) including Silly Heartbreakers, Killa Love Song and Eyes on Me.
    "Whether it should have been me over GaGa and all that foolishness. I don't think so, I am Tami Chynn and will always be the first Tami Chynn," she added that GaGa, who is on Interscope/ Universal, has a larger reach than her SRC/Universal label.
    "A lot of people are wondering what happen to Tami Chynn and why she can't buss, but the truth is when you are working with a label that is not a well-oiled machine it is very hard to move because you need their help, money and support."
    Chynn's label released her single Frozen last year, she says the single received "no" promotion. Even so the song got to number three on the Hot Dance Club Play charts, a sublisting of Billboard's. To date the album awaits release. In the interim, GaGa released her debut gold- selling album which peaked at number one on Billboards Hot 100.
    "It took them nine months to release the video for Frozen and my label was pussyfooting around," she said. "People would never know the struggle that I went through in the last four years being signed to a major."
    Few record contracts guarantee the recording of an album and even fewer guarantee the release of that album. Futhermore, the label can bind the artiste for the contract term unless the artiste has a guaranteed release clause which allows an exit option if an album is not released according to music business journals. But Chynn isn't giving up on music and has begun writing new material.
    "What has happened now is that me and my label cannot see eye to eye, so I basically asked for a release so now I am trying to get back to the music that I love that got me signed in the first place," she said.
    Chynn claimed that her Chinese-black ethnicity hurt her in an industry where musical genres tend to be race defined. "My label made it very clear to me that they were not sure what to do with me because I was a seemingly white girl who was not white but also Chinese and Black," she said. "An (atypical) Jamaican girl is exactly what made them love me and exactly what made them not know what to do with me. That is why the first album was released in Japan only," she explained.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Good move! She fell off badly since signing!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

signing mash up nuff a them. You have to be careful before you sign these contract upfront and know the motive of the label.

Wish her good luck with her career.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In the words of super Cat "if a label can fire an artist, then why can't an artist fire a label".

Comment

I always wondered why I could not get her album to buy. Now I know why. I have been trying to get her (and her sister) album for at least two years now. I didn't realize I had to travel to Japan to get it. It is such a shame that our music does not require our artistes to produce an album.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Remember when you couldn't hear from Tanya Stephens?

Same thing happen to her. Universal was only releasing her album some places in Europe.

Comment

She aint neva gonna buss.

Comment

The truth is an artist like Tanya Stephens has little to offer a major label. Why release it worldwide when their is no interest in Tanya Stephens worldwide? Sound like bad business practice if yuh ask me.

Comment

Please don't sey dat cause me woulda vex. I thought 2 years ago she stood the best chance to be our female breakout reggae artiste in North America. Only to find out that the a ssholes at her record label did not know how to market her. it is something that p isses me off about Americans. They always want to put you in a box. I think Sean Paul went through the same hassle before he broke out, because he was too "brown" and did not fit the Jamaica reggae singer image.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

All her momentum has evaporated. It is a questionable whether she can mek the leap to become an international star.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Quality is quality. you can't take away her talent (songwriting) and her voice. All she needs is an outlet.

Comment

Yeah, she needs a label to market her music.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

HL will tell yuh dat she cyaan mek nuh money a Jamaica on a local label so any artiste wid sense will sign wid a big label.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Do you disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                              I thought 2 years ago she stood the best chance to be our female breakout reggae artiste in North America.
                              But when last yuh hear TAMI sing reggae/dancehall/calypso/soca (any damn ting wit a likkle Caribbean flavour)?

Comment

Working...
                              X