• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change I can believe in

100 new schools
    Gov't seeking financing to increase space at primary, secondary levels
    BY PATRICK FOSTER, Observer writer fosterp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, July 23, 2009
    GOVERNMENT will be seeking assistance from the International Finance Corporation (IFC) for the construction of 100 new schools over the next two years to increase space at both primary and secondary levels.

According to Minister of Education Andrew Holness, a team from the IFC - an arm of the World Bank - is scheduled to visit the island next week to discuss the application of a public/private partnership (PPP) under which the schools are expected to be constructed.

Holness did not say disclose the amount of money that was being sought to built the new schools, but told journalist at yesterday's post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House that it would cost about US$6 million to build each school, using traditional building methods. But he said while a special 'system building' method was being considered for the 100 schools, which could reduce unit costs by as much as 50 per cent.

Funding the construction of the schools using this approach, Holness said, would reduce the initial outlay to Government and provide the required school space in the short term.
    He added that a systems building method of construction would provide additional savings if the total number the schools were constructed en bloc.
    "The best thing about building out the infrastructure in the short term is that we will not have to contend with the problems [of space] for several decades," Holness told reporters.

The minister said that 20 per cent of the cohort between the ages three and 18 years old were not attending school. "We want to build out the infrastructure to accommodate that 20 per cent," he said, adding that Government was striving towards compulsory education for all Jamaican children.
    "We want to make sure that every Jamaican child has a place in a school," Holness said.
    "It is not an impossible task; it would require us to build about 100 schools and repair and expand existing schools," he added.

The education minister explained that the public/private partnership being sought would be administered much the same way as the Highway 2000 project where partners funded the construction and operation of the schools and were repaid over an extended period, "usually 30 years". ( ) but ah wha dis faada!
    The education minister was, however, uncertain about local private sector participation in such a venture, saying that overseas partners may have to be sought.
    ".While we may not have the full capacity we can strike partnerships with companies abroad," he said.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Again, Holness is doing a good job! And without the fanfare, cass-cass and bangarang.

I know he is concerned about quality, so I'm confident he'll try to make sure that these new schools do not pull us further down.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Do they have the personnel (quality teachers ) to work in the schools once built? T&T has been on a school building programme for the last so many years...schools are built but many times the kids are in a classroom with no teacher... understaffed and those on staff are not committed.
      Peter R

Comment

i was watching "let's do it again" a cosby/potier CLASSIC with my Mom last night and there was a line in there where the elder of the temple of the children of shaka ....... uttered this now famous line "YES WE CAN DO" the context and everything caused me to think if obama had seen that movie prior to adopting his slogan....

btw a **************** funny movie!! tonite mi promise her fi watch either "uptown saturday night" or "piece of the action".....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Again, Holness is doing a good job! And without the fanfare, cass-cass and bangarang.

I know he is concerned about quality, so I'm confident he'll try to make sure that these new schools do not pull us further down.

Good to hear that. Maxine Henry was not impressive at all in my view.

Love to see this new guy kick it up a notch or 2.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Mi glad a nuh mi post it cause unnu would find something fi say bout it
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Mi glad a nuh mi post it cause unnu would find something fi say bout it
              I posted it and guess what... people had something to say about it.

I'm glad too.

Comment

yesterday I was saying the same thing about individual ministers performing even if the government is not firing in all areas.

Ah bwoy.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

and what's the point? that's the case in most administrations.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well that is what I was talking about Barlett and you went on a tanget about the government.

Comment

HUH?!? What are you talking about?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X